Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,078    Downloads: 815,409   Msgs Posted: 108,879   Thread Views: 15,804,280   Online Now: 59
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawger View Post
Just another quick rant about the draft...first off, I am a die hard fan and am believe the Burkes want to continue building a winning team here. But the draft is a crap shoot of young kids...after the first round who knows what will transpire! I applaud Joey Burke for getting the truckload of picks at the trade deadline, but honestly I would have gone in a totally different direction. I would have kept Paquette (who I have always liked-not a superstar but solid and would have been here another year) and Hal Davis and probably Cal Davis...the Davis kids are 17! We supposedly had a stellar draft a couple of years ago and the only high draft pick still with the team is Jones...Of all the draft picks we picked up the only one to affect this team in the near future will be next years 2nd (which is Peterborough's so it will be a low second)...we dont have a second round pick (that we made on our own) playing on the team now, and the only 3rd rounder (we picked) is Dhillon. I would have traded Mantha and Haydon for whatever I could have gotten (even low round picks)...there is where our scouting and drafting come into play (Singer 8th round, Ham 6th round, Phillip 9th, Hunter 12th, Sommerville 14th, Shaffer 6th, Dame 13th)...my favorite deadline moves were grabbing Maksimov and Brack...at least we know what we have in Maksimov (and similar player to Paquette in terms of development) and we should have him for next year. As I said, I love the dogs and junior hockey and hope it really works out for us...at least we have the guts to make deals and try!
that draft is proving not to be so stellar after all... I for one am glad that the Davis boys are gone... they were both useless here and Paquette turned into a disappointment just like Graham Knott was therefore im glad that all the transactions were made and I truly believe that it made this a much better team, now and in the near future
Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 AM
1st Line

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawger View Post
Just another quick rant about the draft...first off, I am a die hard fan and am believe the Burkes want to continue building a winning team here. But the draft is a crap shoot of young kids...after the first round who knows what will transpire! I applaud Joey Burke for getting the truckload of picks at the trade deadline, but honestly I would have gone in a totally different direction. I would have kept Paquette (who I have always liked-not a superstar but solid and would have been here another year) and Hal Davis and probably Cal Davis...the Davis kids are 17! We supposedly had a stellar draft a couple of years ago and the only high draft pick still with the team is Jones...Of all the draft picks we picked up the only one to affect this team in the near future will be next years 2nd (which is Peterborough's so it will be a low second)...we dont have a second round pick (that we made on our own) playing on the team now, and the only 3rd rounder (we picked) is Dhillon. I would have traded Mantha and Haydon for whatever I could have gotten (even low round picks)...there is where our scouting and drafting come into play (Singer 8th round, Ham 6th round, Phillip 9th, Hunter 12th, Sommerville 14th, Shaffer 6th, Dame 13th)...my favorite deadline moves were grabbing Maksimov and Brack...at least we know what we have in Maksimov (and similar player to Paquette in terms of development) and we should have him for next year. As I said, I love the dogs and junior hockey and hope it really works out for us...at least we have the guts to make deals and try!
Draft picks and drafted players are a commodity, no more, no less... This is the business of the OHL. You trade players, to get picks, that you later trade for a puzzle piece that may let you get further into the playoffs... Paquette, and both of the Davii ( plural of Davis ) were under performing. You get that with high end draft picks sometimes. Kids flop in this league, regardless of where you pick them. Sometimes they flop on one team, and come into their own on another.

I don't think the market was there for overagers this year, it just wasn't. Very few teams were looking, and Turtle McSlowerson ( Mantha ) and The Gentle Ginger Giant ( Haydon ) were not really upgrades for anyone, or not enough of an upgrade to make a move. So here we are, they stay, and we moved younger guys. The return was higher, and we keep established leadership, which can be both a positive and a negative.

This team has an opportunity, we now have lots of picks with which to buy that puzzle piece in 2 years. To empty the cupboard for a stellar piece to help us in a deeper playoff run. And we will give thanks to JB, The Davii and Paquette for helping that happen. Hopefully next year at the deadline we can move one or two more players for a couple more picks which can be used the following year to really load up.

But it would also be nice if we could load up on prospects next year, that may not be ready to play next year, but will be a help the following year when we make our big push. This could be a really special team in 2 years, if they don't screw it up by panicking and trying to push too hard next season. This season is a wash, next year, I could see us as a middle of the pack team.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree... I think we will be there next year but not a big enough contender to bet the farm on save the cupboard for the following season
Old 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM
1st Line

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs77 View Post
I agree... I think we will be there next year but not a big enough contender to bet the farm on save the cupboard for the following season
Now if only management sees that, and doesn't jump the gun a year early... Would rather just sit back in the weeds, have a moderate playoff run next year, maybe losing in the 2nd or 3rd round... Then load up the following year to take the east, maybe the whole OHL if the West isn't TOO strong. lol. But that's putting the cart before the horse... This team has already exceeded my expectations at the start of the season. So let's see the boys finish strong, and see where the chips fall to end this season.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Now if only management sees that, and doesn't jump the gun a year early... Would rather just sit back in the weeds, have a moderate playoff run next year, maybe losing in the 2nd or 3rd round... Then load up the following year to take the east, maybe the whole OHL if the West isn't TOO strong. lol. But that's putting the cart before the horse... This team has already exceeded my expectations at the start of the season. So let's see the boys finish strong, and see where the chips fall to end this season.
I thought I heard at the rink that the organization didn't think they would be ready to make another run till 2018.. therefore I don't see them jumping the gun next season
Old 02-04-2017, 03:05 PM
4th Line

modaymorninggm is a jewel in the roughmodaymorninggm is a jewel in the roughmodaymorninggm is a jewel in the rough

It is great to follow the loyalty of the fans on this site. People saying they prefer this team to last year's that won a conference championship. Wow that is loyalty. Commenting that this year's team is over achieving. They are in 18th place in a 20 team league and only 1 point ahead of the 19th place team that plays in the much tougher western conference. How is that over achieving unless the expectation was to be dead last in the entire league. Rebuild does not mean bottom out - when the Ice Dogs won their first Conference championship they easily made the playoffs the next year. Being in 9th place in the 10 team Eastern Conference in a year where many say the Eastern Conference is the weakest in history is not over achieving.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
It is great to follow the loyalty of the fans on this site. People saying they prefer this team to last year's that won a conference championship. Wow that is loyalty. Commenting that this year's team is over achieving. They are in 18th place in a 20 team league and only 1 point ahead of the 19th place team that plays in the much tougher western conference. How is that over achieving unless the expectation was to be dead last in the entire league. Rebuild does not mean bottom out - when the Ice Dogs won their first Conference championship they easily made the playoffs the next year. Being in 9th place in the 10 team Eastern Conference in a year where many say the Eastern Conference is the weakest in history is not over achieving.
quite simply put... they were expected to finish dead last and they were only expected to get 10 wins... 15 would have been a stretch on the entire season... most of us have set our expectations based on the fact that we have 11 rookies on the roster therefore no one expected the results we are getting from Castleman, Philip and Corneil for that matter even Thomas has exceeded my expectations offensively... yes we prefer this team from our championship team that we had last season... reason being: the come out every game to play for the most part... it doesn't matter if its a 2-1 game or an 11-2 game they are still fighting till the end.... the same cannot be said about our eastern championship team from last year. some set their expectations as fans of the team others set their expectations according to their hockey knowledge and the understanding of the game and knowing that with 11 rookies on a team in the ohl. you are not expected to win but you are expected to show improvement in your development.....

I'll take the heart of my 18th place 2016-17 icedogs over the half hearted 2015-16 eastern championship team that we had last year, especially since had it not been for the q\acquisition on Ned we likely would have barely scraped into the playoffs and probably would have had an early exit... and that was with a team that that was expected to win the OHL not just the east
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dogs77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Top Prospect

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

We also are going to the game this evening being that I still like this team more than last year's underachievers; even though they won a banner.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM
1st Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
My personal thought on looking at this team on paper at the beginning of the season was that we would be lucky to win 15, and would likely finish at the bottom of the league. Not because this is a small-ish team, not because this is a young, inexperienced team... But because this is a young, inexperienced, small-ish team. There is a lot working against these boys. What no one really expected was this would be a scrappy team, a lucky team, and a team with more heart than most of their opponents. And our schedule was front loaded with games at home. I am very interested to see how this team does vs some more top teams on the road. Top teams seem to bring out the best in these boys, which is heartening as a fan.

In my opinion, to say that they're not overachieving is naive at best, and at worst shows more than a little 'homerism'. Just because they've been lucky in past rebuilds is not something that can be applied to this team. Past Performance, does not guarantee future results. This is a team that was decimated after last season, the rookies/prospects of last season ( who got little to no useful development ) are being called on to be leaders within the team. The boys may not all 2000 born, but some of the boys who were 1999 born may as well be.

While having done very well for themselves this year, I'm pretty sure no one would have predicted Matt Philip to score 11 goals before his season was cut short. Castleman has scored 12, and could well reach high teens. Singer has 9 and is probably not done scoring. And I think it would have been lunacy for anyone to predict Akil Thomas creeping up on 20 with so much time left in the season.

In summation, this is not a team that should have won more than 13 - 15 games. They are small, inexperienced, and their talent ( and in many cases confidence ) is just 'Not There' yet. But it will be. This should be a tougher team to beat next year, because they are a tough team to beat this year. And they will get better the longer they are able to keep them together. But. All in all, they have overachieved. And I like it that way. Rather back a scrappy battler, than a bunch of spoiled brats who don't feel like giving 100%.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM
1st Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
We also are going to the game this evening being that I still like this team more than last year's underachievers; even though they won a banner.
I will be watching on TV, sadly the Mrs has to work... But I'm heartened to hear that there will be some good representation by our fans...
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post: