Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,153    Downloads: 830,595   Msgs Posted: 111,239   Thread Views: 16,608,031   Online Now: 69
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalSportsReport View Post
If the visitors use the entrance by their bench, they would walk by the hallway that separates the IceDogs business office and the IceDogs dressing room. There are entrances to both the office and dressing room down this hallway. So in order to increase the buffer space between the visiting team and IceDogs area, they are using the corner exit. However, even if the visiting team entered by their bench, I doubt the lower lobby area would be opened up. This lobby is for people seated on the floor (ice surface) for concerts and other events.
The biggest female washroom in the place is located in this concourse. During the open house last week we were shown the washroom and it was obvious they were proud of it and now it's not accessible. Just dosn't make sense to me.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

I read earlier in this thread that the ticket office is on the ground floor. I have tickets at the will call for tonights game. How can I pick them up if I use the bridges to get in?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:08 AM
3rd Line

the octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckerMan View Post
Guys we have only played one game in the new digs , everyone needs to chill. As far as people needing to go out for a smoke , I couldn't care less, except when they come in and sit near me reeking of it . If you can't go 2to 3 hours without one then you have problems. These are the rules deal with it, if you don't like the rules then stay home. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening at the game and will enjoy every other game at the Meridian center. I put up with the Jack, now I wish they would level it and put up another parking garage. I am so thankful for the new digs.
You are missing the point that this no re-entry rule will likely lead to lower ticket sales and/or lower alcohol sales which will have a negative effect on the financial success of the new building. We want to have lots of people coming to the games consistently. Not just opening night and in the playoffs.

PS. Smokers are people too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the octopus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 AM
2nd Line

notldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of light

It looks like most of my problems here were already addressed aside from the mixed drinks I really liked having that option at the Jack. TOP PRIORITY!!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 AM
3rd Line

DogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
Don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant to be malicious in any way, but what the heck is so important about a power ring for advertising? I've not ever heard of a fan wanting MORE advertising. Myself, I'm happy to see less of it. I don't think it should have any place on the ice - I actually love seeing old 80's hockey games where there's none on the boards! I don't think not having an LED power ring is even an issue to anyone (else). ???
Yeah I knew it would sound absolutely ridiculous to some lol, so I'll explain it this way? For some like yourself you're old school and prefer the look of the 80's with zero advertising in arenas. I grew up watching that too and respect your opinion deeply!! For others and yes there are others who atleast like it because it makes them feel like they're actually in a big league arena and not Jr. B arena. When London first notified the public about the new LED Power Ring posters/fans from various teams on the OHL OPEN FORUM were talking about how jealous they were that London was getting one, and how it would really feel like an NHL style arena now. (I tried to find the thread but had no luck so here is an old one from when MSG got there first Ribbon advertising back in 2007) Many people think they look awesome.

This is what the PR team said when London announced there new LEDPR

Quote:
"The 360 elevates our game day experience allowing more interaction with our fans in attendance and it refreshes how our corporate partners can communicate their brands and messaging on a game by game basis to the local community”
I understand the gaudiness of advertising to some, maybe many? But not only is it not going away, it is also a huge revenue stream for every major sports team/venue across the planet. However if it was just about revenue stream it would have faded years ago, research shows that it actually livens up the casual fans experience. Not everyone going to the new Meridian Centre is a hockey fan AD, lots are going for the experience it gives back in there own backyard. Same reason I love the new HD Video boards is the reason I love the LED Power Ring... because it is ever-changing, HD, interactive and vibrant.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Game Media

fourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud of

RE: Music volume:

There seems to be mixed thoughts on this. We will continually try to tweak the volume and levels to be comfortable yet engaging. The first game is always a problem because although we had done extensive testing of all the AV systems leading up to the game that was literally the first time the space was filled to capacity and sound travels and changes immensely as you add people to the space. We will work on this both based on fan feedback and also staff placed around the arena on game nights reporting back to the media booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeskyDog87 View Post
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I talked to Nick Williams of the IceDogs staff and he said that they will be getting the horn volume up to it's potential, the guys (and gals) running the presentation portion of the games are the Fourgrounds Media crew so they're just getting used to all of this. Everything will improve in time. Just gotta let it happen. I'm excited to see how loud the new goal horn system is.
Thanks for helping to clear this up. To clarify the horn: We brought over the horn form the old arena and have installed it here. It is not Mic'd or amplified and is an actual train horn so we are currently working out the proper PSI levels and tank sizes that SMG will allow the IceDogs to use. We (Fourgrounds) and the IceDogs staff are working hard to find the best way (SMG permitting) to get this to sound as loud as we can.

