Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,157    Downloads: 831,288   Msgs Posted: 111,306   Thread Views: 16,638,621   Online Now: 60
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM
3rd Line

Biased Observer is a glorious beacon of lightBiased Observer is a glorious beacon of lightBiased Observer is a glorious beacon of lightBiased Observer is a glorious beacon of lightBiased Observer is a glorious beacon of lightBiased Observer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
I am thinking is you have FIVE people whoís prime job is to score goals while not getting scored on. Not all the forwards fault. Just saying. Itís a team game.
last year it was more of a team game I guess, three lines were chipping in, some more some less but most were able to score from time to time, all lines could be dangerous at times, three lines had similar ice time and thus similar opportunity to score, this year so far it is not so even and fewer players get a chance to score, two lines are overplayed and two lines don't see the ice enough
Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biased Observer View Post
Not scoring 5 on 5, I already mentioned it, maybe coaching staff will figure out that they cannot live on pp only.
Iím pretty sure they figured that out a long time ago but all they can do is tell the players to score the players have to finish
Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

I actually seriously wonder if a big impact is down to 3 things:

a) Moving Thomas to centre. I think he is a winger who would do a lot better being able to concentrate on being able to develop scoring opportunities, shooting and not thinking about the extra responsibilities that come with being a centre.

b) Putting Maksimov and Thomas on the same line. Neither make plays - they each want to shoot and score. And that is fine, but it then means that the other player on your wing is bound to suffer (and Corneil's numbers are way down).

c) Thomas should not be killing penalties - save his energy for 5-on-5 and the PK.

We have 2 centres who last year were very good at face-offs and very responsible in their own end (Jones & Philip). Have them be the top 2 centres and move Thomas back to wing.

How about this:

Maksimov - Jones - Corneil
Thomas - Philip - Castleman or Tomasino
Singer - Langdon - Castleman or Tomasino

To my mind that gives us a much more balanced 3 forward lines with a better option of scoring.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:59 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to behold

I think the Dogs only really have 4 top 6 forwards on the roster ( Jones,Thomas, Maksimov and Corneil). Tomasino will be a top line guy in the future. But after that the Dogs are composed of bottom 6 forwards and 3rd pairing D-men. If they want to take a run next year they will need to get quit a few high end players and I don't think they have the assets to do so. I think they will be good but I don't see Memorial Cup contenders next year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunder Hawk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

That is what I was thinking when I asked whether the Dogs may be better to sell 1-2 of these guys this year if they can get assets that they can flip next year or the year after. I don't see this team being anything like as good as the year when they won the East and lost to London in the OHL final. Depth issues at the back and up-front. Tough to see them being able to make it next year in my mind? I think we need 2 D and 2 F's that are top class players. Where are they going to get them from?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM
2nd Line

Red is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
I am thinking is you have FIVE people whoís prime job is to score goals while not getting scored on. Not all the forwards fault. Just saying. Itís a team game.
You think my generation is coddled? Face facts and compare our top scorers to their cohort on other teams. Our goaltender is regularly top 10 in the OHL but our forwards aren't.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk View Post
I think the Dogs only really have 4 top 6 forwards on the roster ( Jones,Thomas, Maksimov and Corneil). Tomasino will be a top line guy in the future. But after that the Dogs are composed of bottom 6 forwards and 3rd pairing D-men. If they want to take a run next year they will need to get quit a few high end players and I don't think they have the assets to do so. I think they will be good but I don't see Memorial Cup contenders next year.
I would disagree with parts of this I think if everyone is slotted probably they have 6-8 decent forwards and 2 good D pairings
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,521 Times in 708 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk View Post
As a result of some very good trade made by Joey Burke, the Ice Dogs do have the assets required to fill in the missing piece to a championship team. Along with the following draft picks, they can also use Martin (01) and/or Bruder (00).

2019 2nd, 4th, 5th,…
2020 3rd, 4th 5th….
2021 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th….
2022 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th….

TOP SIX: Requires the Ice Dogs to bring in 2 elite OA/Import players to create 2 solid scoring lines.
• Ben Jones
• Phil Tomasino
• Akil Thomas
• Krill Maksimov
• ____________
• ____________

BOTTOM 6: 3rd and 4th line look good.
• Phillips
• Castleman
• Singer
• Machala
• Johnson
• Martin or Bruder or #1 or #2 pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Draft

Defensively, the Ice Dogs will need to use an Import or OA spot to acquire a #1 D-Man – and then wait until the trade deadline to find another.
• J. MacPherson
• E. Roberts
• B. Constantinou
• D. Hunter
• L. Ham
• Mason Howard
• #1 or #2 pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Draft
Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

Speaking of bottom 6, what happened to Castleman and Phillip this year? They seem to have forgotten where the net is...
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,037 Times in 848 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Iíve said it before, Iíll say it again. This team is simply not nearly as talented as people want to think it is. Just because they are a year older, it doesnít automatically make them better. They have two NHL drafted players on the roster. They have Zero players in the top 20 in league goal scoring, they have zero players in the top 20 for points. Theyíve scored the second fewest goals in the entire Eastern Conference. Where is all of the talent people speak of?

They got off to a quick start, likely because while other teams were waiting for their players to be returned from NHL teams, the Dogs started the season with their entire roster. While the other teams have got their pieces back, the Dogs are on a 6 game losing streak. Coincidence?

The cupboard is not overly stocked with picks to go out an add next year either. Burke has done a nice job of getting them back to even after Williamson sold the farm to go for it. But, with prices nowadays for top end talent, they donít have the assets to go out and get some.

I hate to say it again, but after Marty sold everything, itís going to take more than the typical 3 year cycle (rebuild) to get back to where they want to be.

Hate to be Debbie downer, but just one guys opinion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post: