Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,417    Downloads: 1,182,440   Msgs Posted: 120,976   Thread Views: 21,202,869   Online Now: 80
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:55 PM
3rd Line

g_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud of

Couldn't make it today but from what I saw yesterday, I was impressed with Liam Dorr (FA) and Brannon Butler. Liam Dorr is a small but speedy forward that just kept catching my attention. Butler (2018) is a good sized stay at home D that laid out a couple of decent hits and seemed calm and poised on the back end.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,527 Times in 841 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Caught the first half of black and grey this morning

Not as many detailed notes as my previous update as I’m doing this a couple hours after the fact

Best players on the ice:
Grey
Tomasino
Lodnia

Black
Maksimov
Bruder

Observations:
Well Sopa can definitely skate ... his skating is definitely OHL caliber. First impressions were that he reminded me of the jean machine Pavel Demin... small, quick, not particularly gritty. I’ll give him some slack for now as my viewing was very limited ...

Sopa was blindside hit by Dokis Dupuis at one point. Love Dokis Dupuis’ size. However in a league game if the refs were paying attention that hit would likely be five and a game misconduct ...

Tomasino holy moly was impressive ... he has another gear this year apparently ... very noticeable out there. As was Lodnia who is going to be a treat to watch this year. Lodnia and Tomasino I believe we’re playing on a line together with Uberti.

Others have mentioned Uberti on here... not sure about his skating ... need to see more of him.

Bruder showed us why he’s a fourth liner as he was rewarded with a forgettable scrimmage game penalty shot, stopped by Dhillon,

Maksimov looked good out there too.

I saw a guy named Sivek from EV Landshut was on the blue line for black. Guessing he’s another import? Did not see the WHL import out there this am.

Jaleel Adams had a decent first half but I think he skates like a Jr B player.

This game seemed more evenly balanced than the first game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2018, 02:02 PM
Team Captain

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default Ice Dogs Training Camp next week..

My takeaways from what I saw this morning.

Keep in mind I only saw the last half of the first game and the first half of the second game.

None of the returning icedogs looked BAD out there ... they all looked like they are OHL quality players ... even Bruder looks better than last year.

What impressed me most, in order of magnitude of impression left:

Tomasino - really looked good in my limited viewing
Martin - surprised by his play
Lodnia - as advertised .... puck controller great skater .... fan favourite this year I think
Thomas - looks stronger faster and taller .... could challenge for OHL scoring title ?
Sopa - can skate, needs to change my impression that he might be Demin 2.0 ... is that a moustache or a goatee he’s trying to grow lol

Lleyton Moore - kid can skate, didn’t look out of place
Billy C - high risk high reward player ... made some mistakes but fun to watch
Drew Hunter - solid

None of the unknown kids really stood out for me... probably due to my small viewing sample size ...

Old 08-29-2018, 03:02 PM
2nd Line

Newdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
My takeaways from what I saw this morning.

Keep in mind I only saw the last half of the first game and the first half of the second game.

None of the returning icedogs looked BAD out there ... they all looked like they are OHL quality players ... even Bruder looks better than last year.

What impressed me most, in order of magnitude of impression left:

Tomasino - really looked good in my limited viewing
Martin - surprised by his play
Lodnia - as advertised .... puck controller great skater .... fan favourite this year I think
Thomas - looks stronger faster and taller .... could challenge for OHL scoring title ?
Sopa - can skate, needs to change my impression that he might be Demin 2.0 ... is that a moustache or a goatee he’s trying to grow lol

Lleyton Moore - kid can skate, didn’t look out of place
Billy C - high risk high reward player ... made some mistakes but fun to watch
Drew Hunter - solid

None of the unknown kids really stood out for me... probably due to my small viewing sample size ...

What about Maksimov & Jones? We need them to have stand-out seasons too? Phillip & Castleman? Never fulfilled their promise from the year they made the team and had average seasons last year? Any comments on them?
Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdawgsfan View Post
What about Maksimov & Jones? We need them to have stand-out seasons too? Phillip & Castleman? Never fulfilled their promise from the year they made the team and had average seasons last year? Any comments on them?

My post was mostly who left the biggest impressions on me.

I will comment on the four you mentioned.

Some of my other updates mentioned how Jones could do whatever he wanted in the offensive zone. So he was dominant. Playing on a line with Phillip and they had some chemistry.

Maksimov looked good but didn’t look as impressive as the others I mentioned.

Funny you should mention Castleman.

I have to say that I did not notice him at all in the two half games that I watched. He could be one of the only Dogs where I didn’t look down at the sheet and say oh ya that’s so and so. So, I would say, you could interpret that as me saying that Castleman was not noticeable whatsoever.

Sorry bout that Nicedawg.

😉

The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
With the right linemates, Philip can impress. I'd start him with Jones and Maksimov on the top line. Really give him a chance to succeed, plus he appears to have pretty good chemistry with Jones on Team White.

I think Castleman is going to rebound this year if he stays healthy. He got bounced all over the lineup last year, I think he cements himself a spot on the 3rd line pretty early on. My best case scenario for him is, he has a good first half and gets shipped out with picks (and a chance to start over) for an upgrade on LW or defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM
2nd Line

Newdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
With the right linemates, Philip can impress. I'd start him with Jones and Maksimov on the top line. Really give him a chance to succeed, plus he appears to have pretty good chemistry with Jones on Team White.

I think Castleman is going to rebound this year if he stays healthy. He got bounced all over the lineup last year, I think he cements himself a spot on the 3rd line pretty early on. My best case scenario for him is, he has a good first half and gets shipped out with picks (and a chance to start over) for an upgrade on LW or defense.
Interesting idea. So top 2 lines could be:

Phillip Jones Maksimov
Tomasino Thomas Lodnia

Not sure which of those would be considered the "top line" actually!
Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 PM
1st Line

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting idea. So top 2 lines could be:

Phillip Jones Maksimov
Tomasino Thomas Lodnia

Not sure which of those would be considered the "top line" actually!
Tomasino looked really good with Lodnia in tonight's final scrimmage.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Big League

Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,084 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Tomasino raring to go
By Bill Potrecz

http://www.bpsportsniagara.ca/tomasino-raring-to-go/

Burke said. “The pace he plays at, he’ll fit into our top six, for sure.”

“It’s only been one day but his speed — he looks faster — and he looks bigger and stronger. I’m really excited for him.”

“He’ll play with some veteran guys. We’re still working out the lines and he’ll be playing with some talented players. He’s a finisher and he can make plays,” Burke said. “He has real separation speed. Everything you’re looking for in a modern day player, he’s got it.”

Logjam on defence for IceDogs
By Bill Potrecz

http://www.bpsportsniagara.ca/logjam...e-for-icedogs/

The decision could go down to the wire. “With the nine D we have signed now, they are all OHL defencemen,” Burke said. “They would all play on most teams in the league, even the young guys like (Mason) Howard or Nardi.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 PM

Thanked 2,759 Times in 1,508 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Funny you should mention Castleman.

I have to say that I did not notice him at all in the two half games that I watched. He could be one of the only Dogs where I didn’t look down at the sheet and say oh ya that’s so and so. So, I would say, you could interpret that as me saying that Castleman was not noticeable whatsoever.

Sorry bout that Nicedawg.
Yesterday he scored... today different line-up. Castleman has never been on the same line twice it seems, but when he finally settles in with a line, he plays well. I am still thinking this is his year, but if he doesn't turn it back on by December, I will need a new jersey for Christmas