As PeskyDog mentioned, we are indeed new to the IceDogs team and will be continually refining and polishing the game day presentation. We were brought on board this season to take things up a level (media wise) and focus on entertainment, creativity and presentation. Those of you who were at the opener probably noticed our bright and shiny new graphics and video content, as well as our roaming "crowd cam" with Lauraleigh. This is just the start, our goals are to make everyone in the arena want to come back not just because of great gameplay and hockey, but because the show experience is engaging as well.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Serving a Suspension

PuckerMan is really not well liked by the rest of the forum

Where I work smokers get more breaks then the other workers...lol, Cruz you know ,they need a smoke, so I really don't have any sympathy for smokers rights lol. Anyways anyone that would be leaving the arena during the game , would probably be for an emergency ( they probably wouldn't come back anyways), or somebody who parked where they shouldn't have parked. The only PEOPLE who really would require reentry are smokers. Hey this might be the perfect time for you all to quit, think of the money you would save. You could use all that extra money to spend at the concessions, its a win win situation. Lol

Last edited by PuckerMan; 10-18-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:01 AM
3rd Line

DogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalSportsReport View Post
The box office is inside the arena. It's at ground level right off the parking lot. As well, it is one of the bigger box offices in the league. The Kingston and Sarnia arenas don't even have inside box offices. They just have ticket windows on the outside wall of their arena like the Jack has. A couple of people have mentioned how nice the box office is compared to some of the other arenas. I totally disagree that is doesn't have a wow factor. I think the Meridian Centre has a big wow factor.

City staff toured multiple newly built OHL arenas and asked each city what they liked and disliked about their arena designs. Then the city incorporated the most desirable features into the Meridian Centre. If you look at the Oshawa, Sarnia and Guelph arenas, all of them have open concourses but there is no flex space in those arenas. There is no where they can set up multiple event tents (like the HTZ FM tent that was set-up above the retractable seats on opening night) or where they can set up a bouncer for the kids, or where they can set up nets for a target practice competition. So the large open area above the retractable seats was built as a flex space where different events and activities can take place. Last week, they set up a stage, tables and a buffet and had a reception there. Personally, I think the big open concourse above the retractable seats is a very smart idea.

As for the Sports Hall of Fame, there was plans to put in a wall and make it a separate room but for now they are leaving it open.

It all comes down to where you want to spend the money. Kingston does have nicer floors but I have friends that live in Kingston and they complain about the lack of legroom in the seats and the outdoor box office. As well, because Kingston has a ground level concourse, the dressing rooms are all placed in one end. This reduces the back stage area and makes set-up for some events difficult. The Meridian Centre uses almost the entire ground floor for dressing rooms and the back stage area. This allows the Meridian Centre to have more dressing rooms (6 rooms, plus the IceDogs room, plus a refs room) as well as having two star dressing rooms and a green room, and a huge back stage area.

The Meridian Centre has four full concessions stands (Guelph only has 2 full concessions stands) and we have a better video board then Guelph, Kingston or Oshawa. We also have the concert lobby on ground level with two washrooms and a concession stand which most mid sized arenas don't have.

I agree that the Meridian Centre does not have the finishing touches (like tile floors) that some arenas have. But this was not an oversite. They just chose to spend the money in other areas as finishing touches can always be added in later.
Awesome information LSR, thank-you so much!! That actually makes sense about the open space above the retractable seating if they utilize it properly during gameday. I was told the box office on the ground level was not for selling Ice Dog tickets (only Meridian Centre events) those tickets were outside and around where the Ice Dogs offices are located? Still think the front lobby is bland though, but don't get me wrong I still love this arena alot.
The Following User Says Thank You to DogDaze For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 11:13 AM
3rd Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgrounds View Post
RE: Music volume:

There seems to be mixed thoughts on this. We will continually try to tweak the volume and levels to be comfortable yet engaging. The first game is always a problem because although we had done extensive testing of all the AV systems leading up to the game that was literally the first time the space was filled to capacity and sound travels and changes immensely as you add people to the space. We will work on this both based on fan feedback and also staff placed around the arena on game nights reporting back to the media booth.

Thanks for helping to clear this up. To clarify the horn: We brought over the horn form the old arena and have installed it here. It is not Mic'd or amplified and is an actual train horn so we are currently working out the proper PSI levels and tank sizes that SMG will allow the IceDogs to use. We (Fourgrounds) and the IceDogs staff are working hard to find the best way (SMG permitting) to get this to sound as loud as we can.

As PeskyDog mentioned, we are indeed new to the IceDogs team and will be continually refining and polishing the game day presentation. We were brought on board this season to take things up a level (media wise) and focus on entertainment, creativity and presentation. Those of you who were at the opener probably noticed our bright and shiny new graphics and video content, as well as our roaming "crowd cam" with Lauraleigh. This is just the start, our goals are to make everyone in the arena want to come back not just because of great gameplay and hockey, but because the show experience is engaging as well.
You guys will do awesome and just getting the fans input is huge.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 AM
3rd Line

dutchguy7 has a spectacular aura aboutdutchguy7 has a spectacular aura aboutdutchguy7 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to dutchguy7 Send a message via Yahoo to dutchguy7

Any way the lights can be dimmed during a pre-game video on the scoreboard?
The Following User Says Thank You to dutchguy7 For This Useful Post: