Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,343    Downloads: 886,510   Msgs Posted: 117,569   Thread Views: 18,209,096   Online Now: 93
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,275 Times in 759 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Joey Burke and his staff really impressed me last season when he got all of those 2nd round picks for us plus the addition of Maksimov and the deadline and I salute him.

I, on the other hand am not overly impressed with the off season acquisitions of Shankar and Roberts. Maybe in the second half, they will prove me wrong.

I am really curious to see what happens at the deadline. Another player like Maksimov would be a nice addition as long as the cost is not too high. I would move a player and mid round picks or prospect to achieve this.

We shall see and I still really like this team, but, they can get better this season.

Go Dogs Go

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 12-17-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Rookie

Meowinawoofworld will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
I understand the frustration of the folks here but I think we need to trust Billy & Joey Burke on this one. They have turned this team around and recovered from the Williamson era with smart trades and astute drafting (20 of the 24 players on the roster are draft picks that Niagara made). They obviously see the value these two players bring. The team has done better than we all hoped for and I think we need to be patient and let them truly turn this organization into theirs
I think a lot of the frustration might come from changing expectations. Even though Billy mentioned 40 wins at the start of the season (another thread is covering that), I think a lot of us might have had slightly lower expectations. To use an overused line - if someone had told us at the start of the year that we'd be where we are, I believe we would all take. But, we started off really hot so expectations naturally change. In terms of your numbers of players on the team, I do need to correct you a little bit. Only 18 of the 24 were drafted by Niagara (Maksimov, Bruder, Carbonara, Lochead, Shankar, and Roberts). Of those 18, 15 of them were drafted by Marty (by the way, can we end the conversation about him, it's been a year and a half, get over it). Yes, Joey has done a good job with some trades and getting draft picks, but "astute drafting," we don't know yet, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The one thing that is similar from his coaching and Billy's is that 16 year old rookies have a tough time cracking the lineup.

Personally, I'm happy with where the team, staff included, is. So, enjoy the holiday and the rest of the season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meowinawoofworld For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan of Shanker but he not the reason we lost the two home games this week
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to three dog night For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,407 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by three dog night View Post
Not a fan of Shanker but he not the reason we lost the two home games this week
He wouldn't have been the reason if we won them either
Old 12-18-2017, 03:44 PM
2nd Line

Red has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog fan View Post
I have wondered how he made it this far with playing like he does. He can't skate can't shoot and is always in the way or just standing around and watching the play. I'm with other forum members and want him gone. Also for his size he is not a physical player one hit in 20 games does not make him a physical player and I don't care what he is like in the room he needs to make his presence felt on the ice.
Whatever Joey saw in Shankar isn't there anymore. Not in skill, toughness, skating, passing, or energy. If it exists in the dressing room then hire him back as a cheerleader, but for the sake of the team put someone on the ice who can play. I think perhaps he Joey Burke) is worried to ditch this OA for fear it would tarnish his reputation. For me, it would only enhance it, rather than saying "giddy-up" on the proverbial dead horse.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the team’s lukewarm performance this year leaves me unable to say whether the team has exceeded expectations or not. I’m not saying they’ve played horribly, but this team can’t score. Yet they have also ‘exceeded expectations’, according to most on here.
As far as the ‘what to do at the deadline’, I just don’t know. Man, I wish the defence could score. A competent defenceman who could score from the blue line would be perfect. Just somebody who could successfully move the puck up to the forwards and keep it in at the opposing blue line would be a dream come true.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,352 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Shankar's not a bad player but there's really no reason to have him here playing ahead of Constantinou and Hunter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

My preference would really be to have Billy Constantinou playing. I really don’t think the IceDogs lose very much by having Constantinou ahead of Shankar. Neither OAer has has stood out here.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 05:42 AM
3rd Line

jumbo1290 is a name known to alljumbo1290 is a name known to alljumbo1290 is a name known to alljumbo1290 is a name known to alljumbo1290 is a name known to alljumbo1290 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
My preference would really be to have Billy Constantinou playing. I really donít think the IceDogs lose very much by having Constantinou ahead of Shankar. Neither OAer has has stood out here.
dogs lose a lot without Shankar; , teams have tried to intimidate the Dogs (ie Knights Dec 7 ) and someone has to answer; in that game it was Lochead; Shankar can destroy players with a hit; opponents need to be wary of that
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,407 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1290 View Post
dogs lose a lot without Shankar; , teams have tried to intimidate the Dogs (ie Knights Dec 7 ) and someone has to answer; in that game it was Lochead; Shankar can destroy players with a hit; opponents need to be wary of that
How many hits like that did Shankar throw against North Bay or Barrie?