Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,743    Downloads: 1,636,346   Msgs Posted: 130,466   Thread Views: 27,244,526   Online Now: 116
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Will the Ice Dogs Make the Playoffs in the 19/20 Season
Yes! 22 68.75%
No 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,105 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default Season Opener One Month From Today Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Hey, only a few months ago you scoffed at a few posters for thinking that the Icedogs defence could even be considered “ok” (Wee bit optimistic lol) - and now you have upped the evaluation to “decent”.

But a few months ago I didn’t have the benefit of hindsight ... when the season ended I figured Paquette would sign an AHL deal sometime in the summer ... and yet he hasn’t .... so so far it looks like he might actually return as an OA...which surprises me because I think he would be good enough to be a borderline AHL player ...

So yes if he’s back and he represents 1/6 of their defense that is a huge improvement ... this why I think their defense will now be ok .... hence the ‘optimism’

The Dogs will have difficulty scoring especially post trade deadline and there is a huge amount of inexperience between the pipes ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Team Captain

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Strohs, I’m also a little concerned the IceDogs are fixated on making the playoffs. In every story or interview "keeping that streak alive" gets mentioned. However, there are more than enough sub-par teams in the Eastern Conference that the IceDogs can make the playoffs and still do what needs to be done.

It is unreasonable to think the IceDogs will trade away everyone that should be traded (Hunter and Roberts) or can be traded this year (Tomasino), but if Akil Thomas and Jacob Paquette are NOT traded at the deadline – this franchise is in a LOT of trouble! It will signal to IceDog fans that we’ll never win a championship.

That’s quite the post coming from you lol

I would trade anything and everything at the deadline .... no sense hanging on to any players that have any value this year other than Tomasino .

But if they are within sniffing distance of a post season berth at the deadline I’m willing to bet they go half-assed and not trade everyone and to add salt in the wounds they will probably overpay for some fringe OA player to teach the young Dogs how to ‘play in the playoffs’ .... we’ve all read that book before...

Old 08-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,888 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
That’s quite the post coming from you lol

I would trade anything and everything at the deadline .... no sense hanging on to any players that have any value this year other than Tomasino .

But if they are within sniffing distance of a post season berth at the deadline I’m willing to bet they go half-assed and not trade everyone and to add salt in the wounds they will probably overpay for some fringe OA player to teach the young Dogs how to ‘play in the playoffs’ .... we’ve all read that book before...

You were doing so well - optimism, hope, a positive future then whammo - welcome back strohs!
Old 08-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,619 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
But a few months ago I didn't have the benefit of hindsight ... when the season ended I figured Paquette would sign an AHL deal sometime in the summer ... and yet he hasn't .... so so far it looks like he might actually return as an OA...which surprises me because I think he would be good enough to be a borderline AHL player ...

So yes if he's back and he represents 1/6 of their defense that is a huge improvement ... this why I think their defense will now be ok .... hence the optimism;

Oh Strohs, that is not accurate. The post you claimed was “Wee bit optimistic lol – and then OMG ridiculous” was this one:

DE104 wrote the D looks ok based on the season possibly opening with Paquette, Hunter, Roberts, Howard, Enright and Cato as the starting 6. Explain why you think he is being a wee bit optimistic calling it “ok”?

Source: Niagara IceDogs 2019 – 2020 Thread: Page 5 - 7
Old 08-22-2019, 09:17 AM

Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,888 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Strohs, I’m also a little concerned the IceDogs are fixated on making the playoffs. In every story or interview "keeping that streak alive" gets mentioned. However, there are more than enough sub-par teams in the Eastern Conference that the IceDogs can make the playoffs and still do what needs to be done.

It is unreasonable to think the IceDogs will trade away everyone that should be traded (Hunter and Roberts) or can be traded this year (Tomasino), but if Akil Thomas and Jacob Paquette are NOT traded at the deadline – this franchise is in a LOT of trouble! It will signal to IceDog fans that we’ll never win a championship.
It is possible based on the first part of the season that we get far enough ahead to stay out of the basement. What I worry about is sacrificing assets to make the playoffs, only to have a first round exit. I know there is a financial impetus that goes beyond bragging rights of "the streak" but having enough ammunition to build a championship team has to be the top priority.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,434 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
It is possible based on the first part of the season that we get far enough ahead to stay out of the basement. What I worry about is sacrificing assets to make the playoffs, only to have a first round exit. I know there is a financial impetus that goes beyond bragging rights of "the streak" but having enough ammunition to build a championship team has to be the top priority.
I'm all for selling for the future but playoff $$$ can also help them win in the future. Hopefully they can get off to a good start and some of the younger players can develop and get this team comfortably into the playoffs before the sell off starts.

To start the year off they should have 2 of the top 5 or so forwards in the league and a very good back end assuming they keep Paquette, Roberts and Hunter and 2 of Chanton, Cato or Enright are at least decent.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 AM
1st Line

Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members

Playoff $$$ can help pay off fines and hire additional "scouts" who are related to high end roster players.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:24 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,113 Times in 762 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!

If we make it we will be seven or eight
The Following User Says Thank You to three dog night For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Is it absolutely true that all championship teams have completely bottom out to rebuild two or three years in advance? I suspect not. It probably helps though.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
Is it absolutely true that all championship teams have completely bottom out to rebuild two or three years in advance? I suspect not. It probably helps though.

What is your definition of ‘completely bottom out’?

Ie finish last place? Than I would say no, not all championship teams need to finish 20th overall in order to rebuild in two or three years.

If you mean, not be a serious contender for a couple years in order to rebuild than yes, 19 teams in this league go through this cycle ... build build build peak then retool and reload ...

There are some teams who can be serious contenders say two years in a row but that’s pretty rare ... SSM has a really good team this year but I’m not sure they were really a serious contender to win it all this year

So the Icedogs don’t need to bottom out and finish twentieth for a successful rebuild ... but it sure wold help !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post: