Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,159    Downloads: 832,123   Msgs Posted: 111,336   Thread Views: 16,652,878   Online Now: 56
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
5 or 6 spots? I see 3 maybe 4 spots
But you're also the guy who wanted to leave Dave Bell without a contract for a few years so maybe GM isn't your thing?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I'd do it! Next year we finish high-middle with or without him, two first rounds the following year and picks to trade from "whoever" is a great investment.
It is interesting to note that Hughes' older brother (1999 Quinn, who played with Strome, McLeod and Jones on the Marlies team that won the GTHL championship and OHL Cup 2 years ago) went to the NCAA route via the NTDP program in the US and has just been announced as being on Team USA for the upcoming U-18s. He has committed to Michigan. Their Dad is Jimmy Hughes, former Director of Player Personnel for the Leafs and former Captain at Providence, so knows the NCAA system. Quinn was a certain 1st round OHL draftee until he decided the week before the draft to commit to the NTDP and ended up being drafted in the 3dr round (49th) to Sarnia, who still hold his rights. So thus far Quinn has committed to NCAA and stayed there.

Hard to imagine that someone won't take a bet on Hughes this Saturday, but I would not waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a no-show potential. 3rd or 4th round if you have "picks to burn" - for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,312 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Problem with Hughes as apposed to the Mete's, Brown's and Domi's is his threat of going to NCAA may very well be legit. If they have a team willing to trade for him I'd take him but if all you're getting for him is a compensation pick it isn't worth it IMO. I'm kind of hoping they take him but hope it doesn't blow up in their faces if they do.
The Following User Says Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
But you're also the guy who wanted to leave Dave Bell without a contract for a few years so maybe GM isn't your thing?
Yes I did want to leave it cause I thought he had a few years left
Old 04-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,039 Times in 849 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Normally, I would say take Hughes if he falls to the five spot. But, his brother is a NCAA commit, he may just go play with his brother there.

Yes, you get the comp pick, but it sets you back a year in your rebuild. You also don't get the picks that you normally get when you trade away a defected player. Because nobody will trade for him if he is truly NCAA bound.

Like I said, normally I'd call the bluff. This one is a little scarier than most.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
5 or 6 spots? I see 3 maybe 4 spots
Well, I see Brack, Haydon and Mantha aging out, and Dame, Smith, Johnson, Somerville, Incze, and possibly Hunter as being vulnerable to replacement. No one on that list really showed their 'best' I don't think. Didn't include Demin because he will be replaced through the Import draft.

We have 12 picks in the Priority Selection. Minimum 4 picks in the U18 Draft. And our 2 Import Draft. I think Machala did well, but I think if something better was available when the 2nd pick comes around I'd draft and let the 3 of them compete in camp for the 2 spots. Yes it's expensive, but... Could be worth it in the long run.

Hope that helps with my way of thinking.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawger View Post
Those are great ideas Auld...make the kid declare before the draft to avoid the shenanigans that tick off the average fan...and if he changes his mind he enters the draft the following year....it is a privilege to play in the OHL (the best junior league around) and an honour to be drafted there. If it ticks us off thinking people might not report to Niagara imagine how it must tick off the people in the much smaller markets. I too would draft Hughes if he fell to us, although I would hate a developmental year out of another top rookie, especially since we seem to be gearing for a major run in a couple of years!
I'm not sure that matters. Seriously, we will likely finish in the middle of the pack this season, regardless if we are developing a 1st rounder or not. One player is not going to impact us that much in that instance.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:33 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Well, I see Brack, Haydon and Mantha aging out, and Dame, Smith, Johnson, Somerville, Incze, and possibly Hunter as being vulnerable to replacement. No one on that list really showed their 'best' I don't think. Didn't include Demin because he will be replaced through the Import draft.

We have 12 picks in the Priority Selection. Minimum 4 picks in the U18 Draft. And our 2 Import Draft. I think Machala did well, but I think if something better was available when the 2nd pick comes around I'd draft and let the 3 of them compete in camp for the 2 spots. Yes it's expensive, but... Could be worth it in the long run.

Hope that helps with my way of thinking.
I think the 2 open OA spots will be replaced by OA's we bring in. I can't see Hunter or Somerville not making the team, unless the 2 OA's we bring in are D's. I also think Machala is a lock to come back. He will likely be a later round NHL pick. If they do make two picks in the Import Draft, they will need to release both Denim and Machala first.

I think anyone in the IceDogs system who who can play in the OHL played this past season. So perhaps the top 2 or 3 picks make the team this year but other than that, the team is pretty set.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 04-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:37 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
I'm not sure that matters. Seriously, we will likely finish in the middle of the pack this season, regardless if we are developing a 1st rounder or not. One player is not going to impact us that much in that instance.
I think they're going for a top 4 finish next season. Middle of the pack will likely be a disappointment.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Just read this on Twitter and it sure might make things interesting, but, remembering who posted the tweet.

OHLInsiders(.com)‏ @OHLinsiders 3m3 minutes ago

Hearing North Bay may take Tomassino @ #3 & flip him to Niagara for Rees. That way both teams get their guy & SAG forced to pick off board