Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,097    Downloads: 818,027   Msgs Posted: 109,617   Thread Views: 16,067,646   Online Now: 74
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 PM

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,079 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notldogsfan View Post
This + Joey as GM takes away whatever reputation this organization has been building. If the Ice Dogs underperform this season, I think you see several seasons tickets not renewed. I myself have been a huge fan since day 1, but I have little time for nepotism. These hirings could set the organization back years.
There was a large hue and cry when Dave Bell took over for Mary Williamson. What happened? By all accounts he exceeded everyone's expectations and did a great job. Does Billy Burke have the potential to do the same, yes. I think everyone has been pleased with Joey Burke's performance as GM - so why not try, and why not get behind the idea as a fan?
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:05 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Maybe our moderator will have some time to link these two threads together. Thanks in advance
[Moderator's Note: Always happy to comply]
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,292 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

I'll go into this year with an open mind and bite my tongue until at least Christmas. Best case scenario is these 2 brothers workout great and work hand in hand for the next 2 decades putting a great product on the ice. Like FF said his resume isn't bad. He's played in this league, captained a CIAU team and been an assistant for 8 years now. I would have liked to see him as a head coach in B or some where else for a year or 2 at some point but at the end of the day his credentials are not horrible. Let's just hope he works out because he's not going away any time soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 PM
3rd Line

the octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the rough

You guys are wearing the rose colored glasses. The owner's son should not be the head coach of the team nor the general manager.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 PM
4th Line

Paws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the roughPaws and Reflect is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the octopus View Post
You guys are wearing the rose colored glasses. The owner's son should not be the head coach of the team nor the general manager.
I think I have seen this movie before, it was Billy Madison. He takes over the family run business after he completes 12 years of elementary and high school in 12 weeks. All kidding aside he has been an assistant for the past 8 years, has played in the league and has been mentored by some fine coaches. After 10 years of being a loyal icedog seasons ticket holder I have not renewed this year due to our snow birding adventures in the south each winter. I think the product and the team will be fine. The Burkes have meticulously taken this franchise to a higher level and I don't believe they are about to let that all go down the drain. I'm sure there will be contingency plans. Go Dogs Go !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paws and Reflect For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 PM
2nd Line

notldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
There was a large hue and cry when Dave Bell took over for Mary Williamson. What happened? By all accounts he exceeded everyone's expectations and did a great job. Does Billy Burke have the potential to do the same, yes. I think everyone has been pleased with Joey Burke's performance as GM - so why not try, and why not get behind the idea as a fan?
This isn't the same thing. Not even close.

Bell was there based on Merit. He coached with other teams, played pro, and is now off to the AHL based on Merit.

Burke being a coach would be fine if he earned it somewhere else first.

Joey has been hit and miss. His return for Knott/Frederic was quite underwhelming.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone's wearing rose-coloured glasses here. I think what I have seen is people saying 'Well, it's done now, there's nothing we can do about it, I hope it works out well.' I think we all have the same concerns. These sorts of setups rarely work well, but you never know.
The closest parallel I can think of is the Calgary Flames, when they had Darryl Sutter as Head Coach and GM, with Rich and Ron as Director of Scouting, and Head Scout respectively. But that's team management, which is typically kept separate from ownership. This is all but unprecedented, as far as I know.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notldogsfan View Post
His return for Knott/Frederic was quite underwhelming.
His return on Paquette was amazing. His block on London's easy acquisition of TL was enjoyable. As GM I'd rate him a B+ or A- currently.

I am betting if Denise and Bill Burke put Billy in the spot its because they believe he will succeed. Feel free to quote me a the end of the season, I am always happy to buy beer and admit I was wrong... but my prediction for this year is 4-5th in the East under the new head coach.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM
4th Line

pg007 is absolutely hated by otherspg007 is absolutely hated by others

this is how i see it billy says to joey you cant fire me mom says so
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM
1st Line

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Love it.

I am on board!! What else can I do? I already paid for my tickets and plan on doing that as many years as I can.

Go Dogs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post: