Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,073    Downloads: 759,494   Msgs Posted: 107,742   Thread Views: 14,203,191   Online Now: 51
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Blacksox Blacksox is online now
Top Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Thanks: 528
Thanked 1,173 Times in 532 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
It is great to follow the loyalty of the fans on this site. People saying they prefer this team to last year's that won a conference championship. Wow that is loyalty. Commenting that this year's team is over achieving. They are in 18th place in a 20 team league and only 1 point ahead of the 19th place team that plays in the much tougher western conference. How is that over achieving unless the expectation was to be dead last in the entire league. Rebuild does not mean bottom out - when the Ice Dogs won their first Conference championship they easily made the playoffs the next year. Being in 9th place in the 10 team Eastern Conference in a year where many say the Eastern Conference is the weakest in history is not over achieving.
The fact that a team with double digit number of rookies already has more wins (16W and 8 T) after 50 games than were expected to have after 68 games is by definition “over-achieving: do better than is expected.”!

…and it is impossible to overlook the fact that the Ice Dogs’ compete level is extraordinarily high - 18 one goal loses is nothing short of amazing!

Here they all are:

01 Oct HAM - 4 vs NIAG 3 Meridian Centre
02 Oct NIAG -3 vs PBO – 5 (EN) Memorial Centre
10 Oct NIAG -3 vs NB – 4 North Bay Memorial Gardens
13 Oct SAR - 5 vs NIAG – 4 Meridian Centre
15 Oct OSH – 2 vs NIAG – 1 Meridian Centre
19 Oct ER – 6 vs NIAG -5 Meridian Centre
21 Oct NIAG – 5 vs MISS – 6 Hershey Centre
28 Oct NIAG - 4 vs BARRIE - 5 (SO) Meridian Centre
29 Oct NIAG - 1 vs OWEN SOUND - 2 (OT) Community Centre
03 Nov NIAG - 1 vs HAMILTON - 2 Meridian Centre
04 Nov NIAG - 5 vs NB - 6 (SO) Meridian Centre
16 Nov NIAG - 2 vs HAMILTON - 3 (OT) First Ontario Centre
04 Dec NIAG - 3 vs SARNIA - 4 (OT) Progressive Auto Sales Arena
10 Dec NIAG - 2 vs Mississauga - 3 (OT) Meridian Centre
27 Jan NIAG - 0 vs Kingston - 3 (Note: 2 empty net goals in final 25 seconds) K-Rock Centre
28 Jan NIAG - 4 vs Ottawa - 5 (OT) TD Place Arena
02 Feb NIAG - 4 vs Mississauga - 6 (Empty net goal) Meridian Centre
03 Feb NIAG - 2 ve Peterborough - 3 Meridian Centre
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
  #32  
Old 02-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Strome18's Avatar
Strome18 Strome18 is offline
Bulldogs Fan
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 259
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Strome18 has a spectacular aura aboutStrome18 has a spectacular aura about
Default

And i thought the bulldogs were bad with 11 this seasin that tops us lol
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Strome18's Avatar
Strome18 Strome18 is offline
Bulldogs Fan
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 259
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Strome18 has a spectacular aura aboutStrome18 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
The fact that a team with double digit number of rookies already has more wins (16W and 8 T) after 50 games than were expected to have after 68 games is by definition “over-achieving: do better than is expected.”!

…and it is impossible to overlook the fact that the Ice Dogs’ compete level is extraordinarily high - 18 one goal loses is nothing short of amazing!

Here they all are:

01 Oct HAM - 4 vs NIAG 3 Meridian Centre
02 Oct NIAG -3 vs PBO – 5 (EN) Memorial Centre
10 Oct NIAG -3 vs NB – 4 North Bay Memorial Gardens
13 Oct SAR - 5 vs NIAG – 4 Meridian Centre
15 Oct OSH – 2 vs NIAG – 1 Meridian Centre
19 Oct ER – 6 vs NIAG -5 Meridian Centre
21 Oct NIAG – 5 vs MISS – 6 Hershey Centre
28 Oct NIAG - 4 vs BARRIE - 5 (SO) Meridian Centre
29 Oct NIAG - 1 vs OWEN SOUND - 2 (OT) Community Centre
03 Nov NIAG - 1 vs HAMILTON - 2 Meridian Centre
04 Nov NIAG - 5 vs NB - 6 (SO) Meridian Centre
16 Nov NIAG - 2 vs HAMILTON - 3 (OT) First Ontario Centre
04 Dec NIAG - 3 vs SARNIA - 4 (OT) Progressive Auto Sales Arena
10 Dec NIAG - 2 vs Mississauga - 3 (OT) Meridian Centre
27 Jan NIAG - 0 vs Kingston - 3 (Note: 2 empty net goals in final 25 seconds) K-Rock Centre
28 Jan NIAG - 4 vs Ottawa - 5 (OT) TD Place Arena
02 Feb NIAG - 4 vs Mississauga - 6 (Empty net goal) Meridian Centre
03 Feb NIAG - 2 ve Peterborough - 3 Meridian Centre
If it makes you feel any better you could be a top 4 team in conference if those 18 games were all wins lol
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 PM
Blacksox Blacksox is online now
Top Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Thanks: 528
Thanked 1,173 Times in 532 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome18 View Post
If it makes you feel any better you could be a top 4 team in conference if those 18 games were all wins lol
Actually, if that was the case, the Ice Dogs would be first place in the East with 69 points!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-04-2017, 06:54 PM
g_squad's Avatar
g_squad g_squad is online now
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Section 113
Posts: 227
Thanks: 367
Thanked 166 Times in 88 Posts
g_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
My personal thought on looking at this team on paper at the beginning of the season was that we would be lucky to win 15, and would likely finish at the bottom of the league. Not because this is a small-ish team, not because this is a young, inexperienced team... But because this is a young, inexperienced, small-ish team. There is a lot working against these boys. What no one really expected was this would be a scrappy team, a lucky team, and a team with more heart than most of their opponents. And our schedule was front loaded with games at home. I am very interested to see how this team does vs some more top teams on the road. Top teams seem to bring out the best in these boys, which is heartening as a fan.

In my opinion, to say that they're not overachieving is naive at best, and at worst shows more than a little 'homerism'. Just because they've been lucky in past rebuilds is not something that can be applied to this team. Past Performance, does not guarantee future results. This is a team that was decimated after last season, the rookies/prospects of last season ( who got little to no useful development ) are being called on to be leaders within the team. The boys may not all 2000 born, but some of the boys who were 1999 born may as well be.

While having done very well for themselves this year, I'm pretty sure no one would have predicted Matt Philip to score 11 goals before his season was cut short. Castleman has scored 12, and could well reach high teens. Singer has 9 and is probably not done scoring. And I think it would have been lunacy for anyone to predict Akil Thomas creeping up on 20 with so much time left in the season.

In summation, this is not a team that should have won more than 13 - 15 games. They are small, inexperienced, and their talent ( and in many cases confidence ) is just 'Not There' yet. But it will be. This should be a tougher team to beat next year, because they are a tough team to beat this year. And they will get better the longer they are able to keep them together. But. All in all, they have overachieved. And I like it that way. Rather back a scrappy battler, than a bunch of spoiled brats who don't feel like giving 100%.
Auld, I agree 100% with what you say but I also strongly feel that scrappy or not, without Dhillon, this team still doesn't win more than 10 games. His play this season has been nothing short of phenomenal most nights. Without him backstopping the boys, I doubt that they would have the confidence to achieve as much as they have. Many games, he has been hung out to dry allowing the team to focus more on offence.

I'm loving the play of this years' IceDogs and expect they will continue to grow and improve as a team. However, in order to truly improve, they will need to tighten up their defensive play. All in All, I am loving going to this years' games probably even more than last year.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g_squad For This Useful Post:
  #36  
Old 02-04-2017, 08:24 PM
strohs's Avatar
strohs strohs is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 2,880
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1,077 Times in 598 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
My personal thought on looking at this team on paper at the beginning of the season was that we would be lucky to win 15, and would likely finish at the bottom of the league. Not because this is a small-ish team, not because this is a young, inexperienced team... But because this is a young, inexperienced, small-ish team. There is a lot working against these boys. What no one really expected was this would be a scrappy team, a lucky team, and a team with more heart than most of their opponents. And our schedule was front loaded with games at home. I am very interested to see how this team does vs some more top teams on the road. Top teams seem to bring out the best in these boys, which is heartening as a fan.



In my opinion, to say that they're not overachieving is naive at best, and at worst shows more than a little 'homerism'. Just because they've been lucky in past rebuilds is not something that can be applied to this team. Past Performance, does not guarantee future results. This is a team that was decimated after last season, the rookies/prospects of last season ( who got little to no useful development ) are being called on to be leaders within the team. The boys may not all 2000 born, but some of the boys who were 1999 born may as well be.



While having done very well for themselves this year, I'm pretty sure no one would have predicted Matt Philip to score 11 goals before his season was cut short. Castleman has scored 12, and could well reach high teens. Singer has 9 and is probably not done scoring. And I think it would have been lunacy for anyone to predict Akil Thomas creeping up on 20 with so much time left in the season.



In summation, this is not a team that should have won more than 13 - 15 games. They are small, inexperienced, and their talent ( and in many cases confidence ) is just 'Not There' yet. But it will be. This should be a tougher team to beat next year, because they are a tough team to beat this year. And they will get better the longer they are able to keep them together. But. All in all, they have overachieved. And I like it that way. Rather back a scrappy battler, than a bunch of spoiled brats who don't feel like giving 100%.


Just think how much better they would be if their atrocious power play wasn't so awful.

I was expecting a non playoff year this year. Simply too much turnover. Even Dhillon was not a sure thing. This team is a lot better than I was expecting. Also, how many one goal game losses do they have ?

Their record is bad, yes , and the east is bad, yes, IMHO they are playing better than their record shows.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-04-2017, 08:26 PM
strohs's Avatar
strohs strohs is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 2,880
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1,077 Times in 598 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome18 View Post
If it makes you feel any better you could be a top 4 team in conference if those 18 games were all wins lol


Ok but it's not realistic to think they'd win all 18. But imagine if they won half of them ? They would be comfortably in a playoff spot ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
  #38  
Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 PM
AuldBone's Avatar
AuldBone AuldBone is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Close enough to the glass to moon the ref...
Posts: 967
Thanks: 974
Thanked 475 Times in 299 Posts
AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Just think how much better they would be if their atrocious power play wasn't so awful.

I was expecting a non playoff year this year. Simply too much turnover. Even Dhillon was not a sure thing. This team is a lot better than I was expecting. Also, how many one goal game losses do they have ?

Their record is bad, yes , and the east is bad, yes, IMHO they are playing better than their record shows.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dhillon not a sure thing? How could he be... His development has been hindered by the fact he's had amazing goalies to play behind. I don't think one person on this board could honestly say they knew that he was going to be a season saver. Without Dhillon we look like Guelph did last year.

That being said... I think they're over working him. 3 starts in 3 nights, all tough opponents. I would like to see him sit a bit more often. I would have liked to see Incze get no more than 20 starts, for reference, last season Dhillon saw action in 24 games playing behind Moran and Ned... I get that they want to win every game, and that is great (however unrealistic), but how long until Dhillon gets tired, or injured.

Dhillon is really the MVP for the IceDogs this season. He keeps us in games. He steals games. We are where we are because he has put the team on his back. But he's a kid. I think it's great they want to show case him, and hopefully get him drafted. But I think that will happen regardless. Time to sit the boy down once every 4 games or so, if we miss the playoffs, we miss the playoffs. And I'm not saying don't dress him. Just make him take a night off.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
  #39  
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 PM
AuldBone's Avatar
AuldBone AuldBone is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Close enough to the glass to moon the ref...
Posts: 967
Thanks: 974
Thanked 475 Times in 299 Posts
AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_squad View Post
Auld, I agree 100% with what you say but I also strongly feel that scrappy or not, without Dhillon, this team still doesn't win more than 10 games. His play this season has been nothing short of phenomenal most nights. Without him backstopping the boys, I doubt that they would have the confidence to achieve as much as they have. Many games, he has been hung out to dry allowing the team to focus more on offence.

I'm loving the play of this years' IceDogs and expect they will continue to grow and improve as a team. However, in order to truly improve, they will need to tighten up their defensive play. All in All, I am loving going to this years' games probably even more than last year.
D is about as tight as it's gonna get this season... lol

Betting on one or two D taken in the draft. Defensive Dmen... Hopefully big scary monsters ( I'm hoping for a Kevin Bahl type. Realistically though, how many 6'5 223 lb 16 yr olds are out there? And can the bear be taught to dance? )... Because with the loss of Mantha and Haydon, we have no one to replace them. As of now, next year's top 2 D are Lochead and Schaefer who have done good work all year... Our remaining D consisting of Sommerville, Hunter, MacPherson, Ham have all done everything that could be expected of them. But, so far they seem to lack size, and the ability to shut down other team's top lines.

*** [Not implying that Kevin Bahl is yet a 'shut down type Dman, but he has the size, and strength. Good coaching could turn him into a nightmare to play against.] ***

There are some kids drafted last year that could be come to camp and compete, but if they couldn't make this year's lineup, will they be THAT much better next season? Who knows. Which is why I have the feeling that they may try to draft some size and meanness on the back end.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
  #40  
Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 PM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 146
Thanks: 17
Thanked 150 Times in 63 Posts
5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
It is great to follow the loyalty of the fans on this site. People saying they prefer this team to last year's that won a conference championship. Wow that is loyalty. Commenting that this year's team is over achieving. They are in 18th place in a 20 team league and only 1 point ahead of the 19th place team that plays in the much tougher western conference. How is that over achieving unless the expectation was to be dead last in the entire league. Rebuild does not mean bottom out - when the Ice Dogs won their first Conference championship they easily made the playoffs the next year. Being in 9th place in the 10 team Eastern Conference in a year where many say the Eastern Conference is the weakest in history is not over achieving.
I would agree with you that last year's team was much better. I have friends who tell me they miss last year's highly skilled team and how much better it was watching them. I think the problem is that so many people on this forum believed that every loss last year was due to a lack of effort, which was not the case. The whole country club thing was grossly overexaggerated on this forum.

But if you don't think this team is overachieving, your expectations before the season began were probably not realistic.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2015