Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,841    Downloads: 2,810,965   Msgs Posted: 139,290   Thread Views: 45,795,273   Online Now: 94
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: What happens now?
Bill and Denise fire their sons and hire new staff. 0 0%
Bill and Denise sell the team. 11 64.71%
Bill and Denise avoid commenting and ride out the storm. 6 35.29%
Something else (aka, who cares) 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2022, 03:24 PM
Top Prospect

the dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond repute

Few years back city of branford said no to new arena and old arena was not feasible to renovate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 03:29 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,203 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
Few years back city of branford said no to new arena and old arena was not feasible to renovate
I remember that now, thank you. I think the league would take a chance on convincing municipal partners to build something (like they did with The Jack), but I just don't see the fanbase emerging from Brantford like it did in Niagara. There was only an 11 year gap between The Thunder and The IceDogs. The Alexanders had a six-year run that ended in 1984, which by my math is 38 years without a hue and cry!
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 03:35 PM
1st Line

5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to a friend who is definitely in the know about the lease. He said there is no escape clause in the lease and in fact the lease states that the team cannot be moved during the first 20 year term. In order for the team to be moved, DeDobbelaer would need to break the lease which would trigger a lawsuit from the city. As well the OHL would need to approve the move, which they would never do if it involves illegally breaking a lease.

However, DeDobbelaer has wanted to bring a team to Brantford as far back as 2015 and I do believe his ultimate goal is to own a Brantford OHL team. Itís also interested to note that previously he has had talks with the owner of the Mississauga team and their lease is up after next season.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 03:52 PM
4th Line

poochlover has a spectacular aura aboutpoochlover has a spectacular aura about

They would be foolish and ill advised to move the team. There is a tremendous fan base,arena and location for this franchise. The fly in the ointment here is the overall management of the team and the disastrous decisions they have made. A change and installation of real hockey management and the opportunities are limitless!!
Old 05-04-2022, 04:33 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,410 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default What do you THINK will happen next?

If he buys this team with the idea to move it to Brantford eventually, then he is an even bigger, (how do we say this nicely without getting a slap on the wrist from a moderator) dummy, then the two current bozos (BB and JB) who were in charge of this franchise.

We are not talking about the dire days of the NF thunder for those of us old enough to remember, where crowds by the end were friends and family only in a dumpy arena.

This team was a debacle on and off the ice and had the fourth best attendance in the league in a beautiful facility.

He will be paying a lot in this purchase price for the goodwill established by Burkes Sr . ALOT.

I cannot imagine he pisses it away to move THIS franchise to Brantford.

If he wanted to move a franchise to Brantford, there are probably other candidates in this league for that (Flint? Mississauga?) who could be had for much lower price I presume, and, those fan bases for the most part would not even notice the team gone.

Never say never but I simply cannot imagine he is buying it with the intent to move one day.

I for one am looking forward to a potential sale and the exodus of the Burke influence on this team which feels like a dark cloud these past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 04:53 PM
Big League

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me a little nervous, I have to admit.

Quote:
As well the OHL would need to approve the move,
The OHL would be crazy to let a team in the top 4 of attendance move. That is the opposite of helpful for the league. We have been 4th in attendance for the last 4 seasons. It is not like it was a fluke because we had a star player and a hot team for 1 year. They also know our fans travel sometimes. That is good for the other teams.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:26 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,305 Times in 890 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!

A little history of Branford failed OHL team https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantford_Alexanders
Old 05-04-2022, 08:09 PM
4th Line

Dawg Tired is a glorious beacon of lightDawg Tired is a glorious beacon of lightDawg Tired is a glorious beacon of lightDawg Tired is a glorious beacon of lightDawg Tired is a glorious beacon of lightDawg Tired is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by three dog night View Post
A little history of Branford failed OHL team https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantford_Alexanders
Reading a little closer, Before they were the Alexanders, they were the St. Catharines Fincups and after that they eventually became the Niagara Falls Thunder before leaving the area for Erie.

St. Catharines had the Fincups for only 1 Season in 1978. Between then and 2007, there was no JR hockey team that called St. Catharines home. That's a 29 year absence of JR hockey in St. Catharines. (No, I don't count the Saints as filling the gap in any way)

Love or hate the Burkes, they brought JR hockey back to St. Catharines and have made it survive here for the last 16 years. The team was managed well enough to make the playoffs all but 2 of those seasons and pull in good attendance. In fact, good enough that the city, who wouldn't even consider it previously, put up that ice palace that we get to enjoy now.

Now, even though detractors of the Burkes have gotten what they want, the 2 junior Burkes removed, people in here still talk like they want to run the Burkes out of town. My opinion is to watch out what you wish for, it just might come true. This area has a history of new owners taking an interest for a couple of seasons, putting in a loser for a few more and using that to justify selling and moving for a profit when attendance drops.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawg Tired For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 08:43 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,203 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Tired View Post
This area has a history of new owners taking an interest for a couple of seasons, putting in a loser for a few more and using that to justify selling and moving for a profit when attendance drops.
Let me preface what I am about to say by adding the disclaimer that I am a big fan of Bill Sr and Denise Burke. They brought Junior Hockey back to the area and united the Region under one team. Bravo! They were also the driving force behind the Meridian Centre. Kudos! They have been strong champions of many community causes that I also support. Thank You!

Now, let's get real for a second. Team ownership is a business, and any team is for sale every day. When the offer is right or the business goes wrong, then selling for a profit is always a good move. The Burkes have had controversy the last few years and the team has not done well. Their business model is good except for the people they relied upon to run it. Let's not also forget they ticked off the OHL at times and what may have been a rebuke elsewhere, is a capital case because it is Niagara, so the playing field is not even. I have zero doubt that the payoffs and disgusting language are in other clubs as well. They shouldn't be, I don't condone or accept either, I am just pointing out the playing field is not level.

So, it's a business. Selling a business and making a buck (or millions of them) is all very normal and natural. I don't believe for a second that anyone is running B&D out of town, but I do see the logic in selling for a large profit when your other choice is to publicly rebuke your sons.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 02:10 AM
4th Line

poochlover has a spectacular aura aboutpoochlover has a spectacular aura about

Who cares!! B@D should be run out of town as they let B jr and his imbecile brother destroy a franchise!! Get out!!