Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,839    Downloads: 2,747,821   Msgs Posted: 138,412   Thread Views: 43,904,644   Online Now: 96
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:00 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
If they were not the owners kids, and they had the same experience that they have (zero), the. They would not have been in those positions to have been criticized because they would not have been hired

So they deserved the criticism that was lobbed at them by virtue of the fact that they only got the jobs cuz of nepotism

And generally I did not mind JB as GM I mean he made some mistakes every GM does. I often wondered if he was Blacksox tbh lol

Apparently JB (by his own admission) did not know how to hire a scouting staff. Lol

BB on the other hand I could not stand and he was in over his head IMO and may have cost us a legit shot at a championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were assistant coach/GM for years people get the head jobs after that plenty of times maybe not with the same team but still eventually assistants get shots if they want them. I personally donít think BB cost us a shot at a championship that team (especially in net) wasnít good enough IMO
Old 05-06-2022, 06:12 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,375 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
They were assistant coach/GM for years people get the head jobs after that plenty of times maybe not with the same team but still eventually assistants get shots if they want them. I personally donít think BB cost us a shot at a championship that team (especially in net) wasnít good enough IMO

And how often do people get assistant coaching and GM jobs in the OHL with absolutely zero coaching or managerial experience at any other level of junior? Get back to me on that answer. Pretty sure the answer would be - never - unless your parents happen to own an OHL team.

That was one of JBs mistakes - going with Dhillon in net. I mean teams do win with OA goalies in net. Better coaching may have helped ?.

The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 06:20 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
And how often do people get assistant coaching and GM jobs in the OHL with absolutely zero coaching or managerial experience at any other level of junior? Get back to me on that answer. Pretty sure the answer would be - never - unless your parents happen to own an OHL team.

That was one of JBs mistakes - going with Dhillon in net. I mean teams do win with OA goalies in net. Better coaching may have helped ?.

You’re right they probably wouldn’t have gotten the assistant job without the parents but the point is still the same assistants usually get a shot so they should’ve gotten a shot which they did. Teams do win with OA goalies but like I said that year I don’t think a coach would change anything cause Dhillon wasn’t good enough IMO no matter who the coach was

Last edited by dogs777; 05-06-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:14 PM
Curmudgeon

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

But you are missing the point they would not have got assistant jobs to begin with lol

Old 05-06-2022, 10:20 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think that Billy at times was unfairly criticized, especially the last two seasons as the players were not good enough. But I do think it’s fair to criticize him for the 2nd round loss to Oshawa after Oshawa traded two of their top players to us. During that series, we won the first 2 games and then Oshawa changed their game plan and won 4 straight. We had no response and continued with the same strategy all series.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 05-06-2022 at 10:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 10:22 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,870 Times in 2,148 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Youíre right they probably wouldnít have gotten the assistant job without the parents but the point is still the same assistants usually get a shot so they shouldíve gotten a shot which they did. Teams do win with OA goalies but like I said that year I donít think a coach would change anything cause Dhillon wasnít good enough IMO no matter who the coach was
Both JB and BB were apprentices under Marty Williamson. Although they were given the titles "Assistant" that was a gross exaggeration of their experience and qualification. When Marty was dismissed I fully expected someone legitimate to continue the education of JB and BB. In no other circumstance would someone rise from apprentice to master in such a short time. Another year would not have brought them any closer to competence. Heck even the addition of an "Associate" coach couldn't make up for BB's ineptitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 10:27 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,870 Times in 2,148 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
continued with the same strategy all series.
He had the same strategy all career! Watch a few games and it's easy to anticipate. Once teams did this, BB didn't have a second, third or ninth strategy to pivot towards. "Pass it to the good player" only works to about age 13.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:08 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I actually think that Billy at times was unfairly criticized, especially the last two seasons as the players were not good enough. But I do think it?s fair to criticize him for the 2nd round loss to Oshawa after Oshawa traded two of their top players to us. During that series, we won the first 2 games and then Oshawa changed their game plan and won 4 straight. We had no response and continued with the same strategy all series.

Plus Loved his bone headed decision to put Akhil Thomas out there in the last minute of that playoff game versus the Troops in round one that was super nasty game and then He ended up getting hurt.

He was in over his head.

I think a lot of the nonsensical lack of discipline especially this year can be attributed back to his lack of composure behind the bench.

Some on here think he was a good coach. I guess so let?s see if he gets hired somewhere else in the OHL now they mommy and daddy may not own a team soon. ROFLMFAO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2022, 11:07 AM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that either Billy Jnr or Joey are allowed to work anywhere in the OHL so for at least, two years we will never know if any other team has any interest in giving them a position. At least this gives the Ice Dogs the opportunity to hire qualified personnel for those two positions.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchar View Post
I don't believe that either Billy Jnr or Joey are allowed to work anywhere in the OHL so for at least, two years we will never know if any other team has any interest in giving them a position. At least this gives the Ice Dogs the opportunity to hire qualified personnel for those two positions.

Uhmm no one will be interested in them unless mom and dad buy another team lol