Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,742    Downloads: 1,635,383   Msgs Posted: 130,387   Thread Views: 27,152,380   Online Now: 102
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,200 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
IMO whether you have the worst starting goalie in the league or the best you need to give the backup a chance to steal the job. For at least the first third of the season the backup needs to play at least once per weekend. If he starts to outplay the starter he should play more. Otherwise why would a backup with any kind of potential consider signing with a team that has a starter in place? Incze outplayed Dhillon most of the year 2 years ago and wasn't given a real shot at starting. Dhillon was an okay starter at best and while trying to plug every hole on the team last year it didn't seem like replacing him was even considered.
Not sure if it still goes on but I have read that during team orientation with the parents, the Burke family informed the parents that the boys would be treated like part of the family.
That is where the loyalty to a fault most likely starts.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Alwayssunny1 is on a distinguished road

Dhillon wasn't a bad goalie but more so a streaky goalie, he was good at handling the puck and almost stole us a few games against Hamilton 2 years ago in the playoffs.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,103 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayssunny1 View Post
Dhillon wasn't a bad goalie but more so a streaky goalie, he was good at handling the puck and almost stole us a few games against Hamilton 2 years ago in the playoffs.

For an OA goalie his rebound control wasn’t very good, his glove hand was embarrassingly bad, and, he sure chose to blow up at the wrong time of his career in the playoffs last year with that stupid penalty he took...

I guess the poor rebound control and weak glove hand were why he was an OA goalie and waived claim fodder in the ECHL ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Team Captain

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Strohs, like I said - the fact that "you didn't like the trade" is an opinion and that's fair. Valuing any trade based on facts (did he overpay in comparison to other similar trades) - or an opinion (I didn't like the trade) are two different discussions. In fact, if you recall, I wasn't pleased with the trade either.

But when you review Joey Burke's complete body of work, as a seller and buyer, he has done a good job as a GM.

If I were the GM, I would not have made the Miletic trade - and I would never have traded Lochead for anything less than a 2nd in 2019 or 2020.

Other than those two moves, he has done a great job drafting, identifying talent (e.g., Maksimov), trading for elite talent (at market value), acquiring talent (below market value) and is fantastic at recouping picks (especially getting them in right years).

Thanks for reminding me how badly he looked with the Lochead trade... was trying to forget that embarrassment ...

Twice the Knights have pulled the wool over JB’s eyes ...

Old 11-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,244 Times in 1,614 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Thanks for reminding me how badly he looked with the Lochead trade..
Agree! Aside from those two moves, Joey Burke’s resume as a GM is more than respectable. He has been in the GM role for three year - and will only continue to get better with each year of experience.

The thought process on the initial moves (trades and draft) in this rebuild indicate a different and better approach for sure. The return for Thomas and Lodnia will be no doubt be a point of great interest for the fans that truly care.

And if we find out in April, that drafting Luca was not just a coincidence. Wow!
Old 11-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Agree! Aside from those two moves, Joey Burke’s resume as a GM is more than respectable. He has been in the GM role for three year - and will only continue to get better with each year of experience.

The thought process on the initial moves (trades and draft) in this rebuild indicate a different and better approach for sure. The return for Thomas and Lodnia will be no doubt be a point of great interest for the fans that truly care.

And if we find out in April, that drafting Luca was not just a coincidence. Wow!

If he’s such a good GM, why didn’t he fire the coach after the playoff debacle last season?

Hehehe

Settle down Blacksox, I’m
Joking .......

The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Big League

Chipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond repute

That's the whole problem with our set-up ....no repercussions whatsoever....what a joke.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,200 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
If he’s such a good GM, why didn’t he fire the coach after the playoff debacle last season?

Hehehe

Settle down Blacksox, I’m
Joking .......

Good point, even though we will probably never see it.
I have written about this scenario in the past.
How do you have a family Christmas after you have just fired your brother or son and still have a quality Xmas family get together?

Now, If I were the GM, and not related, considering last year's team, with improved goaltending, the current head coach just might not be here this season, but, that is just my thoughts'

Hmmmm..
Old 11-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

There’s a reason why you see so many ‘re-tread’ coaches in the OHL. George Burnett getting gig after gig. Stan Butler sticking around FOREVER. Even Marty Williamson’s back in the game now with Erie(and you can bet he’s going to be a HC again).Many others who have EXPERIENCE. Guys who are just life-ers.
Now to that coaching ‘pool’, add Billy Burke. I am sure in the OHL news travels fast, because it doesn’t have as far to go There’s only 19 other teams.
I used to complain, foolishly, about Williamson getting out-coached. How bad do you think the Burke Boys are getting schooled these past few years??
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,886 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Good point, even though we will probably never see it.
I have written about this scenario in the past.
How do you have a family Christmas after you have just fired your brother or son and still have a quality Xmas family get together?

Now, If I were the GM, and not related, considering last year's team, with improved goaltending, the current head coach just might not be here this season, but, that is just my thoughts'

Hmmmm..
Take the opposite view currently... "So Billy, how did you make out with that great team I built for you last year... what do you mean second round exit... Mom! Dad! Billy's breaking my toys!"

The repercussions go both ways. I imagine Billy will have to do some groveling at the table this Christmas.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post: