Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,790    Downloads: 1,786,920   Msgs Posted: 134,215   Thread Views: 30,689,192   Online Now: 147
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:32 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,302 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

There is no way the league plays games without fans. NONE.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 11:11 AM

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,974 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
There is no way the league plays games without fans. NONE.
Given the economic impact of ending the season early this year and the prospect of a late start or reduced season next year, I could even forecast some fringe teams not being able to keep the lights on. Do I see the league getting smaller? Perhaps until a buyer could be found, I don't think there is any shortage of people with funds and interest, its just balancing the league in terms of quality versus quantity. What do I mean by that? If two teams folded and the replacements were undersized markets with insufficient capacity, I could see the league simply absorbing the extra players and getting smaller. If it was one team, or the markets were large enough I could see teams moving.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I doubt there will be government money for anything non-essential post-pandemic. The economy will be in the toilet, and many businesses will have failed leading to a hefty spike in unemployment. Hockey won't be on the priority list.
Hockey is an industry that employs Canadians. I would expect the OHL head office is already on it. Most companies at the moment are pouring thru the various programs to find out if they qualify. Example: If income dropped 30% in March, the Feds will pay a sizable percentage of payroll for the month of March.

That aside. The Feds and the Province will have supports in place to restart the economy. I would guess they will be throwing money at various entertainment and recreation companies.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:25 PM
2nd Line

notldogsfan is a splendid one to beholdnotldogsfan is a splendid one to beholdnotldogsfan is a splendid one to beholdnotldogsfan is a splendid one to beholdnotldogsfan is a splendid one to beholdnotldogsfan is a splendid one to beholdnotldogsfan is a splendid one to behold

Working in the entertainment industry, I'm not so sure. Yes there will be wage subsidies, but it doesnt help much with huge salaries like a GM or coach.

Also their priorities will be to get virtually every other type of business up and running first as they slowly allow larger and larger gatherings. Live entertainment will be the last to see relief.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notldogsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:47 AM
2nd Line

Location: Section C since the beginning then moved to new arena!
canucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud ofcanucks4 has much to be proud of

In a somewhat related way, I wonder if this pandemic will be a factor in encouraging players to pursue hockey through the education route versus the OHL route. Could impact draft decisions in the future?
The Following User Says Thank You to canucks4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,303 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I have a feeling that the home (all) games next season will have a new experience that will not be the norm.
Masks and gloves, for sure.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,974 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I have a feeling that the home (all) games next season will have a new experience that will not be the norm.
Masks and gloves, for sure.
For players? Fans? How will I know when Billy is dropping f-bombs? What about when I drink my beer or yell at a ref , surely there will be an exception then right?

Personally, I don't see a return to hockey in any form until there are no restrictions in place, it just isn't enforceable and expecting athletes to wear masks or maintain physical distancing is impractical.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,303 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
For players? Fans? How will I know when Billy is dropping f-bombs? What about when I drink my beer or yell at a ref , surely there will be an exception then right?

Personally, I don't see a return to hockey in any form until there are no restrictions in place, it just isn't enforceable and expecting athletes to wear masks or maintain physical distancing is impractical.
I was talking of we as the fan
Old 04-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks4 View Post
In a somewhat related way, I wonder if this pandemic will be a factor in encouraging players to pursue hockey through the education route versus the OHL route. Could impact draft decisions in the future?
I would think the OHL route would be more favourable to people worried about COVID-19. Universities are jam packed with people in close proximity, living in dorms etc.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
I would think the OHL route would be more favourable to people worried about COVID-19. Universities are jam packed with people in close proximity, living in dorms etc.
Also, some Canadian kids will probably want to stay 'close to home' so might pass on NCAA in favour of OHL. Conversely, some US Born players who aren't already playing in Canada may choose the NCAA route rather than OHL, for the same reasons.