Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,157    Downloads: 831,288   Msgs Posted: 111,306   Thread Views: 16,638,536   Online Now: 61
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I agree with Fishfan on Marty selling the farm for a Conference banner and losing in 4 straight to THAT TEAM.
We did last year and this year paying the price for that run.
Joey and staff did a good job last year to get some most needed picks back in the cupboard, but, there is not enough for another run.

I still another move coming this season (once again). Not a big trade but a nice piece that will most likely cost us a roster player and a pick....

Go Dogs Go!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,037 Times in 848 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post

OHL DRAFT PICK DATABASE
Matt Wilson @writemattwilson - FYI Database is UPDATED.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=319580547

CURRENT ASSETS
Andrew Bruder (00)
Ian Martin (01)
Mason Howard(01)
Willie Lochead(98)
2018 2nd, 4th, 5th,…
2019 2nd, 4th, 5th,…
2020 3rd, 5th….
2021 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th….
2022 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th….

OTHER POSSIBLE ASSETS
Christian Sbaraglia(01)
Ben Kraws(00)
Zach Borgiel(00)
Jack Randl(00)
Brady Smith(00)
Joshua Norris(99)
The "possible assets" mean nothing. Josh Norris? I think that ship has sailed.

Andrew Bruder? He's in his draft year and has 2 goals on the fourth line. He is hardly an asset that would fetch anything.

The draft picks prove my point, the Dogs are essentially back to even after Marty emptied the cupboard. You want to see a cupboard that is in a position to go for it? Take a gander at Ottawa.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,521 Times in 708 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Looking at recent and past OHL trades - the Ice Dogs do have the assets to put together a contending team. As a GM, you just can't be afraid to trade them! But, will the current Ice Dogs players continue to show growth and development from their 99, 00 and 01 to make this happen!

We can debate and discuss it here, which is the point of this thread - but no one really knows for sure that they can't be contenders next year.

Especially if you factor in the number of teams in the East that will be in earlier stages of their respective rebuilds next year than the Ice Dogs (Post for a later date). It just might make sense?

Here is one possible path, if in fact 2018-2019 is the goal for the Ice Dogs.

In 2018, the Ice Dogs will lose:
97 J. Corneil, Z. Shankar and A. Carbonara.

…and they would need to move on from the following OA players:
98 W. Lochead – I hate to lose Willie, but it has to be done! Maybe keep him as the teams 4th OA until the trade deadline?
98 K. Langdon, J. Schaeffer and J. Dame.

…so, they can bring in 2 OA players like a:
98 Chris Paquette
98 Will Bitten
98 Adam Timleck
98 Adam Rymsha
98 Tim Gettinger
98 Brandon Saigeon
98 and Kyle Maksimovich.

STEP #1 OAs:
Trade for 2 OAs from OHL teams looking to rebuild for 2019-2020. Provided the Ice Dogs are willing to part with a player and/or picks that can be accomplished.

STEP #2 IMPORTS:
This has obviously been the Ice Dog most difficult piece of the rebuilding puzzle. Perhaps, next year, Billy Burke Sr. will want his sons’ to succeed and be a little more motivated to spend money on securing IMPORT players?

Just using these names from last year's IMPORT DRAFT as a point of reference in regards to the type of talent they would need to bring in. One who is NHL drafted and one who is projected to be drafted in the early rounds of the NHL draft.
• Tim Liljgren
• Rasmus Sandin

Using their assets and some money, the Ice Dogs team in 2018-2019 could look something like this (the name highlighted in red could obviously change). Maybe not exactly, but it gives you some idea of what might be possible. Something to discuss and debate!

TOP SIX
• 98 Chris Paquette (NHL 5th Rd)
• 98 Will Bitten (NHL 3rd Rd)

• 99 Ben Jones (NHL 7th Rd)
• 01 Phil Tomasino (A possible 1st/2nd Rd 2019 NHL Draft)
• 00 Akil Thomas (NHL 1st Rd)
• 99 Krill Maksimov (NHL 5th Rd)

BOTTOM SIX
• 99 Johnson
• 99 Phillips
• 99 Castleman
• 99 Singer
• 02 #1 Rd Pick OHL Priority Draft
• 02 #2 Rd Pick OHL Priority Draft
• 01 Martin
• 00 Bruder

DEFENSE
• Tim Liljgren (NHL 1st Rd)
• Rasmus Sandin (Projected NHL 2nd Rd 2019 NHL Draft)

• J. MacPherson
• L. Ham
• E. Roberts
• B. Constantinou (A possible 3rd/4th Rd 2019 NHL Draft)
• D. Hunter
• Mason Howard

GOALIES:
• Stephen Dhillon
• Colton Incze
Old 11-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
The "possible assets" mean nothing. Josh Norris? I think that ship has sailed.

Andrew Bruder? He's in his draft year and has 2 goals on the fourth line. He is hardly an asset that would fetch anything.

The draft picks prove my point, the Dogs are essentially back to even after Marty emptied the cupboard. You want to see a cupboard that is in a position to go for it? Take a gander at Ottawa.
Other than Ottawa and Sudbury, I don't see anyone who is any better off than Niagara in the East. Am I missing something?

It will be interesting to see how many picks are traded and left in the Eastern Conference after the trade deadline! Ice Dogs just need to hang tough and keep their picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I cannot see the team bring back Chris Paquette next season. We have seen that movie and have moved on from it.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I cannot see the team bring back Chris Paquette next season. We have seen that movie and have moved on from it.
Perhaps, but I was just using his name as an example of the type of player they would need to bring in.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Big League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Perhaps, but I was just using his name as an example of the type of player they would need to bring in.
All good here.
Actually Soo's Tim Gettinger was the player that I wanted Marty to go after two years ago.
He is the type of player that I am looking for this month as a 1999 or 2000 born with the same talent level as Tim Gettinger.

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 11-28-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I agree with Fishfan on Marty selling the farm for a Conference banner and losing in 4 straight to THAT TEAM.
We did last year and this year paying the price for that run.
Joey and staff did a good job last year to get some most needed picks back in the cupboard, but, there is not enough for another run.

I still another move coming this season (once again). Not a big trade but a nice piece that will most likely cost us a roster player and a pick....

Go Dogs Go!
Joey and the boys did an amazing job in acquiring that #13 guy. That's a big 'add'
Old 11-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
All good here.
Actually Soo's Tim Gettinger was the player that I wanted Marty to go after two years ago.
He is the type of player that I am looking for this month as a 1999 or 2000 born with the same talent level as Tim Gettinger.
Why would the Soo be looking to unload, let alone unload a player of his talent now? The Soo's rebuild began in 1994
Old 11-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Big League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
Why would the Soo be looking to unload, let alone unload a player of his talent now? The Soo's rebuild began in 1994
I did not state that I wanted this player now, it was two years ago that I wanted him when we made the run.

What I would like to see now is a player of his caliber or slightly lower (which would not cost the farm) to help in our re-build for this year and next season. Maybe as an OA the year after that.

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 11-28-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: changed the word low to lower
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post: