Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,791    Downloads: 1,865,050   Msgs Posted: 134,618   Thread Views: 32,029,631   Online Now: 169
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,316 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I too hate the shootout ... and it has nothing to do with my flyers being the worst team in the history of the NHL in the shootout ...

Put the shootout at the beginning of the game and then play the game ... guarantee that the third period and OT would be different when one team KNOWS that if it’s tied at the end of OT they only get one point. Do sudden death shoot out too .... if after one round it’s 1-0 too bad so sad you lost the shootout ... on with the game ...

Shootout in every game will appeal to the Americans and those who love this gimmick ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does not matter where they put that damn shootout, it is still a gimmick and I hate it and always have. Play the game until a winner is declared.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:03 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,254 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
It does not matter where they put that damn shootout, it is still a gimmick and I hate it and always have. Play the game until a winner is declared.

I hear ya on that .... I just can’t see them doing that in the regular season simply because of the travel issues and compacted schedule ...

I would be all for like a 76 game schedule and sudden death OT and no shootout in the regular season ...

Old 01-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Nope. No ties. Play until there is a winner.
Love the idea can’t do it in the regular season though unless you are getting rid of 3 in 3 weekends and back to backs of longer than a few hour trip
Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,311 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Love the idea can’t do it in the regular season though unless you are getting rid of 3 in 3 weekends and back to backs of longer than a few hour trip
Sure you can, in junior hockey games rarely go long without scoring. Especially if it's 3 on 3. Another 10 minutes isn't going to effect anything in terms of travel or wear and tear on the players. They're kids, they bounce back ridiculously quick. In addition, with today's no hit hockey, it's not nearly the same as in the past.

Last edited by fishfan51; 01-15-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Curmudgeon

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Sure you can, in junior hockey games rarely go long without scoring. Especially if it's 3 on 3. Another 10 minutes isn't going to effect anything in terms of travel or wear and tear on the players. They're kids, they bounce back ridiculously quick. In addition, with today's no hit hockey, it's not nearly the same as in the past.

I guess I was talking more about the NHL not the OHL

The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM
Junior Hockey Research Analyst

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,898 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

I’m all for hockey games having a winner and loser, but the overtime model used to resolve a tie hockey games is an embarrassment to majors sports and a travesty to the “win / loss” record .

It is the ONLY major sport that actually changes a major rule of the game to decide a winner in OT. Hockey is 5 v 5 not 3 v 3. This equates to basketball going to a 3v3, football limiting teams to 9 v 9, baseball sending only "8 Men Out" and soccer playing 30 minutes of 7 v 7.

Playing 3 on 3 hockey does not decide a winner and loser of a hockey game, it only decides the winner of the 3 on 3 overtime game. As long as the overtime rules are different from the official rules of the game than it does not resolve anything other than one team earned an extra point.

Like Strohs' previous mic drop…play 5 v 5 until someone scores or don’t bother playing overtime at all. If anyone in hockey's rules committee actually thought 3 on 3 was fair - it would be used in the playoffs. The fact that they don’t, tells you everything you need to know.

Last edited by Blacksox; 01-15-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:42 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,181 Times in 811 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!

GOHL remains a tie game if overtime does not decide the game it five minutes four on four and five minutes three on three I remember the first tie I saw three years ago felt strange leaving the arena.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 PM
2nd Line

slamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely despise shootouts. What a joke. No way to resolve a team sport. Only other sport I can think of that has used this kind of solution is soccer with penalty kicks.
I can tolerate (barely) the 3 on 3.

I would love someone to formally suggest a home run contest in baseball...or free throws in basketball...or field goal kicks in football. See how that would go over.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:53 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,181 Times in 811 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!

I know baseball was kicking the idea of putting a man at second base to start an extra inning but it did not go anywhere.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by three dog night View Post
I know baseball was kicking the idea of putting a man at second base to start an extra inning but it did not go anywhere.

I believe they do that in the minor leagues

I think that’s stupider than three on three OT

The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post: