Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,098    Downloads: 818,068   Msgs Posted: 109,621   Thread Views: 16,070,810   Online Now: 68
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,292 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

The thought of Billy coaching this team is scary but I thought the same about Joey getting the GM job and have no complaints so far. Who knows maybe he does a good job. I do know if this turns into a gong show and they do nothing about it I won't be renewing my tickets.

We all know it's coming sooner or later. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he doesn't already have the job is he doesn't think he's ready.

My vote assuming he has any interest in the job is Dan Timmins just like it was before Marty got the job.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:37 AM
4th Line

Paws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I never thought Bell would last the full 3 years anyways? And yea he might not be 100% ready but not sure you have many more options available
Yes very good point Dogs 777. My only concern about this announcement is that I wonder if this had been in the wind for awhile but they waited until season's tickets sales had reached a set amount until they revealed it. Either way it is the Burke's decision on what the future holds and we will have to wait and see. I read somewhere they are actually thinking about renaming the team, The Niagara IceBurkes LOL (icebergs). In addition the pregame warmups will be longer this season so that they can have enough time to announce all of the Burkes who are on the payroll for the team. Go Dogs Go !!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM

Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,080 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Is Ted Nolan still around ?
I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention him
Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
2nd Line

RobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I never thought Bell would last the full 3 years anyways? And yea he might not be 100% ready but not sure you have many more options available
Well if we go by " If you can't beat them , join them " rules.... we know Jeff Brown is doing nothing
Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Big League

Thanked 1,139 Times in 632 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Have to say I shuddered when Bell was named HC last year. He did an admirable job last year and I was really looking forward to the teams progress under his tutelage this year.

Could not agree more ... a name coach would go a LONG WAY to recruiting prospects who are dangling the NCAA. The problem is, this late in the season there are not many 'big name' coaches left to be hired.

Just like a big name coach would help a lot in recruiting ... I think having an inexperienced Burke will go a long way to HURTING recruiting ...

Really unfortunately I think the Dogs are in a bind and I really see no easy way of them finding a good solution to this problem.

Gotta say Bell really kinda put the screws to the Dogs by leaving this late in the offseason.

As much as I think he could be ready for a promotion ... think this is a low blow he dealt the Dogs.

And really, is an assistant coach in the ECHL a promotion from an OHL head coach? Geez I'm not sure about that .

I fear that Burke Jr will be named coach as the Dogs' have little options at this point ... I know it was going to happen sooner or later ... seems a little sooner to me than ideal ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Well if we go by " If you can't beat them , join them " rules.... we know Jeff Brown is doing nothing
...except then I would spend the whole season hoping we lost - just to watch him lose his mind
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,415 Times in 654 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws and Reflect View Post
Yes very good point Dogs 777. My only concern about this announcement is that I wonder if this had been in the wind for awhile but they waited until season's tickets sales had reached a set amount until they revealed it.
Not likely.

“It certainly came out of nowhere”, IceDogs General Manager Joey Burke said via text message Tuesday night. “I was aware he was talking to them but I was with him yesterday and he had said there was no offer so very surprising, but to his credit I believe it came together very quickly last night and this morning” Burke went on to say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I fear that Burke Jr will be named coach as the Dogs' have little options at this point ... I know it was going to happen sooner or later ... seems a little sooner to me than ideal ...
Needs must, when the devil drives.

I am sure all involved would have preferred a longer learning curve for Billy Burke and never anticipated an expedited departure for Dave Bell. Had this transpired at the end of the season, there may have been time to advertise and secure a bigger name, but lets not forget the IceDogs are still paying Marty Williamson not to be the coach, so finances are still an issue.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
According to Joey Burke!

If Joey, felt Billy was either ready or a better head coach than David Bell, he would have been promoted him two months ago.
Like I said before he might not feel that he's 100% ready but options are limited at best and I thought Bell would be gone two seasons from now when they thought Billy was ready
Old 07-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,009 Times in 836 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Not likely.

“It certainly came out of nowhere”, IceDogs General Manager Joey Burke said via text message Tuesday night. “I was aware he was talking to them but I was with him yesterday and he had said there was no offer so very surprising, but to his credit I believe it came together very quickly last night and this morning” Burke went on to say.
He was aware they were talking, but it came out of nowhere? You can't suck and blow at the same time. If you were "aware" then it didn't come from "nowhere". The fact that they were talking to Bell and the GM was "aware", one would think that they would've at the very least been somewhat prepared for this possibility. Maybe, even have a contingency plan. Like a list of coaches that are available and capable.

I have no idea if junior will be a good head coach. The problem I see, is if he isn't. Will he ever get the blame or the axe from mom, dad or little brother? It's a hell of a roll of the dice.

As for the recruiting aspect. Third head coach in three years, shows little stability. For an organization that has trouble recruiting players, this doesn't help. Especially if perception is that junior was hired only because of nepotism. And we all know perception is reality.

This not good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post: