Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,708    Downloads: 1,574,507   Msgs Posted: 128,709   Thread Views: 25,864,369   Online Now: 105
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,200 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Jacob Paquette would be a huge boast to this rebuild. I’m surprised that he did not land an ELC immediately following the season. The longer this goes on – the less likely he is to get one this year, but will absolutely earn one in his OA season.

A return for Paquette, will most assuredly return the IceDogs 3 of the 6 – 2nd needed, for undoubtedly the best shutdown defenseman in the league next year.

RECOUPING TRADED DRAFT PICKS

Niagara IceDogs have left…
2020 1st, ___,___ ,___, 5th
2021 XX, ___, 3rd, 4th,___
2022 1st, ___,___, 4th, 5th
2023 1st, ___,___, 4th, 5th, *5th (Jake McGrath)
2024 1st, ___,___, 4th, 5th
2025 1st, ___, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2026 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2027 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
…and so on.

To refill the cupboards back to status quo, the IceDogs need to acquire:
<> 6 - 2nd
<> 4 - 3rd
<> 1 - 4th

Recouping those picks should not be a difficult task, with the players available to JB. As an example, in the off-season last year, D-Jack Hanley was traded to Guelph for a 2nd, 3rd , and a 4th.

THIS YEAR
<> Akil Thomas:2019 1st round pick (2003); 2-2nds and 2-3rds
<> Jacob Paquette: 3 - 2nd

2 of the following 5 OAs will have to be traded:
<> Drew Hunter: 2 - 2nd
<> Elijah Roberts: 1 - 2nd (and 1 - 3rd)
<> Also, B. Johnson, M. Phillips and O. Castleman could bring in some 3rd and 4th.

NEXT YEAR
<> Phil Tomasino:2019 1st round pick (2003); 3-2nds and 2-3rds

He should be able to recoup the picks or at least close to it. The thing is, when you're going for it, you should have more than just your normal cupboard of picks. You'd like to have a cupboard overflowing with picks. Sometimes you have to recognize it isn't the year to go all in. Remember Oshawa being in first place a few years back and selling. What resulted a year or two later was a Memorial Cup championship. Look at Ottawa this year. Odds on favorite to win the OHL this year, and a cupboard still overflowing with picks. They'll contend again next year. Although London was knocked out last week, they are built for next year and are bursting with picks as well because they sold last year.

My point is... Before the Dogs make another run, the cupboard should be overflowing with draft picks, not just back to even. They also need to acquire some young talent. I could be wrong, but I believe they were the only team to give up their 1st round pick from the last draft at the deadline. I'm sure Blacksox will have that info.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,513 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
He should be able to recoup the picks or at least close to it. The thing is, when you're going for it, you should have more than just your normal cupboard of picks. You'd like to have a cupboard overflowing with picks. Sometimes you have to recognize it isn't the year to go all in. Remember Oshawa being in first place a few years back and selling. What resulted a year or two later was a Memorial Cup championship. Look at Ottawa this year. Odds on favorite to win the OHL this year, and a cupboard still overflowing with picks. They'll contend again next year. Although London was knocked out last week, they are built for next year and are bursting with picks as well because they sold last year.

My point is... Before the Dogs make another run, the cupboard should be overflowing with draft picks, not just back to even. They also need to acquire some young talent. I could be wrong, but I believe they were the only team to give up their 1st round pick from the last draft at the deadline. I'm sure Blacksox will have that info.
Moore was the only 1st round pick trade this year, but last year and past year has a list of 1st round picks traded. It is not at all unusual for teams going for it to trade their 1st round pick. Connor McMichael, Cody Morgan, Hayton Fowler - and many others from the 2017 draft alone are example.

The IceDogs have at least 3 years to recoup picks over and above the status quo - players will emerge as expendable and not part of their target year in time. Fans need to remain calm, enjoy the hockey - and not be so panicked. It is unnecessary to condemn them without allowing the process to unfold.

JB put together a very talented team by his 3rd year - with very limited resources. You said it yourself, Marty traded everything that wasn’t nailed down last time. Joey has a lot more to work with this time around. He did it before so he can do it again.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And some people can't admit when he makes bad trades.

He deserves credit for good trades i.e. Lodnia, Maksimov.

He deserves criticism for bad trades i.e Miletic, Studnica/Brassard.

A good trade is a good trade and bad trade is a bad trade regardless of your last name.
Studnicka brassard trade was only bad IMO cause they didnít win if they did people would probably be like whatever we won just like every other go for it team.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,040 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default NIAGARA ICEDOGS’ HOCKEY

Quote:
You’re counting on them doing something that makes sense?

For the record, I agree. Next years deadline is when I would trade Tomasino. Just relaying what I’ve read/heard.

No

I’m not counting on them to do the right thing

Believe me

Lol

Part of me is worried he’s somehow involved in the Oshawa deal

#whatmeworry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
No

I’m. It counting on them to do the right thing

Believe me

Lol

Part of me is worried he’s somehow involved in the Oshawa deal

#whatmeworry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if heís part of the Oshawa deal thatís fine as long as itís done in January and we get Brett Harrison plus picks
Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,834 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
That seems to be the problem, taking a knee instead of spending. I get it, it sucks not being one of the good teams but I much prefer Ottawa's strategy. They spent a few years on the lower end of the spectrum and were preparing for next year. With plenty of picks in the bank and a cohesive team, they spent a little and can do so again next year. Niagara on the other hand did not seem to be cohesive near the trade deadline and with a limited warchest, threw the works at buying new players.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,834 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Studnicka brassard trade was only bad IMO cause they didnít win if they did people would probably be like whatever we won just like every other go for it team.
Niagara overpaid for Brassard and then ironically, Oshawa used some of our picks to upgrade their team and became stronger than they were. Having the "whatever, we won" attitude just means that you have no clue how to replicate your success when you get it.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Resident OHL Expert

fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
No, it was bad because Brassard was awful. Moore played better than him and he's 5 years younger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,513 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
No, it was bad because Brassard was awful. Moore played better than him and he's 5 years younger.
Moore and picks were traded to acquire Studnicka not Brassard. The cost for Brassard was only picks.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Moore and picks were traded to acquire Studnicka not Brassard. The cost for Brassard was only picks.
It was one transaction, not two. But, even if you want to go with that, they should have stopped at the Studnicka trade then and not spent picks on Brassard. My point remains the same, win or lose, they gave up too much to acquire those two players.