Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,078    Downloads: 815,437   Msgs Posted: 108,935   Thread Views: 15,817,178   Online Now: 67
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 PM
dogged74's Avatar
dogged74 dogged74 is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,123
Thanks: 656
Thanked 598 Times in 381 Posts
dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

My biggest fear from all this is not only that it will cause the death of a handful of teams in the OHL, but also that it will cause the OHL to raise ticket prices to the point that it is unaffordable to buy a season ticket package. So that the ticket that used to cost $25 now costs $55. The whole point of the OHL, to me as a hockey consumer, is exciting, competent hockey at a reasonable price. I don't know, maybe we who have been going to OHL games for years have gotten spoiled. But if OHLers start getting paid like professionals, who pays?
Me.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:21 PM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 167
Thanks: 17
Thanked 157 Times in 69 Posts
5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
What's raising ticket prices going to do? If teams thought they could bring in more revenue by raising ticket prices they would have done it yesterday. Aside from London and Kitchener raising ticket prices would not bring in more money.
Most teams don't really know how much they can charge for tickets. If they up the price, some fans will stay away and it may be difficult to get them back, even if prices are reduced. So most teams play it safe and are hesitant to increase prices too much. However, if teams have to pay the players, a lot of teams will lose money and will be forced to raise prices to stay afloat.

The judge has already ruled that the lawsuit can be certified as a class action which is a win for the players side. If they are successful with the actual lawsuit, I think we are definitely looking at major changes to Junior hockey, including fewer teams and higher prices. The fans have a lot to lose unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:32 PM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 167
Thanks: 17
Thanked 157 Times in 69 Posts
5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
My biggest fear from all this is not only that it will cause the death of a handful of teams in the OHL, but also that it will cause the OHL to raise ticket prices to the point that it is unaffordable to buy a season ticket package. So that the ticket that used to cost $25 now costs $55. The whole point of the OHL, to me as a hockey consumer, is exciting, competent hockey at a reasonable price. I don't know, maybe we who have been going to OHL games for years have gotten spoiled. But if OHLers start getting paid like professionals, who pays?
Me.
Exactly. It's no different than what has happened in the NHL or MLB. 30 years ago Jays tickets were $4 for the outfield and $30 for the infield. A good Sabres ticket was $40 - $50. Then player's salaries went from hundreds of thousands per season to millions per season and ticket prices skyrocketed. Ticket buyers who couldn't afford tickets were replaced by businesses who scoop up season tickets to give out to clients.

That is when minor league sports, including the OHL, saw increases in attendance as fans who still wanted to see sports switched to the cheaper priced minor league tickets.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:35 PM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Top Prospect
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 1,620
Thanks: 1,224
Thanked 867 Times in 497 Posts
retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

This whole court process is a long way from being over.
I am sure that all of the 60 owners have a plan A, plan B and so on.
There will be quite a few options for the owners to go if the final ruling goes against them
One example and this is all to way to the extreme level,,,, that this brings an end to the scholarship program or, a good size tweaking to it.
This is way down the road and the lawyers will make truck loads of money.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-01-2017, 04:09 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,458
Thanks: 1,074
Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,051 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

I checked with Environment Canada and although we have had a lot of rain lately, the sky is not falling. There are many options available and to pay a minimum wage was estimated at $300,000 per team. If a couple teams that aren't selling tickets currently have to fold sooner rather than later it paves the way for new teams or a stronger OHL with fewer markets.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
  #26  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:06 PM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 167
Thanks: 17
Thanked 157 Times in 69 Posts
5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I checked with Environment Canada and although we have had a lot of rain lately, the sky is not falling. There are many options available and to pay a minimum wage was estimated at $300,000 per team. If a couple teams that aren't selling tickets currently have to fold sooner rather than later it paves the way for new teams or a stronger OHL with fewer markets.
I think there are a number of teams, perhaps as many as half the league, that make an annual profit of less than $300,000. To pay for this extra expense, either ticket prices will go up or expenses will need to be cut. Perhaps the OHL ends the scholarship program, but that will result in more kids going to the NCAA, lowering the quality of hockey. Or maybe they do what the ECHL does. Their salary cap is around $300,000 per team per year. They only have 20 players on their roster, only dress 16 skaters and 2 goalies each game, have no video replay and only have one ref to keep costs down.

No matter how you look it at changes will have to be made if the OHL is forced to pay players and those changes will not be positive. Or otherwise atleast 5 or 6 teams will be forced to fold as they won't be able to afford an extra $300 000 per season.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 05-03-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 PM
hockey123's Avatar
hockey123 hockey123 is offline
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Section C
Posts: 3,035
Thanks: 356
Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,284 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I think there are a number of teams, perhaps as many as half the league, that make an annual profit of less than $300,000. To pay for this extra expense, either ticket prices will go up or expenses will need to be cut. Perhaps the OHL ends the scholarship program, but that will result in more kids going to the NCAA, lowering the quality of hockey. Or maybe they do what the ECHL does. Their salary cap is around $300,000 per team per year. They only have 20 players on their roster, only dress 16 skaters and 2 goalies each game, have no video replay and only have one ref to keep costs down.

No matter how you look it at changes will have to be made if the OHL is forced to pay players and those changes will not be positive. Or otherwise atleast 5 or 6 teams will be forced to fold as they won't be able to afford an extra $300 000 per season.

A)It won't be an extra $300,000. The players aren't going to get to keep all the perks they get now plus get paid.
B)Raising ticket prices will not increase revenue. If it would they'd already be raised.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2015