Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,253    Downloads: 849,186   Msgs Posted: 115,025   Thread Views: 17,344,747   Online Now: 79
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM
DogFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
And not to mention, the city would NEVER build out there. They want it as close to as much local business as possible.
The land across from White Oakes is actually in Niagara On The Lake so it doesn't matter where St. Catharines wants to build.
I'm not saying that option is going to happen but I do know that the owners of that land (and it's not Niagara on the Green) have approached the town of Niagara on the Lake with some idea's for that property and a facility was something they had brought up.
As for the renovations, as I understand it, it isn't likely but it is not off the table. So anything is possible.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:53 PM
3rd Line

Bleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura about

Enviromental impact

Has anyone here have any idea what is buried under that mess we call the lower level parking?
......well I have talked to some of the old timers who helped fill it in years ago. And lets just say....
dont mess with it!

Has anyone thought about what size parcel of land needed for a new entertainment complex? Now along with
the new Brock Centre, Rebuilding of a second canal lock, much needed parking, and the 406 running right beside. It would just be a big cluster of mass confusion. Lets just say it would be like putting a square peg in a round hole.

So the lower level will be a site for a new arena?..............doubt it

And if a corporation comes and saves the day, which I am assured it will happen. Then they will have a say where it will go....not just the city. Downtown makes no sence!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,334 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

I don't think they can find a better spot than by White Oaks. It's right in between the 2 biggest cities in the region, making in a true regional team. It would sure make it easier to hit up all the restaurants and hotels in the Falls for sponsorship money.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to behold

I also think the White Oaks area would be great. Right off the QEW, easier access from the American bridge and perfectly situated between St.Catharines & Niagara Falls. It's a nice area too compared to where the Jack is downtown.
.....The White Oaks area would definitely draw more people from Niagara Falls too while maintaining the St.Catharines support. I don't mind the 20 min drive to the Jack (and will miss the great atmosphere) but there are other people in Niagara Falls who won't make the trek because of the lack of parking, bad location, congested arena etc. This spot makes the most sense.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,355 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleechers View Post
Enviromental impact

Has anyone here have any idea what is buried under that mess we call the lower level parking?
......well I have talked to some of the old timers who helped fill it in years ago. And lets just say....
dont mess with it!
The city (and many of us here) already know it's contaminated, and they're full aware they have to truck off a lot of the soil before the work gets started. That's not a problem.

Quote:
Has anyone thought about what size parcel of land needed for a new entertainment complex? Now along with
the new Brock Centre, Rebuilding of a second canal lock, much needed parking, and the 406 running right beside. It would just be a big cluster of mass confusion. Lets just say it would be like putting a square peg in a round hole.
The footprint will fit fine. It's already been shown a couple times in this thread.

Quote:
So the lower level will be a site for a new arena?..............doubt it
The city is already on like step 3 or step 4 of their 10 or whatever steps to build it there.

Quote:
And if a corporation comes and saves the day, which I am assured it will happen. Then they will have a say where it will go....not just the city. Downtown makes no sence!
Hmm.. well the city is already halfway through the planning to build it in the lower lot, so I can't see a private entity coming in now and doing something completely different somewhere else.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

What is under the land by White Oaks. I thought it used to be a horse race track.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
3rd Line

Bleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura about

If it was half way done with the City then............the shovel would have been bought already !

As for contamination, and being up front with it, ask them to talk about what was, and partially still is buried under Happy Rolphs Pond.

As for Corporations........really? ..................money talks ! Thats something the city dosen't have alot of.

One more thing .......with everything being built, where exactly is eveyone going to park when there are multiple events scheduled for the same day, at different downtown locations ?

I believe it was Martin Luther King who said " Keep The Dream Alive "
But I dont think he was talking about the lower level parking lot as a viable site.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,229 Times in 918 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleechers View Post
If it was half way done with the City then............the shovel would have been bought already !

As for contamination, and being up front with it, ask them to talk about what was, and partially still is buried under Happy Rolphs Pond.

As for Corporations........really? ..................money talks ! Thats something the city dosen't have alot of.

One more thing .......with everything being built, where exactly is eveyone going to park when there are multiple events scheduled for the same day, at different downtown locations ?

I believe it was Martin Luther King who said " Keep The Dream Alive "
But I dont think he was talking about the lower level parking lot as a viable site.

Niagara Falls is building a 4-pad on the old Cyanimid toxic wasteland. The lower parking lot couldn't be any worse.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM
3rd Line

knights05 will become famous soon enoughknights05 will become famous soon enough

Since I no longer work at the land development company that had a conditional offer to purchase the lower level parking lot lands (3 years ago), here's some information on the soil contamination affecting the property.

I actually coordinated the preparation of both a Phase 1 and Phase 2 ESA for the lands which included detailed borehole testing (we went down 100 ft.) and soils analysis. At 40 ft. in depth (for approx. 5 ft.), the soil had high concentrations of PCB's and other contaminants, the details of which escape me right now. The costs to clean-up (i.e. remediate) were cost prohibitive and our company had to walk away from the offer to purchase. The City was not willing to provide any tax exemptions, grants, or incentives to help offset the remediation costs which were in excess of 10M.

Given the fact our development proposal was for a more sensitive land use (i.e. residential student apartment building), remediation must be more thorough than other land uses such as commercial or industrial. Presumably, the remediation costs to facilitate the development of an entertainment facility would probably not hit 10M, however, it is highly likely that it will be at least a few million.

I don't know all the details of contamination on the former Cyanamid lands, however, the big difference in clean-up costs is likely attributed to the fact that the lower level parking lot had contaminated fill buried 40 ft. down whereas contaminated soil on the Cyanamid lands is likely contained in the topsoil and underburden layer. Excavation and sorting is an extremely expensive undertaking.

As for the issue of whether or not an arena could be accommodated in the lower level lot, despite the fact a few people might have been posting site plans or sketches on this site (sorry I didn't bother looking back to see them), there are a number of constraints which even made it difficult for us to accommodate just one student apartment building. These constraints include the road right-of-ways which will be taken off McGuire and the Parkway (perhaps the City would waive this requirement - they wouldn't for us), the MTO setback off of Hwy. 406, and I seem to recall a significantly wide underground storm sewer that runs along McGuire which actually drains most of Glenridge into 12 mile creek. The current turning radius of McGuire and the Parkway cannot currently accommodate large vehicles (i.e. buses) and this posed another significant constraint because the re-alignments would have chewed up even more lands required for the development. MTO will also require a Traffic Impact Assessment to ensure that traffic does not impact the on/off ramps and ultimately the safety of the highway. Although the City itself may be willing to waive a number of requirements it imposes on developers (or itself in this case), the Province will not be so generous or accommodating.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to knights05 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
3rd Line

Thank You knights05 !

NEXT !

Tags
new arena