Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,769    Downloads: 1,709,246   Msgs Posted: 132,130   Thread Views: 28,311,430   Online Now: 43
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,189 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
My strategy for this year is finish low, draft really really high and when they don't show, take your compensatory pick in 2021.

I don’t understand the logic behind this ...

Either way you are still out a pick, doing this does nothing to resolve the fact the Dogs were stripped of a pick ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,714 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
So, if nobody offers up their first round pick, JB won't trade him. How will that help the rebuild?

Keep in mind only one team in the OHL gave up their first round pick last year to go for it. Just because JB was willing to give up his first rounder doesn't mean others will. Thomas finishing the season as a Dog would be just plain dumb.
Last year, the IceDogs were the only team that moved their 16 year old, but other teams have done the same in the past: Hamilton – Connor McMichael, Kingston – Cody Morgan, SSM – Hayton Fowler, Erie – Allan McShane, Sarnia – Sasha Chmelevski

Some teams, like the IceDogs last year, have limited resources and will have to move an 03 and/or 02 to go ALL in this year. Teams like Saginaw, Peterborough, Kitchener, Sudbury to name a few – are a little low on draft pick assets.

There will definitely be an opportunity to move Thomas for an 03 - and if JB doesn't, Chipperdog (and I'm sure I can convince Strohs) will be getting out the pitchfork!
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Team Captain

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Why? So, let's say the Dog finish 19th. With the 2nd pick overall, you want to pick a kid who won't report, so you get the 5th pick overall as compensation the following year.

How does this make sense?
ff51 rules question.

Is there any scenario, whereby a 1st round pick is not eligible for a compensation pick? I thought I read something about that, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I don’t understand the logic behind this ...

Either way you are still out a pick, doing this does nothing to resolve the fact the Dogs were stripped of a pick ...

I believe the thinking would be tomasino goes for a first in the upcoming draft next January so they’d still get a first round pick from the upcoming draft they would’ve got if they drafted someone that didn’t report plus they’d get a pick in the draft that they lost a first in (hope that made sense) if I did that right although they won’t actually get their own guy in the draft they wouldn’t technically have lost a pick either cause they’d get a first round pick in both drafts

Last edited by dogs777; 10-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,276 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
ff51 rules question.

Is there any scenario, whereby a 1st round pick is not eligible for a compensation pick? I thought I read something about that, but I'm not sure.
The only one I’m aware of is.... If the player selected with a compensatory pick doesn’t report. The team is not awarded another compensatory pick again the following year. You better get the kid to report that you select with the compensatory pick or you basically just gave a first rounder away.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Resident OHL Expert

fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Last year, the IceDogs were the only team that moved their 16 year old, but other teams have done the same in the past: Hamilton – Connor McMichael, Kingston – Cody Morgan, SSM – Hayton Fowler, Erie – Allan McShane, Sarnia – Sasha Chmelevski

Some teams, like the IceDogs last year, have limited resources and will have to move an 03 and/or 02 to go ALL in this year. Teams like Saginaw, Peterborough, Kitchener, Sudbury to name a few – are a little low on draft pick assets.

There will definitely be an opportunity to move Thomas for an 03 - and if JB doesn't, Chipperdog (and I'm sure I can convince Strohs) will be getting out the pitchfork!
Yes, of course it’s happened in the past. My point was, what if this year is similar to last and teams aren’t willing to give up their first. Is JB seriously going to have Thomas play out the year and not trade him?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,189 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default REBUILDING THE ICE DOGS (PLAYER SIGNINGS)

Quote:
Yes, of course it’s happened in the past. My point was, what if this year is similar to last and teams aren’t willing to give up their first. Is JB seriously going to have Thomas play out the year and not trade him?

This may be another time where JB shouldn’t be so forthright with a grandiose proclamation?

I think we know when the other time was

Boy oh boy ff51, must be some slow times at work for ya, a plethora of posts from you I. The past couple days lol

*wink*

Old 10-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
This may be another time where JB shouldn’t be so forthright with a grandiose proclamation?

I think we know when the other time was

Boy oh boy ff51, must be some slow times at work for ya, a plethora of posts from you I. The past couple days lol

*wink*

Almost made it to the game Friday night..... almost.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
A quick look at the draft assets of those teams of interest – it definitely won’t be similar. Last year, the IceDogs had the fewest draft assets of the teams in "go for it" mode - so trading Moore was necessary.

A similar situation is unfolding this year, however, this time around there are a lot more teams in the same situation as the IceDogs. That creates the trade market the IceDogs are seeking – a 16 year old. The top teams such as Saginaw, Peterborough, Kitchener, Sudbury don’t have a lot of picks to acquire multiple player – and out of necessity will have to trade 03s and 02s to compete for a championship.

In fact, several of these teams have fewer valuable assets than the IceDogs did last year. So if London, Ottawa, Oshawa, maybe Owen Sound and Flint want in on Akil Thomas, they’ll know where the starting point is – an 03.

Peterborough
2020: 3 - 2nd / No - 3rds
2021: No - 2nd / 1 - 3rds
2022: 2 - 2nd / 1 - 3rds

Kitchener
2020: No 2nd / 3 - 3rds
2021: 1 - 2nd / No 3rds
2022: 1 - 2nd / 1 - 3rds

Saginaw
2020: 1 - 2nd / 1 - 3rds
2021: 1 - 2nd / No - 3rds
2022: 1 - 2nd / No - 3rds

Sudbury
2020: 1 - 2nd / 1 - 3rds
2021: 1 - 2nd / No - 3rds
2022: 1 - 2nd / 2 - 3rds
Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,923 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Why? So, let's say the Dog finish 19th. With the 2nd pick overall, you want to pick a kid who won't report, so you get the 5th pick overall as compensation the following year.

How does this make sense?
Plus the picks from the team that gets your defected player. Fifth overall is still a first round pick in a year you don't have one.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post: