Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,841    Downloads: 2,810,965   Msgs Posted: 139,290   Thread Views: 45,795,151   Online Now: 90
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:56 PM
Big League

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Theyíll do it but will it matter if the team on the ice is garbage itís not like heíll be there taking pictures every game
If he merely shows up once a year, it will be all over social media and there will be a buzz in the arena.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:02 PM
Big League

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Just occurred to me. Not everyone has a Standard online account. So I will post a little more.

Quote:

His interest in buying an OHL team is nothing new, but this deal was the one that came together.

“It’s something that I’ve been dabbling in and kicking some tires, you could say, for some time, but you know what — the facility is one of the best and I went to Brock University myself. I love the Niagara region, the fan support, the business model. This was the perfect fit for me.”

DeDobbelaer said his connection with Gretzky is simple. They share an accountant.

“I called him (the accountant) and said we need to work on a new opportunity,” DeDobbelaer said. “He asked what it was. I told him about the IceDogs, and the next day I received a call saying Wayne wanted to get involved.

“He has his winery down in Niagara and everything, so it’s a good fit. And being the Great One, it’s a good fit for the league and for me.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,030 Times in 836 Posts
dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
If he merely shows up once a year, it will be all over social media and there will be a buzz in the arena.
If they have a good team theyíll have a buzz in the arena you donít need Wayne for that Iím not saying having his name connected wonít help I just donít think it helps as much as people think it will
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,410 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
If you donít think they are going to play up the Gretzky connection as part of marketing, I think you are way wrong.

Personally I think you are way wrong

Time will tell

He has a minority ownership. Who knows if he even put up $ for it or if it was given to him. It could be as little as 1%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Curmudgeon

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I am extremely skeptical about this. Let?s see if Gretzky does any media interviews about his purchase of the Icedogs.

I hope I am wrong but let?s face it, no one wanted DeDobbelaer to buy the team. So is anyone talking about DeDobbelaer bad reputation, his troubles with the OHA, his poor performing junior teams. Nope. Everyone is talking about Gretzky buying the IceDogs.

So did Gretzky buy the Icedogs or did DeDobbelaer give Gretzky a minority stake in the team to help get his application to buy the team approved by the OHL and to take the heat off him.

I guess we will see if Gretzky has any interest in the team. Just seems weird that with the money Gretzky has why he wouldn?t by 50% of the team. Why only a minority stake and let DeDobbelaer call all the shots. Unless of course he was given the stake in the team. Then it makes sense.

You say many things I am thinking in this post

BRAVO

Old 07-07-2022, 09:21 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,203 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Why will he help sell tickets? Is he playing? I did not realize he was lacing up the skates.
He is the minority owner.
I agree it is good news.
Hopefully he will not let this guy embarrass the Great One.

But to come out and say that he will quote for sure quote help sell some tickets is kind of silly.

The only way he may help sell some tickets is if he actually comes to a game and drops the puck lol

Extra crispy today huh? The picture of the new owners (including Wayne) says it all to me. Yes, having him attend a game or two would put the local fans (and the league) into orbit. Heck we have had some minor celebrities (and a PM) at our games to great effect much less The Great One.

If all he did was show up, sit in the box and give us a "Go Dogs Go" the place would go crazy. C'mon even you have to be a 'lil enthused by that prospect?!
Old 07-07-2022, 10:11 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Extra crispy today huh? The picture of the new owners (including Wayne) says it all to me. Yes, having him attend a game or two would put the local fans (and the league) into orbit. Heck we have had some minor celebrities (and a PM) at our games to great effect much less The Great One.

If all he did was show up, sit in the box and give us a "Go Dogs Go" the place would go crazy. C'mon even you have to be a 'lil enthused by that prospect?!

Put a winning product on the ice and I will be enthused

Hire a real coach and GM and I will be enthused

Stop wasting draft pick assets and I will be enthused

How often do you really think he is going to show up?

Pretty sad if we are getting excited about the appearance of a minority owner once or twice a year at our games

Wow

The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 11:06 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,203 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Put a winning product on the ice and I will be enthused

Hire a real coach and GM and I will be enthused

Stop wasting draft pick assets and I will be enthused

How often do you really think he is going to show up?

Pretty sad if we are getting excited about the appearance of a minority owner once or twice a year at our games

Wow

After so much negativity with the Burke Boys, this is a ray of sunshine. Maybe Wayne calls up Silent Sam and asks him to play?

I think the split was 5% ($1M)

Last edited by NiceDawg; 07-07-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:28 AM
Big League

I see nothing but upside. If Wayne was not going to participate he could have insisted on keeping his ownership stake a secret. And let’s face it, there are a million other things for Wayne to invest in that would be more lucrative and not require his public participation.

My prediction, he shows up once a season and does some media, greets some fans, wears a Dogs jersey. We will see his image in the arena, his wine for sale. If the team does well, I can see him showing up in the playoffs. I can also see management using the Gretzky connection to attract players. I can also see Gretzky advocating for the Memorial Cup being played here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 08:28 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,525 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I see nothing but upside. If Wayne was not going to participate he could have insisted on keeping his ownership stake a secret. And letís face it, there are a million other things for Wayne to invest in that would be more lucrative and not require his public participation.

My prediction, he shows up once a season and does some media, greets some fans, wears a Dogs jersey. We will see his image in the arena, his wine for sale. If the team does well, I can see him showing up in the playoffs. I can also see management using the Gretzky connection to attract players. I can also see Gretzky advocating for the Memorial Cup being played here.
It would be great if he advocated them getting a proper GM.