Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,362    Downloads: 1,001,341   Msgs Posted: 118,604   Thread Views: 19,635,973   Online Now: 87
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 PM
MabiDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDogsGo View Post
i dont think that there is enough room there.. i agree with the multi level lot...but build a new structure (arena) that size... you need alot more land than you think.
I agree... heard word that the consideration is a parcel of land out by White Oaks that is in all honesty, still quite centrally located. Ya i know it would mean a bit more of a drive for those of us from St Catharines, but lets look at the rest of the region that attends...Welland is a bit of a hike so I am sure we can all make the drive knowing the Dogs are worth it. Besides...the old farts in this community barely let the Sportplex get built and at that they would only approve it as a practise facility and nothing more...

Damned old farts...oh crap... I forgot...I'm one of 'em (not the one that voted that way though...I'm one of the cool old farts...can I say fart???)
Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Serving a Suspension

Rolston87 has a spectacular aura aboutRolston87 has a spectacular aura aboutRolston87 has a spectacular aura about

I just read in the paper last week that the city wants a new arena.
It's kind of going back and forth between that and the new hospital.
Both are very crucial to the areas needs.
What are your opinions?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 PM
3rd Line

ncwalker will become famous soon enough
Default The Crack Smoking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
So as you can see, that area at the bottom can easily fit an arena TWICE THE SIZE of Mississauga's arena.

So you're right, we dont' have enough room for 5000 seat rink. How about a 10,000 seater?

Anyone care to send a shot of the JLC in London or the Aud in Kitch?

ANYONE ELSE HERE STILL SMOKING SO MUCH CRACK THEY THINK ARENAS WON'T FIT? (sorry, but TheQuietOne said the EXACT same thing last night on the game.... so hopefully the above photos have SHUT EVERYONE UP about this)
ADog, geez quit mixing words and tell us what you really think!

My response is this:

A: We are looking to fit the entire complex (parking, surrounding space, roads leading in and out, and both rinks (you missed part of the Brampton building)) not just the building only. We already have a rink with no parking. We don't need another. The Pen Parking lot is typically full now, much less if you bulldoze a huge section of it. No way will this work

B. While we're still dreamin (and smoking crack) we need to be dreaming this thing where the people are. HWY 20 might be the geographical centre of the area but that is not where the people are. Getting 6 000 to show up at a game willl means finding 3 000 more fans so we need to keep it close to where the people are

Keep dreaming and let's keep the sell outs coming !
Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,358 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsphotog View Post
If we are going to build a brand new rink, on the basis of existing problems with the Jack, they would obviously make sure those issues would not arise with the new one. parking is obviously an issue, as is access. I couldn't imagine trying to get to and park at the pen for a game in mid December. that place is already a nightmare with shoppers, now ad 4000 hockey fans...
You need to read the part about the *mutli-level-parking-lot*

Quote:
I love playing "virtual developer", and to be honest, i would put it at brock, on the southwest corner of st. davids and glenridge, where they have there parking and ball fields. could share the arena with the brock teams, and have students made easily accessible for part time employment. access to the highway is not far, as well as access south and north along glenridge. timmys & micky d's are close along with the four points in case teams need lodging. again, just my $0.02
Sounds good! But is there enough business out there to put money into the construction of a big rink? I'm thinking, this thing if it ever happens, is going to have to come from the private sector. As soon as any government assistance gets involved, it'll cost twice as much and take twice as long to build.

Aesthetically I think it would look best at the Pen (or downtown of course, but a rink downtown is just NOT an option), being in the center, with all the lights of other things going on around it.

Realistically, if it is funded privately and those fund-providers are ok with sticking it out in a more rural area, I'll go with that

I just thought it would be good to put right smack dab in a commercial area as you could get financial support for such a thing from the immediate surrounding area. IT would cause the surrounding area's value to go up meaning land and building owners could charge more for leasing, business would bring in more money with 5000 people going to their immediate area twice a week, and all that cash could find it's way back to the rink, making the rink owners happy. You put it out in a rural area, and you limit your income pretty much to ticket sales.

Then again, I know nothing about the behind-the-scenes financial workings of a rink anyway
Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Serving a Suspension

VERBATIM will become famous soon enough

Putting the rink in an area where nothing is gives you the opportunity to control what goes on your site like stores eating and shopping.
Maybe a regional sports complex major arena 3 smaller ones,
Baseball diamonds 4 to 6 of them. and who knows maybe even a pool, a Velodrome, indoor track, and other stuff.
All you need is $500,000 and you are a partner.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Serving a Suspension

Rolston87 has a spectacular aura aboutRolston87 has a spectacular aura aboutRolston87 has a spectacular aura about

I feel more people would come to the games if there was a new arena for the Dogs.
I've talked to some people who fight not going to the Jack because of the mess of an arena it is and the bench seats also don't help much. It would be a waste to put new seats in a 71 year old arena. Hmm let's see, Kingston Memorial Centre was built in 1950 and they're getting a new arena. The team's been there for a long time so I can see why they'd build a new arena. I'm curious about the attendance there.
It doesn't hurt to dream and hope and wish. Just my 2 cents thats all.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 PM
MabiDawg

I hate to be the realist here...but the virtual arena will never fly...do you know the average age of this community??? Do you know the average age of the average voter in this community??? The voters are teh ones who hire the elected officails...the elected officials want to stay there, so they vote in accordance to the wants of their constituants... in short...aint gonna happen in town...the old farts want a hospital...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Serving a Suspension

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
Putting the rink in an area where nothing is gives you the opportunity to control what goes on your site like stores eating and shopping.
Maybe a regional sports complex major arena 3 smaller ones,
Baseball diamonds 4 to 6 of them. and who knows maybe even a pool, a Velodrome, indoor track, and other stuff.
All you need is $500,000 and you are a partner.
$500,000 for being a partner for the arena committee. It's a nice thought but how many people are members? I would join if I had a good job.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,358 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Originally Posted by GoDogsGo
i dont think that there is enough room there.. i agree with the multi level lot...but build a new structure (arena) that size... you need alot more land than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MabiDawg View Post
I agree...
SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM BEATING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL!!! Am I going crazy????

Did I not post multiple images of the the exact scale Brampton and Mississauga rinks in the Pen center area just a few msgs back !!???

I did that and people STILL think it won't fit !!?? aaaaahhhhh I don't know what else to do. I've given visual proof of MULTIPLE brampton and missy arenas in that space, and people say it doesn't fit still! aarrrrr!!!!! Ok I'm losin it.

Quote:
heard word that the consideration is a parcel of land out by White Oaks that is in all honesty, still quite centrally located. Ya i know it would mean a bit more of a drive for those of us from St Catharines, but lets look at the rest of the region that attends..
Actually White Oaks isn't far for anyone in St. Kitts. That's a pretty good location actually (if it werea available). You can take Glendale to get there, you can take Queenston Rd. to get there, for people in the north end you can go through NOTL backroads, or Canal Rd, etc.... plus the QEW. It's definitely still booneyland but it's close to the Niagara College campus (not sure if they have residents though so I dunno if there'd be a big student population going to games).
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Serving a Suspension

VERBATIM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolston87 View Post
$500,000 for being a partner for the arena committee. It's a nice thought but how many people are members? I would join if I had a good job.
Not a commitee, an owner in the complex there is already 13 people willing to put up that much.
Don't want any gov money or involvment no grants or anything to do with people who vote.
500 K buys you a share and a seat on the board.
It will be functional to the point and do what it supposed to do facilitate the playing of Hockey and making money.

Tags
new arena