Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,157    Downloads: 831,288   Msgs Posted: 111,306   Thread Views: 16,638,458   Online Now: 61
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

All in favour!
Motion passed
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 11:20 AM
2nd Line

Aircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other members

I have a tough time hammering the refs in this league too much. This is an OHL mandate that these guys are following, don't think for one second that even one of these guys enjoys calling some of this bizarre stuff they've been asked to. There's a fair bit of room for interpretation and I don't envy the place the league puts our officials in one bit.

Every time the OHL comes out with their new "dirty dozen crackdowns" the officials have to eat it and do their best to play by the rules set by the "boss". Their personal leeway for calls gets tighter every year. Some of us will go to work on Monday not agreeing with how we're supposed to do certain things, but we'll do them that way to keep our jobs. That's simply what these guys are doing, your first beef should be with the league.

Next stop, the league itself. The league has an incredible responsibility to take young, energetic, raging but talented athletes and foster some sort of positive growth with them, ensure reasonable safety to them, while providing a profitable entertainment package to the fans. Holy smokes, take a step back on that. Tough one.

Stuff like the high hits to the head, low blows to the knees, checking from behind when a player is prone and overall unsporting conduct; those items have to be nipped in the bud at this level. I do applaud some of their no-nonsense policies on those high impact items. Room for improvement? Tons! I agree with a lot of what you guys say. The "Let them play hockey" philosophy, I'm for it. I just don't want to see a paralyzed teenager laying on the ice. It's a very delicate balance.

A friend of mine that used to play hockey with me ended up officiating in the OHL, I heard enough of his stories, all I could respond with was "not for all the tea in China".
The Following User Says Thank You to Aircanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
I have a tough time hammering the refs in this league too much. This is an OHL mandate that these guys are following, don't think for one second that even one of these guys enjoys calling some of this bizarre stuff they've been asked to. There's a fair bit of room for interpretation and I don't envy the place the league puts our officials in one bit.

Every time the OHL comes out with their new "dirty dozen crackdowns" the officials have to eat it and do their best to play by the rules set by the "boss". Their personal leeway for calls gets tighter every year. Some of us will go to work on Monday not agreeing with how we're supposed to do certain things, but we'll do them that way to keep our jobs. That's simply what these guys are doing, your first beef should be with the league.

Next stop, the league itself. The league has an incredible responsibility to take young, energetic, raging but talented athletes and foster some sort of positive growth with them, ensure reasonable safety to them, while providing a profitable entertainment package to the fans. Holy smokes, take a step back on that. Tough one.

Stuff like the high hits to the head, low blows to the knees, checking from behind when a player is prone and overall unsporting conduct; those items have to be nipped in the bud at this level. I do applaud some of their no-nonsense policies on those high impact items. Room for improvement? Tons! I agree with a lot of what you guys say. The "Let them play hockey" philosophy, I'm for it. I just don't want to see a paralyzed teenager laying on the ice. It's a very delicate balance.

A friend of mine that used to play hockey with me ended up officiating in the OHL, I heard enough of his stories, all I could respond with was "not for all the tea in China".
We all get that the dirty hits have to go... but the weak holding calls and tripping calls are the ones I'm talking about
Old 11-27-2016, 11:29 AM
2nd Line

Aircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other membersAircanuck is well liked by the other members

I hear you. They're clearly trying to stop stick-work, holding and interference items in efforts to make a cleaner, more open game. Good luck with that. But that's all coming from the top level, not the ice level.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

They are going to officiate the fans away. Last nights game was awful.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:07 PM
3rd Line

the octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the roughthe octopus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post

Well said Aircanuck! The referees are doing what they are told to do.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by the octopus View Post
Well said Aircanuck! The referees are doing what they are told to do.
Then hopefully we get more of the disobedient kind who let the game go on without honking on their Fox40 every minute or so. This can't be the direction of the league to disrupt play at all costs. If it is fans are going to leave in droves.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,037 Times in 848 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

OHL officiating drives me nuts. Powerplay after powerplay after powerplay. But, remember it's a development league for everyone. I personally believe that the officials feel as though they are being watched/scouted just like the players are. It's the only way they can move on to the show. So, if there is a hold, trip or a slash that has no bearing on the play, they make the call anyway to show the people that are watching them that they indeed did see it. I think they may be afraid to let stuff go because the people watching might think they missed it.

Regardless of the reason they are killing the flow of almost every game and are making the OHL harder and harder to watch.

When I get to the rink and Burchell is doing the game, it's hard not to turn around and head back to the car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,156 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

There is a reason he didn't last long in the NHL. If anyone thinks being a nitpicker is going to land them in the big show, they need to spend more time watching TV. Sometimes the best call is no call at all, then there isn't any need for a make up call and some hockey can actually get played. Development league yes, but if the game that results has nothing in common with the league they are supporting - who are they doing this for? The owners need to speak up or lose fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

Speaking of bad refs did Park get fired?