Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,790    Downloads: 1,788,505   Msgs Posted: 134,218   Thread Views: 30,725,352   Online Now: 56
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,366 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!
Exclamation ICEDOGFANS POSSIBLY CLOSING DOWN

Edit: the site has been saved! We've moved to a new server! More here:
ICEDOGFANS POSSIBLY CLOSING DOWN - Page 3 - Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !

I just got an email from the web hosts that hosts this server, and apparently they are discontinuing the service that it runs on, and there is no automatic migration to one of their newer services.

As most of you who know me know.. my time on here has been limited (if not absent) the last few years simply due to lack of time, and I have made changes in my life (dog) that doesn't even give me much time on the computer any more. (Great change though, as I was on this damn thing during all my free time in the past)..

I used to know a lot about computers/networking... 'got my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) degree back in 2000, but everything has completely changed since then, and I DO NOT have an expertise in migrating servers, DNS, reverse-DNS, cronjobs, etc, etc... any more.

SO.....

Unless there is a *VALID* experienced computer networking person here that is willing to do the ENTIRE migration themselves, this could be the end of the road for this site unfortunately Really sucks because this forum is busier now than ever. Over 28 MILLION thread views, 130,000+ messages posted, almost 24,000 photos uploaded.

It's been a great run, and a lot of happiness and emotion have been put into all the content here. I appreciate every single one of you who have posted, or just came by regularly to read.

But like I said, if someone is willing to do the entire migration, I can give you a SMALL amount of time to help (VERY small). It would HAVE TO BE someone that is *experienced* at this. ("I can give it a shot" just won't cut it, unfortunately). PM me if you *know* you can do this.

Msg from the host:
Quote:
Your VPS Classic 2014 services will end on 30 April 2020

Dear customer,

We are contacting you today regarding your VPS services : ####.vps.ovh.ca

As you may know, our VPS offers and technology is constantly evolving. For this reason, we have made the decision to end the old VPS Classic 2014 services as of 30 April 2020.

In order to anticipate the termination of your VPS Classic 2014 services, we strongly advise you to recover all of your data prior to this date. Please note that the automatic migration function is not available. For more information, please click here.

As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty and to help you migrate your current services to the new upgraded version, we would like to offer you 6 months free, valid for the subscription to one of our new VPS offers with this promotional code: ###-VSGC

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please follow these steps:

login to your OVHcloud customer area;
choose one of our VPS offers;
enter your promotional code;
back up your data then migrate it manually;
check that your new VPS is working properly;
cancel your old VPS 2014 offer

Once again we would like to thank you again for your trust in us.

The OVHcloud team

Last edited by AlphaDog; 02-05-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:52 PM

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,974 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

I am confident something can be arranged.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

My computer skills are dated, exactly like yours AlphaDog. I do hope somebody with current knowledge steps up.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 PM

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,974 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
My computer skills are dated, exactly like yours AlphaDog. I do hope somebody with current knowledge steps up.
I have a little knowledge (which everyone knows is a dangerous thing), but I work with a number of network professionals who could likely do the job in their sleep, but would want to be paid. Similarly, I am sure the host would perform the migration for a fee - so really, this is more of a financial exercise and I have no fears.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:14 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,244 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Well that would really suck

I have no experience whatsoever in this type of thing

Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
I just got an email from the web hosts that hosts this server, and apparently they are discontinuing the service that it runs on, and there is no automatic migration to one of their newer services.

As most of you who know me know.. my time on here has been limited (if not absent) the last few years simply due to lack of time, and I have made changes in my life (dog) that doesn't even give me much time on the computer any more. (Great change though, as I was on this damn thing during all my free time in the past)..

I used to know a lot about computers/networking... 'got my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) degree back in 2000, but everything has completely changed since then, and I DO NOT have an expertise in migrating servers, DNS, reverse-DNS, cronjobs, etc, etc... any more.

SO.....

Unless there is a *VALID* experienced computer networking person here that is willing to do the ENTIRE migration themselves, this could be the end of the road for this site unfortunately Really sucks because this forum is busier now than ever. Over 28 MILLION thread views, 130,000+ messages posted, almost 24,000 photos uploaded.

It's been a great run, and a lot of happiness and emotion have been put into all the content here. I appreciate every single one of you who have posted, or just came by regularly to read.

But like I said, if someone is willing to do the entire migration, I can give you a SMALL amount of time to help (VERY small). It would HAVE TO BE someone that is *experienced* at this. ("I can give it a shot" just won't cut it, unfortunately). PM me if you *know* you can do this.

Msg from the host:

Too much time, memories and history here. Let's hope something can be done or at least salvaged.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 G! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 02:30 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,303 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I agree that it would be a shame for this fan site to close.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 03:55 PM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

This fan site has been the source of so much information, knowledge and enjoyment that it is unthinkable for it to no longer exist. I don't know what the members can do to stop this from happening but I for one am willing to offer my support in any way possible. Unfortunately when it comes to any of the technical issues I have no expertise but if there are other things that can be done to keep this fan site afloat then I am willing to help as much as possible. Alpha dog has done an amazing job for the fans and we could never thank him enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 04:12 PM
2nd Line

Location: Section C since the beginning then moved to new arena!
canucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud of

Is this something that would cost closer to $1000 or $100?
Old 01-30-2020, 05:13 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,366 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks4 View Post
Is this something that would cost closer to $1000 or $100?

Realistically, someone with up-to-date server knowledge should be able to do it in an hour...

I have a friend I went to college with who's still in the biz, who actually helped me migrate my sites to this server from my old one, but we've lost touch and he's living in Germany now...

Really all we need is a networking person to do it. Simple copy of some directories, create database, necessary DNS/reverse DNS entries, etc etc....

But to be done properly (or at all), they'll probably need root access to this server, and once the service is shut down, that won't be possible. So if we find someone we'll need to do it soon. And unfortunately, I work from 7a-4p then I'm completely taken up after that and on weekends (also the reason I'm not on here much any more...).

Before, if you were migrating from one server to the other, and they shared the same control panels, you could often auto-migrate entire sites. Not possible this time
Closed Thread