Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,841    Downloads: 2,810,970   Msgs Posted: 139,290   Thread Views: 45,796,123   Online Now: 94
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: What happens now?
Bill and Denise fire their sons and hire new staff. 0 0%
Bill and Denise sell the team. 11 64.71%
Bill and Denise avoid commenting and ride out the storm. 6 35.29%
Something else (aka, who cares) 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #291  
Old 07-21-2022, 07:55 PM
strohs's Avatar
strohs strohs is offline
Curmudgeon
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 5,027
Thanks: 143
Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,410 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default

If he buys this team for the purposes of moving it to Brantford then good riddance, because he would be probably the stupidest businessman in southern Ontario by making that decision.

Because why would you pay millions of dollars for the goodwill created by the burke family to build up the icedogs brand and then move it to a city without a suitable arena? You are literally pissing away millions of dollars.

Never say never but this team is not going anywhere.

More laughable is that he does not understand the peaks and valleys that 19 of the 20 OHL teams undergo with regard to contending. The fact that he cannot comprehend that is more concerning to me as a fan than the constant innuendo about relocating to a city without a suitable arena lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
  #292  
Old 07-22-2022, 12:25 AM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 662
Thanks: 60
Thanked 485 Times in 264 Posts
5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Because why would you pay millions of dollars for the goodwill created by the burke family to build up the icedogs brand and then move it to a city without a suitable arena? You are literally pissing away millions of dollars.
If DeDobbelaer has tried to relocate an OHL team to Brantford for the last 15 years, do you really think he will give up his dream now. In order to make it work, they need Brantford to either expand their current arena or build a new arena. That is were Gretzky comes in. It would be hard for the city to say no when their hometown hero is willing to move an OHL team to the city.

But the only way the Icedogs can be moved before 2034 is if DeDobbelaer gets another team to move here and take over the lease and the city of St. Catharines gives it's blessing. Getting another team to move here would be easy. Niagara has a nice arena, good fan and corporate support and a great lease. Once another team moves here, DeDobblear then moves the IceDogs to Brantford. But the IceDogs name means nothing in Brantford. So he sells the rights to the Icedogs name (and the goodwill that is attached to the name) to the incoming team owner and DeDobbelaer recoups some of his money. Or that money is then put towards a new Brantford facility.

To the average fan in Niagara, nothing changes. An OHL team called the Icedogs still play at the Meridian Centre. But DeDobblear has achieved his goal of owning a Brantford OHL team.

Is this guaranteed to happen? No. A lot of things have to fall into place but I think this is DeDobblear's plan. While DeDobblear may not be the smartest hockey guy, he is smart when it comes to business. He was able to move the Tier 2 Jr. A team in Milton to Brantford despite the OHA not approving the move. If he wants an OHL team in Brantford, I think he will get it.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 07-22-2022 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
  #293  
Old 07-22-2022, 12:40 AM
5 for fighting 5 for fighting is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 662
Thanks: 60
Thanked 485 Times in 264 Posts
5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
More laughable is that he does not understand the peaks and valleys that 19 of the 20 OHL teams undergo with regard to contending.
A fully agree with you on this. But I actually think his plan is to never win the championship but always have a competitive team. He mentioned in the BP Sports article that he wanted to be the GM because the GM should also be the business guy. In other words, he doesn't want a GM that sacrifices a season in order to win a championship. He wants to GM that looks at the potential to sell tickets each year.

In the Rod Mawhood interview, Rod asked if DeDobbelaer thought this season was still a rebuild or if they are going for it. He really didn't give an answer but said he wants to put the best team on the ice each season and mentioned that he made the 5 trades to accomplish this. I really don't think he is willing to do what it takes to win a championship. He would much rather have a 0.500 team every season.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
  #294  
Old 07-22-2022, 09:04 AM
fishfan51's Avatar
fishfan51 fishfan51 is offline
Resident OHL Expert
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,320
Thanks: 290
Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,415 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
If DeDobbelaer has tried to relocate an OHL team to Brantford for the last 15 years, do you really think he will give up his dream now. In order to make it work, they need Brantford to either expand their current arena or build a new arena. That is were Gretzky comes in. It would be hard for the city to say no when their hometown hero is willing to move an OHL team to the city.

But the only way the Icedogs can be moved before 2034 is if DeDobbelaer gets another team to move here and take over the lease and the city of St. Catharines gives it's blessing. Getting another team to move here would be easy. Niagara has a nice arena, good fan and corporate support and a great lease. Once another team moves here, DeDobblear then moves the IceDogs to Brantford. But the IceDogs name means nothing in Brantford. So he sells the rights to the Icedogs name (and the goodwill that is attached to the name) to the incoming team owner and DeDobbelaer recoups some of his money. Or that money is then put towards a new Brantford facility.

To the average fan in Niagara, nothing changes. An OHL team called the Icedogs still play at the Meridian Centre. But DeDobblear has achieved his goal of owning a Brantford OHL team.

Is this guaranteed to happen? No. A lot of things have to fall into place but I think this is DeDobblear's plan. While DeDobblear may not be the smartest hockey guy, he is smart when it comes to business. He was able to move the Tier 2 Jr. A team in Milton to Brantford despite the OHA not approving the move. If he wants an OHL team in Brantford, I think he will get it.
That's quite the rabbit hole.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
  #295  
Old 07-22-2022, 09:45 AM
pez3145's Avatar
pez3145 pez3145 is offline
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niagara
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 69 Times in 36 Posts
pez3145 is just really nicepez3145 is just really nicepez3145 is just really nicepez3145 is just really nice
Default

Dedobblaer is setting up a different organization based on what he has done already. North York Rangers manager and hockey college director is your head scout. You have two junior b teams and the ohl team.
They will leverage all the resources to channel 11 year old prospects into their channel. Come to our hockey school play bantam at North York. The brightest 15 year olds play jr b and can be guarantee mid round pick for the icedogs.
That is my guess at their model.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pez3145 For This Useful Post:
  #296  
Old 07-22-2022, 09:59 AM
three dog night three dog night is offline
All Star
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: st.catharines Section A Row F Seat 9
Posts: 6,429
Thanks: 3,193
Thanked 1,305 Times in 890 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!
Default

I still believe Hamilton is the stumbling block for an OHL team in Brantford because that they’re leverage to a new arena or the renovation to First Ontario Centre.
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 07-22-2022, 11:15 AM
fishfan51's Avatar
fishfan51 fishfan51 is offline
Resident OHL Expert
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,320
Thanks: 290
Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,415 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three dog night View Post
I still believe Hamilton is the stumbling block for an OHL team in Brantford because that they’re leverage to a new arena or the renovation to First Ontario Centre.
Hamilton isn't an issue.

Mississauga is 38 minutes to Hamilton (arena to arena). No issue.
Guelph is 31 minutes from Kitchener (arena to arena) No issue.
Mississauga was 10 minutes from Brampton. (arena to arena) No issue.
Hamilton is 43 minutes from Niagara. (arena to arena) No issue.

Brandford is 35 minutes to Hamilton (arena to arena).

You need to stop being hung up on territorial rights, they're basically non-existent in the OHL.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 07-22-2022, 11:19 AM
three dog night three dog night is offline
All Star
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: st.catharines Section A Row F Seat 9
Posts: 6,429
Thanks: 3,193
Thanked 1,305 Times in 890 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!
Default

The OHL asked for Kitchener approval to put a team in Guelph they also asked our permission to transfer Belleville to Hamilton.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 07-22-2022, 02:10 PM
OlDawg OlDawg is offline
3rd Line
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vineland Station
Posts: 276
Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
OlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
Last pick in the 2nd round? When was the rules changed. Up until this year’s draft, teams would get their regular first round draft pick plus their first round Compensatory Pick that was one pick later than the previous draft.

The last OHL draft had 23 first round picks as 3 teams had the additional Compensatory Picks.
You are correct...
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 07-22-2022, 07:41 PM
NiceDawg's Avatar
NiceDawg NiceDawg is offline
Grump
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,280
Thanks: 1,613
Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,203 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Hamilton isn't an issue.

Mississauga is 38 minutes to Hamilton (arena to arena). No issue.
Guelph is 31 minutes from Kitchener (arena to arena) No issue.
Mississauga was 10 minutes from Brampton. (arena to arena) No issue.
Hamilton is 43 minutes from Niagara. (arena to arena) No issue.

Brandford is 35 minutes to Hamilton (arena to arena).

You need to stop being hung up on territorial rights, they're basically non-existent in the OHL.
I agree... fanbase is the deciding factor. If a new club would split an existing fanbase then a team might have an objection. In the Mississauga/Brampton battle, the closest two franchises, it didn't matter because neither had (has?) a significant fanbase
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2019