Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,120    Downloads: 826,799   Msgs Posted: 110,591   Thread Views: 16,350,397   Online Now: 59
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > Other > Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International

Notices

Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International All posts related to any hockey that is NOT about the IceDogs.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too Many Lines!

In watching the '17 Stanley Cup playoffs, something occurs to me: man, there have been a crapload of offside calls in these playoffs. Many of the calls (and I'm not blaming the linesman - they have been accurate for the most part)have been either very close, like a razor-edge of difference, or correct.
Having said that, man, do offsides ever take away from the flow of the game. In October or April. I have heard that when the red line was introduced in 1947, the idea was to 'speed up the game'. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never thought that adding barriers that must be crossed would make the game faster. If anything, I can only imagine that it could only slow it down. Now, a few years ago, the NHL decided to remove the Centre red line insofar as to allow two-line passes.
Let me ask you, fellow fans: what would happen if the Red Line were re-instated, and the Blue Lines were removed? No offsides, no two-line passes. What do you think? Too radical? Too dangerous? Or perhaps would this be a change that would open up the game in a way that would create offensive opportunities that we haven't seen in a generation?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 PM
3rd Line

pez3145 is a jewel in the roughpez3145 is a jewel in the roughpez3145 is a jewel in the roughpez3145 is a jewel in the rough

Have you ever watched a ball hockey game at one of the complexes ?
They used to use only the red line for offside the last time I played; things may have changed...but it is ugly.

Forwards pile up on the line and the defence bring it to the line, if there is no lateral pass then its dump and chase. It looks more like dodge ball than hockey. Even basketball is one line - half court press anyone? The neutral zone trap would be gone but so too would 'the stretch pass'.
The Following User Says Thank You to pez3145 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,121 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Agreed... would be like watching a tyke soccer game.