Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,423    Downloads: 1,190,878   Msgs Posted: 121,191   Thread Views: 21,367,894   Online Now: 102
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:06 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,361 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsphotog View Post
Me personally, if the city came to me and said they would like to raise my taxes by $250 in order to give this city a complete overhaul, man pony up cause I am in. That's $35 million dollars a year just to new infrastructure development, could you imagine. Honestly, $250 is not that much to the average person in this city.

But sadly no, we will sit and complain about taxes going up $11 next year and yet wonder why our city is falling apart. Well don't wonder too hard, you need not look any further than those who complain about their tax's
I think the problem is that there is no transparency. People see their tax dollars going into this big black cloud and have no idea how each dollar is used.

If they said they were going to build a new project, and it would cost each person X dollars to do it, I think people would be much more willing to pay for things. But the problem with ANY government, is more taxes doesn't necessarily mean more money - just more waste.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
3rd Line

DogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura about

As someone who moved to the area 4 years ago from Windsor and has lived in a few small towns and cities in the province as well as Calgary and Vancouver growing up. This cities future is actually starting to look bright, the biggest problem I have witnessed here is the semi dispirited attitude from years of becoming a have not city as opposed to a have city. Your time is coming St. Catharines... slowly but surely!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DogDaze For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,361 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogDaze View Post
As someone who moved to the area 4 years ago from Windsor and has lived in a few small towns and cities in the province as well as Calgary and Vancouver growing up. This cities future is actually starting to look bright, the biggest problem I have witnessed here is the semi dispirited attitude from years of becoming a have not city as opposed to a have city. Your time is coming St. Catharines... slowly but surely!!
I can echo those words in my feelings. Living in ST. Catharines all my life, it's been sad to cities that were once only towns, grown to become larger than us. Granted, St. Kitts can't really expand as there's the lake to the north, NOTL to the east, Thorold to the South, and the west end is large zoned as 'green' and can't be built up on. But as far as the economy goes, this was a hugely majority industrial town with 3 booming GM plants. So that explains things.

When I first heard the 'O was coming back I really lit up, knowing it would be at least something to get us back on the map. If they can keep he ball rolling and hopefully get us a new building it would really help turn morale around with many people.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM
1st Line

hockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to behold

I'm new to the area, and I'm technically just out of Niagara Region, but I love Niagara. I enjoy the community spirit, the genuine friendliness, the down to earth nature of people. There's great casual restaurants and pubs, not to mention a Keg that would impress almost anyone. There are classic junior b rinks like those in Welland and Thorold -- not to mention the Jack, which may be too tight for the OHL but is perfect for junior b. There's the majesty of the Falls, the wineries, the escarpment, the worldwide recognition. There's Welland Pizza and St. Catharines Chicken Wings. Not to mention a world class university and one of the world's most famous canals.

You get the point. It's an amazing, unique region with a blend of cultures. Traditional Ontario culture. A taste of Quebec in parts of Welland. A partnership feeling with the U.S. A unique mix overall.

I see enthusiasm in young people and a desire to make Niagaea the best it can be. Yes, industrial losses have been rough, especially in Welland and St. Catharines. But it wouldn't be the first place to reinvent the economy, and it's happening and will continue to do so.

Build the arena. Find a way. I don't know the details, but this area deserves the OHL. It deserves optimism. It deserves a future as great as the history.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hockeyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 01:07 PM
1st Line

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

...nicely put.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
3rd Line

BlackLab has a spectacular aura aboutBlackLab has a spectacular aura aboutBlackLab has a spectacular aura about
Default NEW ARENA IN OUR CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan View Post
I'm new to the area, and I'm technically just out of Niagara Region, but I love Niagara. I enjoy the community spirit, the genuine friendliness, the down to earth nature of people. There's great casual restaurants and pubs, not to mention a Keg that would impress almost anyone. There are classic junior b rinks like those in Welland and Thorold -- not to mention the Jack, which may be too tight for the OHL but is perfect for junior b. There's the majesty of the Falls, the wineries, the escarpment, the worldwide recognition. There's Welland Pizza and St. Catharines Chicken Wings. Not to mention a world class uname iversity and one of the world's most famous canals.

You get the point. It's an amazing, unique region with a blend of cultures. Traditional Ontario culture. A taste of Quebec in parts of Welland. A partnership feeling with the U.S. A unique mix overall.

I see enthusiasm in young people and a desire to make Niagaea the best it can be. Yes, industrial losses have been rough, especially in Welland and St. Catharines. But it wouldn't be the first place to reinvent the economy, and it's happening and will continue to do so.

Build the arena. Find a way. I don't know the details, but this area deserves the OHL. It deserves optimism. Ittendancet deserves a future as great as the history.
You have this right on......This is what I have been saying and seeing in this area for some time! This whole area is prime tourist area, The Niagara Ice Dogs hockey club is in the tourist business. We, the volunteers on game night see a paid attendance from a wide area of Niagara Region. A new! spectator facilaty with EASY travel walkways and AISLEWAYS will keep people coming back. We have a great Thing going here and we must NOT let it slip away. The players love the area and many have suggested settling in the area when their careers are over; even ones who have been traded away! If people say retired people arent interested, the development of the area is about the future, not the past. Oh yeah...I am retired and a property owner in ST Catharines.......Retired Man..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackLab For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,384 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!
Default Dooesn't this look like a beautiful arena.

http://fallsconventions.com/video.html

http://fallsconventions.com/video2.html

If only they put ice in it.

Last edited by hockey123; 01-27-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Serving a Suspension

Canuck311 is absolutely hated by othersCanuck311 is absolutely hated by others

What a joke!

NIagara Falls is a corupt town..... what a joke..
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

Niagara falls would not support the icedogs they did not support the the thunder to much to do in the falls
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
3rd Line

dogsphotog is just really nicedogsphotog is just really nicedogsphotog is just really nicedogsphotog is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
Nope, looks more like a beautiful convention center. No room or desire or even thoughts to put ice in it. Trust me I know as I worked on the design for one of the proposals submitted to the city.

As convention centers go, it should be good for the region, with such a wide variety of stuff to do in the Region I think this will be great. Again, how do I know, well I went to school for Hotel & Restaurant management and my Step Dad is the Executive VP for the worlds largest site selection and meeting services company.

I don't see how this is a joke, or what it has to do with the Falls being a corrupt town. I do know that the city never did fully appreciate the Thunder and I think that is why the new NFCC never intended on having an Arena.

Tags
new arena