Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,708    Downloads: 1,577,035   Msgs Posted: 128,739   Thread Views: 25,917,487   Online Now: 105
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:41 PM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

It will never happen as long as the team is owned by Mom and Dad. We just have to be happy that we still have a team here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s nothing more than wishful thinking that the Burke Boys are ever going to step down. Best case scenario, someone else, outside the Burke family shows up, cheque in hand, and buys the team.
Now, one nice thing about the Burkes’ ownership IMO, is their strong commitment to the franchise, and to it staying here in St. Cath. It would almost be interesting to see, if the Burkes ever did pull up stakes, if the OHL would facilitate another OHL franchise relocation to the MC. I think Niagara is a consistently good OHL market, and the IceDogs have done a good job at rooting themselves into the Niagara Region market. And I’d like to think even if the Burkes did walk away from the Dogs, that the OHL would see enough value here to do whatever was necessary to find new owners.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:04 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,095 Times in 747 Posts
three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
Itís nothing more than wishful thinking that the Burke Boys are ever going to step down. Best case scenario, someone else, outside the Burke family shows up, cheque in hand, and buys the team.
Now, one nice thing about the Burkesí ownership IMO, is their strong commitment to the franchise, and to it staying here in St. Cath. It would almost be interesting to see, if the Burkes ever did pull up stakes, if the OHL would facilitate another OHL franchise relocation to the MC. I think Niagara is a consistently good OHL market, and the IceDogs have done a good job at rooting themselves into the Niagara Region market. And Iíd like to think even if the Burkes did walk away from the Dogs, that the OHL would see enough value here to do whatever was necessary to find new owners.
Just because a team is sold it doesnít mean relocation Windsor about to be sold and they are staying despite a drop in attendance over the years.
The Following User Says Thank You to three dog night For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed so. A league will typically seek out local interested buyers first. And I think that would be ideal in this case. I have nothing personal against the Burkes. I quite like them personally. But at this point, I’m starting to doubt them as far as competence. I think Joey Burke is quite a likeable guy. But I think this 2018-19 year needs to be Joey’s final kick at it.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:09 PM

Thanked 3,360 Times in 1,835 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I’m ok with yelling at the refs .... maybe once a game ... not after every stinking whistle lol
As someone who is adept at yelling at the refs, I can tell you that to be effective it can't be every game (unless it's Burchell - always yell at Burchell).
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
As someone who is adept at yelling at the refs, I can tell you that to be effective it can't be every game (unless it's Burchell - always yell at Burchell).
Marty seemed like he yelled every game and it seemed effective more often than not
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 PM
Big League

That might be true, 777, but I think Marty had a bit more credibility built up than Billy Burke has. My fear is that the refs, good and bad, treat Billy like an annoying joke. Having said that, I think I should emphasize here that I like Billy. I think he’s a good guy; he just doesn’t have much currency with the officials across the OHL.
I just don’t know how you earn credibility with officials.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:05 AM
3rd Line

modaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to allmodaymorninggm is a name known to all

I agree Marty yelled as most coaches do. You are right he had built up some credibility. It came from 10+ years as a head coach in the league. I think we need to relax and be fans instead of dissecting every little thing. Billy and Joey will be here for as long as their parents own the team. Their parents will own the team for as long as Billy and Joey want to run it. Why you ask? Because it makes them boat loads of money and because neither Billy or Joey could get the same job with a team that was not owned by their parents. Simple - so let's enjoy OHL hockey and cheer for the Ice Dogs as they are because that is the way they will be for the foreseeable future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modaymorninggm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
That might be true, 777, but I think Marty had a bit more credibility built up than Billy Burke has. My fear is that the refs, good and bad, treat Billy like an annoying joke. Having said that, I think I should emphasize here that I like Billy. I think heís a good guy; he just doesnít have much currency with the officials across the OHL.
I just donít know how you earn credibility with officials.
Sure Marty had more credibility but the point still remains IMO everyoneís only focused on Billy doing it not because he has less experience but because we didnít win and heís a Burke. As for how you earn credibility with refs who knows many itís just by being there for a certain amount of years or maybe (this is highly unlikely) heíll never get it cause refs could view it like some fans heís only there because mom and dad own the team even though heís put in the time
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,200 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Sure Marty had more credibility but the point still remains IMO everyoneís only focused on Billy doing it not because he has less experience but because we didnít win and heís a Burke. As for how you earn credibility with refs who knows many itís just by being there for a certain amount of years or maybe (this is highly unlikely) heíll never get it cause refs could view it like some fans heís only there because mom and dad own the team even though heís put in the time
Marty didn't yell, scream and kick his feet every game like Billy does. He picked his spots. That's the difference, know when to pick your battles. No need to throw your arms up and scream bloody murder on a questionable hooking penalty of a 4-1 game in the first period in October. Save it for when it matters on a play that matters in a game that matters. It's like the boy that cried wolf, eventually he just gets ignored. I'm wondering how many other coaches got two games for swearing at the ref this year? Obviously, the league took notice as well. Do you think they noticed just because of his last name too?

Believe me, I sat in a suite this year for a game. In the suite right next to Joey Burke. He was the same way. He was losing his mind, throwing his arms in the air and moaning about a questionable icing call in the first period. The Dogs were beating Barrie 5-0 at the time.

Time and place, time and place.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post: