Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,743    Downloads: 1,636,368   Msgs Posted: 130,471   Thread Views: 27,246,184   Online Now: 107
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Who should be fired?
Joey 2 5.26%
Billy 4 10.53%
Both 22 57.89%
Neither 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be like Christmas to see the Burke Boys both step down after an exit like this. But we know that’s not going to happen. You can do all the polls you like. Splash the results, in all caps, all over this page. But all of this disappointed rage is going to stay right here.
I have maintained from Day One when Marty Williamson was fired, that it was a recipe for disaster for the owners of any sports team to hire their kids to run the team. It’s true of any business that is run by family, that it’s all good if the business is doing well, all good. But if it’s not, any outside observer would surmise that the problems are ongoing because Head of Business is allowing problems to continue because they refuse to believe ‘problem’, is the fault of their kid, or kids. Everyone but the kid eventually gets fired, or quits.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
3rd Line

modaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Words to live by…
“Playing Oshawa in the second round, we got their best players and they got our young star,” IceDogs general manager Joey Burke said. “The pressure is on us here. If we don’t go out and beat this team, that does not look good on me.”

Unfortunately, this disappointing end to the season will most certainly result in a drastic decrease in STH and attendance numbers next year.

All this high end talent on one team – and to come up so short for me is “the disappointment”. I love when the IceDogs go all in. All I was hoping for was a deep playoff run – regardless whether it did or did not end up in championship. Just give us a reason to go to the rink with at least a chance to win something big - and enjoy the excitement of meaningful playoff hockey in a rink that is rocking. Now, having to wait another 3 or 4 years after getting none of that this year is tough.

Sports are too unpredictable, so even if the IceDogs had come up a little short it would not have bothered me in the least, but instead left me excited to come back again next year – watch another rebuild and try it again in a few years successful or not.

For those looking to talk off season hockey, I’ll post the 2019-2020 prospective roster – complete with all the IceDogs prospects and possible incoming and outgoing players.

So, until training camp, enjoy your summer.
Kudos to Joey for saying it is on him. I guess that is a little easier when daddy owns the team and there is absolutely no chance you will lose your job, no matter how many mistakes you make
The Following User Says Thank You to modaymorninggm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM
1st Line

hotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond repute

Lets see how fast they get the season ticket renewal forms out now. Maybe we should all hold off on paying until we get we we want.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,204 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog fan View Post
Lets see how fast they get the season ticket renewal forms out now. Maybe we should all hold off on paying until we get we we want.
Good luck with that !!! LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,138 Times in 668 Posts
dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog fan View Post
No one is making any of us buy tickets... the team took a chance and it didnt work... at the end of the day all the trades aside it was a dun year to watch. Sure next year wont be so fun but we said that the last time as well. At the end of the day it was still one of the best years in franchise history and for that i will applaud all the parts that made this season what it was.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dogs77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,204 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs77 View Post
No one is making any of us buy tickets... the team took a chance and it didnt work... at the end of the day all the trades aside it was a dun year to watch. Sure next year wont be so fun but we said that the last time as well. At the end of the day it was still one of the best years in franchise history and for that i will applaud all the parts that made this season what it was.
I am looking forward to next season.

During our camp last fall, there were a number of players who would have made the team, in my opinion had this not been our go all in year.
Most likely, they will return in September along with any new free agent players. Mix them with our returning crew that are not going to be traded for picks, We will have 3 goalies in camp that are signed already, and then they add our two committed players from this draft, and hopefully include Halliday.

I do not believe that we will be as bad as Kingston was this season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,233 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs77 View Post
"Fun" is not the word I would use to describe the season. Frustrating is the word I would use.

I have no problem with them "going for it". In today's OHL, unless you are London you have to put your eggs in one basket and go for it. BUT, going out in the second round to the team that you gave your 1st, three 2nds and 3 thirds to is embarrassing.

I've heard from more than one season ticket holder that has said if Junior is back behind the bench next season, they will not be buying their season tickets again. These are people that have been there since day one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,105 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Will anybody in the local press / media ask ownership these tough questions ?

Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Will anybody in the local press / media ask ownership these tough questions ?

Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know the answer... No... No reason to... Don't want to risk losing their access... Would rather loft softballs at the team, and accept pablum answers. I don't expect them to be covering the team like Toronto media covers the Leafs... But looking back on last season there are some very big questions that the answers would maybe help the fan base move on faster.

That being said there is less than zero chance that any local media asks any pointed questions, they are soft on ownership, and coaching staff.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 AM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of

I don’t think either of the Burke boys are as bad as some of you think. The problem is that both are young and inexperienced. Having both an inexperienced coach and inexperienced GM is not ideal. I think if the IceDogs could do it over again, they would have kept Williamson as GM. Instead they let Williamson go, and moved Dave Bell to head coach and Joey to GM. That would have been okay but I think Dave knew his time with the IceDogs was limited and when he saw a more secure job, he took it. That meant they either had to try to hire a new experienced coach, which would have been difficult since everyone knew this was going to be Billy’s team as soon as he got a few more years experience, or they had to promote Billy a little earlier than they wanted to. They chose to promote Billy and here we are.

I think if we all give the Burke boys some time, they may become very good at their positions. Nobody is born a great coach or great GM. That takes time and experience. How much time we don’t know - perhaps as little as 4 or 5 years. Until then, we just need to be happy that Bill took the risk and brought the team here to play in a tiny old arena with no promise of a new rink. I am grateful we have the OHL and I think the IceDogs will try even harder now to get good recruits (like NCAA bound players) to report to the IceDogs.

The ending to this season was hard to swallow, perhaps more so because the short term future is going to be rough given how much we gave up this year. But the IceDogs will eventually recover and so will us fans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post: