Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,097    Downloads: 818,016   Msgs Posted: 109,617   Thread Views: 16,065,259   Online Now: 65
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:48 PM
4th Line

Paws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the rough
Default Memorial Cup Format Needs A CHANGE

I'm just curious to all you rabid dog fans what your thoughts are regarding the format for the Memorial Cup Tournament. I was amazed to see that since the introduction of this format with the home team gaining an automatic bid in 1983, no less than ten home teams have won the cup. Maybe its sour grapes on my behalf but I was really pulling for the Erie Otters to capture the Mem Cup. They have had an amazing team the past 4 years and have quite a few Niagara connections. This is not taking away from the Spitfires who have proven that they are a great team as well, but I for one think the format should be revisited. I realize logistically, economically and interest wise this format works for the home team. However I still think that it should be the champions of the respective divisions. They have battled their way through their respective leagues and proven over the course of the run that they deserve to be there. Just throwing it out there to see if we could collectively come up with an alternative format .
Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM
4th Line

bauer124 has upset more than just a few in the past
Default MEMORIAL CUP

I would like to see a system like the Sutherland Cup the 3 league winners and a wild card one of the league finalist. Have a semi finals between the wild card and team with best record and have the 2 other teams playoff. Every series should be 4/7.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,292 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer124 View Post
I would like to see a system like the Sutherland Cup the 3 league winners and a wild card one of the league finalist. Have a semi finals between the wild card and team with best record and have the 2 other teams playoff. Every series should be 4/7.
Can't have high school aged kids flying back and forth across the country for a month straight.

I'd get rid of the hosting teams. Let the 3 winners play each other home and away and let the top 2 teams face in a final game. Hate seeing a team that didn't even win their league taking the top prize especially when they're resting for weeks while the other teams are kicking the **** out of each other.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 09:27 PM
4th Line

Paws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
Can't have high school aged kids flying back and forth across the country for a month straight.

I'd get rid of the hosting teams. Let the 3 winners play each other home and away and let the top 2 teams face in a final game. Hate seeing a team that didn't even win their league taking the top prize especially when they're resting for weeks while the other teams are kicking the **** out of each other.
Yes my sentiments exactly. Everyone making a big deal about Windsor being off for 44 days. These days they have such resources at the teams disposal, special dietary coaches, fitness coaches, sports psychologists etc. No wonder these guys were so well rested and prepared to play in the cup. Personally I believe it makes a mockery of the entire season. However we all know its all driven by money. Time to research a fairer playoff.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:31 PM
1st Line

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud of

I don't like the current format. However, I do think you will need a host city playing. Just to help sell the tickets.

No idea how you fix it without adding teams and turning it into a nearly 3 week event.

That might mean you need to remove 1 round of the OHL playoffs. Which would not bother me because I think too many teams make the playoffs.
--------------------

My Idea.

1 host city
1 champion of host city league (or second if host team wins league)

2 teams from 2nd league (league champ plus top points in reg season)

2 teams from 3rd league (league champ plus top points in reg season)

6 teams total. Round robin. Then 3 playoff games with top 4 teams.

So each team gets 5 games. Then up to 2 playoff games. You could do it over 15 days.

More games remove some of the home advantage of a weaker home team. Plus, because there is a second team from the home league. Some of those fans will travel for some games to help sell tickets.

Last edited by Dogs Enthusiast 104; 05-30-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
I don't like the current format. However, I do think you will need a host city playing. Just to help sell the tickets.

No idea how you fix it without adding teams and turning it into a nearly 3 week event.

That might mean you need to remove 1 round of the OHL playoffs. Which would not bother me because I think too many teams make the playoffs.
--------------------

My Idea.

1 host city
1 champion of host city league (or second if host team wins league)

2 teams from 2nd league (league champ plus top points in reg season)

2 teams from 3rd league (league champ plus top points in reg season)

6 teams total. Round robin. Then 3 playoff games with top 4 teams.

So each team gets 5 games. Then up to 2 playoff games. You could do it over 15 days.

More games remove some of the home advantage of a weaker home team. Plus, because there is a second team from the home league. Some of those fans will travel for some games to help sell tickets.
And if the host city that isn't a league champion wins again people will start pissing and moaning for change again... I believe that if the icedogs got in thrubthe back door like Windsor did and pulled off a memorial cup win this thread would not exist and we would all be in our glory... it is what it is... all 3 teams had a chance to beat them.. Erie had 2 chances and didn't get it done
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogs77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,079 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

10 times out of 34 years? Still means 70% of the time a champion wins it. I'm ok with that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,139 Times in 632 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I think the format is stupid .

They bill it as one of the hardest trophies to win.

I rarely ever watch it.

You want to have a host in ? Then make it harder for them to win.

If a host makes a finals instead of a one game winner take all make it :

2 game total goal series or
Best 2 out of 3 final

All the champions had a long run to get there.

Windsor was well rested, healthy, and planned well .

They were the best team that week.

But were they the best team all season? No

This tournament is all about $$$.

Every team in the CHL does not have an equal opportunity to be able to host it. We all know that. London has hosted 2x in ten years. Kitchener has also hosted 2x. I bet Hamilton gets it sooner than Niagara just due to capacity of their building.

The only way I'd be thrilled if the Dogs won it is if they went into the tournament as a league champion. If they ever won it as a host, u may as well put an asterisk on the banner when you raise it to the rafters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

I don't mind the Format of the tournament but if you want to change things the only things I would do is 1 find a way to add more teams and if you want to make the hosts earn it just give the memorial cup to a league and whoever ends up being champions (Erie this year since the OHL hosted) is the host team
Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 PM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this was the 99th memorial cup tournament.. does anyone know when this format started