Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,118    Downloads: 826,452   Msgs Posted: 110,519   Thread Views: 16,331,597   Online Now: 59
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
It's definitely not to early to say he's a bust he is also part of the reason why I've said adding draft picks in trades doesn't guarantee you anything
Draft picks are a 'chance'. Not a certainty. Many factors go into a good pick, becoming a great player.

The scouting staff has to identify talent, the player has to work hard to get bigger and stronger improving on skating, and skills. But the onus is on the coaching staff ( and to a lesser extent, teammates ), to guide the development of the player. Almost every player who comes in is a raw lump of clay in need of moulding, shaping, such to become a work of art. Very few players got that under the past regime because they were so focused on winning in the 'now' ( and we all reaped the benefits, and enjoyed some great playoff hockey ), but it was at the cost of developing players like Cal Davis. And to a lesser extent Ben Jones, Haden Davis, etc...

It's a balance that was poorly struck in the past. Is it time to give up on Cal Davis? Ship him off and hope someone else can develop him into a better player? I honestly can't say. But, he would have to really show something in Thorold before I'd be willing to bring him back. Same with Ryan Smith, he didn't seem to find his footing with us so far. Granted he only saw time in 7 games. But in those games, he failed to impress.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Draft picks are a 'chance'. Not a certainty. Many factors go into a good pick, becoming a great player.

The scouting staff has to identify talent, the player has to work hard to get bigger and stronger improving on skating, and skills. But the onus is on the coaching staff ( and to a lesser extent, teammates ), to guide the development of the player. Almost every player who comes in is a raw lump of clay in need of moulding, shaping, such to become a work of art. Very few players got that under the past regime because they were so focused on winning in the 'now' ( and we all reaped the benefits, and enjoyed some great playoff hockey ), but it was at the cost of developing players like Cal Davis. And to a lesser extent Ben Jones, Haden Davis, etc...

It's a balance that was poorly struck in the past. Is it time to give up on Cal Davis? Ship him off and hope someone else can develop him into a better player? I honestly can't say. But, he would have to really show something in Thorold before I'd be willing to bring him back. Same with Ryan Smith, he didn't seem to find his footing with us so far. Granted he only saw time in 7 games. But in those games, he failed to impress.
Yes I know how draft picks work my I was just saying he's proof that getting all these draft picks that people want doesnt mean anything
Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes I know how draft picks work my I was just saying he's proof that getting all these draft picks that people want doesnt mean anything
Isn't that a bit like saying 'the sky is blue, the grass is green?'.

Which was my point. We all know draft picks are a craps shoot. Further I also was pointing out that we have not had a great track record for developing picks ie. Cal Davis, HDavis, Jones etc... Hell Knott and Paquette don't seem to have developed the way most people thought they should.

But with picks, there is possibility, there is optimism, the bright light that makes a rebuild worth suffering as a fan.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Isn't that a bit like saying 'the sky is blue, the grass is green?'.

Which was my point. We all know draft picks are a craps shoot. Further I also was pointing out that we have not had a great track record for developing picks ie. Cal Davis, HDavis, Jones etc... Hell Knott and Paquette don't seem to have developed the way most people thought they should.

But with picks, there is possibility, there is optimism, the bright light that makes a rebuild worth suffering as a fan.
I think Paquette turned out to be just fine same with Knott it all depends on your expectations of them
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 04:16 PM
1st Line

the dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud of

next put Aaron Haydon back on def and cut D Austin Clapham
The Following User Says Thank You to the dog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
next put Aaron Haydon back on def and cut D Austin Clapham
Doubtful that they move Haydon even though they should and why cut him let him play and maybe you can trade him sometime this year or maybe even next year
Old 11-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Rookie

dogs'r'us is on a distinguished road

They might be able to get a small bag of pucks for him
Old 11-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Doubtful that they move Haydon even though they should and why cut him let him play and maybe you can trade him sometime this year or maybe even next year
Gotta agree with you, someone will be willing to take him, even if it's for a late round pick, or if he was part of a package deal... Sudbury took Wilkie off our hands last year, and I felt he was a much bigger defensive liability than Clapham...
Old 11-13-2016, 09:46 PM
1st Line

the dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud of

3rd rd pick Cameron Bisson 17 not putting up great numbers this year with kemptville cchl games played 19 goals 2 asst 1 total 3pts
Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
3rd rd pick Cameron Bisson 17 not putting up great numbers this year with kemptville cchl games played 19 goals 2 asst 1 total 3pts
Not really suprising I thought he would be the next Anthony difruscia without (a big shut down **** disturber) minus all the points