Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,776    Downloads: 1,715,309   Msgs Posted: 132,821   Thread Views: 28,765,764   Online Now: 202
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:16 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default OHL Trade Deadline 2020

Well folks, we may have already seen Akil Thomas in an IceDog sweater for the last time in that 11-3 rout of Kingston. So what do you think? With Akil having traded his Black and Red for Canadaís Red and White, do the Dogs do the deal and announce after the WJC? Do the Dogs wait until the absolute last second and pull in a haul of picks? Surely they donít go out and get another Tom Kunhackl at tremendous cost in terms of picks?
Old 12-21-2019, 11:27 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,157 Times in 681 Posts
dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!dogs77 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
Well folks, we may have already seen Akil Thomas in an IceDog sweater for the last time in that 11-3 rout of Kingston. So what do you think? With Akil having traded his Black and Red for Canada’s Red and White, do the Dogs do the deal and announce after the WJC? Do the Dogs wait until the absolute last second and pull in a haul of picks? Surely they don’t go out and get another Tom Kunhackl at tremendous cost in terms of picks?
Not to come off as rude but Akil Thomas was already gone before that huge win... Also they cannot do anything with him till his world Jr's experience is over

Last edited by dogs77; 12-21-2019 at 11:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,477 Times in 1,747 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Interesting trade deadline this year.

The west could potentially have multiple buyers. Only 7 points separates 1st from 8th. With the West Conference up for grabs, all those teams could be buyers of various degrees.

That is in stark contrast to what is unfolding in the east – 23 points separated 1st from 8th. At the unofficial midway point, there are only 3 buyers – Ottawa, Peterborough and Sudbury (as a result of Byfield being NHL bound next year).

Akil Thomas would be most team’s number one trade target – of course, that only being the case if Barrett Hayton is not returned to the OHL post WJC. However, that scenario would seem unlikely (but not impossible) for several reasons:

<>Hayton has played 14 games which means he has burned the first year of his ELC.

<>Although the key number for NHL GM’s is if a player reaches the 40 game mark, which means the season counts as an accrued year of service towards the 7 years required to become an unrestricted NHL FA.

<>Arizona Coyotes’ management have indicated that the plan is for Hayton to return to the NHL. Upon his WJC return, Arizona would only have 37 games remaining, of which, Hayton could play 25 without starting his clock on unrestricted free agency.

Let’s assume that Arizona’s plans change, a case could be made that a Barrett Hayton trade could increase the urgency for an Akil Thomas (Ivan Lodnia) trade, as a contending team’s counter punch.

Either way, Akil Thomas will be highly sought after upon his return from the WJC.

Last edited by Blacksox; 12-22-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,223 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Article (or was it a lettter to the editor I can’t remember) in the Sudbury Star I saw on Twitter last night ... suggesting that instead of buying at the deadline they should sell Byfield to the highest bidder and set the Wolves up for the 20’s. Article suggests that the Wolves have too many holes I be a serious contender. I’d have to agree with that for one their goaltending is not championship quality.

They would get an enormous haul for Byfield who surely will be in the NHL next year.

I can’t imagine they don’t try and go for it if only to give a gift to their fans who haven’t seen a contender in who knows how long. I’d be shocked if they traded him.

But if they were to trade him that certainly would have a negative effect in Thomas’ market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Team Captain

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Article (or was it a lettter to the editor I can’t remember) in the Sudbury Star I saw on Twitter last night ... suggesting that instead of buying at the deadline they should sell Byfield to the highest bidder and set the Wolves up for the 20’s. Article suggests that the Wolves have too many holes I be a serious contender. I’d have to agree with that for one their goaltending is not championship quality.

They would get an enormous haul for Byfield who surely will be in the NHL next year.

I can’t imagine they don’t try and go for it if only to give a gift to their fans who haven’t seen a contender in who knows how long. I’d be shocked if they traded him.

But if they were to trade him that certainly would have a negative effect in Thomas’ market.

It was a fans opinion (letter to the editor) of what he believes Sudbury should do. Sudbury will be the number 2 seed and expect them to make a few deals to reward the fans. This is shaping up to be one of the more interesting trade deadlines in years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,281 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

A Petes fan has told me that JB was in Peterborough on Thursday taking in the Petes/Gens game.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,174 Times in 1,472 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
A Petes fan has told me that JB was in Peterborough on Thursday taking in the Petes/Gens game.
Both teams potentially in play.

With Oshawa looking to make a run next year and having a good team this year perhaps Tomasino goes there and Thomas to the Pete's.

Maybe something like Harrison, Moore and Walker for Castleman and Tomasino would work. Walker opens an overage spot and gives the Dogs some protection for their young roster the rest of the year. Castleman gives them some scoring depth on the cheap. Moore could be back for an overage year when hopefully Harrison, Enright and the 03 born first they hopefully get for Thomas are in their final years.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:05 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,151 Times in 790 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
Both teams potentially in play.

With Oshawa looking to make a run next year and having a good team this year perhaps Tomasino goes there and Thomas to the Pete's.

Maybe something like Harrison, Moore and Walker for Castleman and Tomasino would work. Walker opens an overage spot and gives the Dogs some protection for their young roster the rest of the year. Castleman gives them some scoring depth on the cheap. Moore could be back for an overage year when hopefully Harrison, Enright and the 03 born first they hopefully get for Thomas are in their final years.
Read on the Gens forum Walker is out for the season and maybe beyond.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:15 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,223 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
It was a fans opinion (letter to the editor) of what he believes Sudbury should do. Sudbury will be the number 2 seed and expect them to make a few deals to reward the fans. This is shaping up to be one of the more interesting trade deadlines in years.

Oh ok thanks I couldn’t remember what it was and was too lazy to look it up

I think they would be crazy to trade him they’ve got a generational OHL player who could win a series on their own

But they need a goalie badly

Not sure what else they need

If I was a wolves STH and if they traded him away I wouldn’t renew my seats

Old 12-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Team Captain

2020 OHL Trade Deadline Preview @BrockOtten
Monday, December 23, 2019

https://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/

Akil Thomas - Niagara IceDogs
At this point, Thomas has to be considered the crown jewel of the OHL trade deadline. If there was one player that I had to put money on moving, it would be Thomas. Niagara is in rebuild mode and Thomas is a premier playmaker who will be playing in the AHL next year. They need to recoup some young assets and picks back from their runs in recent years. This is especially true in light of the horrible injury to Tucker Tynan, which really put a damper on the IceDogs' playoff hopes. So who will be in on Thomas? Basically everyone. There is not a competitive team in the OHL that could not use his services. The better question is, which OHL team has the young player that Niagara will demand in return? Would Peterborough move local boy and recent first rounder JR Avon? I don't think they would. Would London part with Stuart Rolofs? What about Sudbury with Landon McCallum? Truthfully, I think the best and most likely dance partner is Saginaw. They want to improve their powerplay and get another top flight center and Thomas would be a great linemate for a guy like Cole Perfetti. Additionally, they could part with someone like Connor Punnett because of how well their other 03's have played (such as Josh Bloom who should have been a first rounder IMO).
Prediction: Thomas goes to Saginaw in exchange for Connor Punnett, OSH 2 2020, SSM 3 2021, SAG 2 2022, KGN 2 2024.

Philip Tomasino - Niagara IceDogs
Given the circumstances, I would be shocked to see Tomasino finish his OHL career in Niagara. But as an '01 (who does not have much of a chance of playing in the NHL next year), the IceDogs can be patient here. They have no reason to rush a deal for him. There will be a market for him, no doubt about it. The center position is one that will be heavily coveted. But given that they can just deal Tomasino next year or this offseason, would Niagara be smart to move him now? Why not wait and give yourself more options. This offseason could open up more talented 03's as trade options from other teams, and with the OHL likely hosting the Memorial Cup next year, the trade market is likely to be more competitive.
Prediction: Tomasino stays in Niagara.

Ivan Lodnia - Niagara IceDogs
I've been impressed with how Lodnia has played this year after being returned by Minnesota into the season. Not always easy to take that demotion in stride. But Lodnia has been an impact player and leader for Niagara. I'm not sure I see many OA's moving and Lodnia is in that group.
Prediction: Lodnia stays in Niagara.

Oliver Castleman - Niagara IceDogs
See Lodnia. Niagara has a great group of OA players this year but the market is just so crowded with very few teams looking to swap. Castleman is a great goal scorer and a hard worker, but he's not likely an upgrade over what other OHL teams currently have in their OA spots.
Prediction: Castleman stays in Niagara

Elijah Roberts - Niagara IceDogs
Another OA, Roberts is a slick skating offensive defender who can really help a team's transition game. But he's not the type of defender that competitive teams often look at to help their playoff push. This is especially true considering an OHL team would need to swap out one of their OA's for him.
Prediction: Roberts stays in Niagara
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post: