Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,451    Downloads: 1,215,870   Msgs Posted: 122,210   Thread Views: 21,784,064   Online Now: 94
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Are Thomas and Castleman the real deal?
Yes they are both that good - we drafted well. 15 57.69%
Thomas is the real deal Castleman is a fluke. 4 15.38%
Circumstances make them look better than they are. 5 19.23%
Good question it is impossible to tell (or who cares). 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,557 Times in 858 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Apples to apples, Castleman is 17 and Thomas is 16. Yes, they're both rookies, but this is is Castleman's NHL draft year. I'm not sure he'll get drafted. I wouldn't call Castleman a "fluke" nor "that good". If he was a real 16 year old rookie, it would be a different story.

Thomas is the real deal.

Castleman didn't impress me in camp and I was surprised he made the team. He's been better than I expected. I'd be super excited if he was 16 yo too.

I can't imagine he gets drafted .

I can't wait to see Thomas next season. Another year older and another off season to get stronger. If all goes well he could have a special year next year *fingerscrossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Team Captain

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Looking at the top 25 rookie scoring leaders throughout the OHL.

There are only 9 true 16 year old rookies (2000 born) in the top 25 of rookie scoring. (the rest are 1999's)

Out of those nine, there is only one player that has a positive +/- rating. Allan McShane who was on the first place Erie Otters that traded him to the first place Oshawa Generals. Stands to reason that playing on contenders is going to help with the plus/minus.

Every other 16 year old (2000 born) in the top 25 in rookie scoring has a minus +/- rating.

I'll take Thomas and his hopefully 25 goals and work on his defence.

Thanks for doing all the hard work research for me ...

Old 02-07-2017, 11:30 PM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

If he stay s healthy Thomas is going to be a star in this league
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM
1st Line

Red has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud ofRed has much to be proud of

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Castleman played on the top line and Thomas slugged it out on the second or third what would happen to each of their stats. It is never going to happen because Thomas is the star and Castleman is the surprise but it is an interesting debate about nature versus nurture. There is no doubt about it that Thomas has more natural talent than Castleman and that he is flashier, but he also receives far greater consideration than his rookie competitor. The plus/minus rating is a bit troubling when you compare the two and there is a significant deficit that Thomas will have to overcome to be that 200' star people expect him to be.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,064 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
It would be interesting to see what would happen if Castleman played on the top line and Thomas slugged it out on the second or third what would happen to each of their stats. It is never going to happen because Thomas is the star and Castleman is the surprise but it is an interesting debate about nature versus nurture. There is no doubt about it that Thomas has more natural talent than Castleman and that he is flashier, but he also receives far greater consideration than his rookie competitor. The plus/minus rating is a bit troubling when you compare the two and there is a significant deficit that Thomas will have to overcome to be that 200' star people expect him to be.
What is the "top line" on this team? Is there some superstar line-mates that he has played with all season that I have missed? Where is all the extra ice time people speak of? Bell has rolled 4 lines all year. Power-play time? Great! Not sure he's padding his stats on the second worst power-play in the league.

The lines are getting juggled from week to week, not sure which line is considerd the "top line". Last night Thomas line-mates were Machala and Langdon. While Castleman was with Brack and Maskimov.... who has the better line-mates?

I think whatever line Thomas gets put on could be considered the "top line" because he is on it, not the other way around. But, for arguments sake, Thomas was listed on the third line last night while Castleman was on the second.

Last edited by fishfan51; 02-08-2017 at 01:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
What is the "top line" on this team? Is there some superstar line-mates that he has played with all season that I have missed? Where is all the extra ice time people speak of? Bell has rolled 4 lines all year. Power-play time? Great! Not sure he's padding his stats on the second worst power-play in the league.

The lines are getting juggled from week to week, not sure which line is considerd the "top line". Last night Thomas line-mates were Machala and Langdon. While Castleman was with Brack and Maskimov.... who has the better line-mates?

I think whatever line Thomas gets put on could be considered the "top line" because he is on it, not the other way around. But, for arguments sake, Thomas was listed on the third line last night while Castleman was on the second.

BOOM!

Wonder what people would be saying if Niagara had picked someone else in the draft, and they weren't putting up numbers like Thomas, and if Thomas went somewhere in the draft after Niagaras pick, and he put up the same numbers he's doing now . Lol

Pretty sure I know what that conversation would be like.

Defensive deficiencies aside, I for one am glad that Thomas is not Brook Hiddink 2.0. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 03:43 PM
1st Line

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And props to Bell for rolling four lines, and mixing things up all season. Can't find it now, but either in a newspaper article, or on a game broadcast Mantha said Bell was the best coach he's ever played for.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 PM
3rd Line

modaymorninggm is a glorious beacon of lightmodaymorninggm is a glorious beacon of lightmodaymorninggm is a glorious beacon of lightmodaymorninggm is a glorious beacon of lightmodaymorninggm is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting to compare Thomas and Castleman stats wise. The plus-minus is an obvious one but Thomas leads by 4 points. If you eliminate power play points Castleman leads 27 points to 24 points. One was picked 12th overall and the other I believe 78th over all. Regardless it looks like our scouts did a good job on both selections. Hopefully they will continue that trend this year. I think we are seeing that our picks are pretty good now that they get a chance to play
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modaymorninggm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
Interesting to compare Thomas and Castleman stats wise. The plus-minus is an obvious one but Thomas leads by 4 points. If you eliminate power play points Castleman leads 27 points to 24 points. One was picked 12th overall and the other I believe 78th over all. Regardless it looks like our scouts did a good job on both selections. Hopefully they will continue that trend this year. I think we are seeing that our picks are pretty good now that they get a chance to play
The scouts did a great job with Castleman and Philip too actually. Thomas was a slam dunk, I could have scouted him, but finding those other two took talent. The futures so bright I gotta wear shades
Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 PM
2nd Line

Newdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
The scouts did a great job with Castleman and Philip too actually. Thomas was a slam dunk, I could have scouted him, but finding those other two took talent. The futures so bright I gotta wear shades
I agree. If we project forward 2 years and consider what our bunch of 99s and 2000s will look like at that stage in their careers, with the amount of ice-time they will have obtained by then, we will have a very strong bunch of forwards. The issue is going to be defence. We are a small team. If you think about the 6 D we had last year when we made a run for it we had 4 big guys over 6'3 (Mantha; Haydon; Miku; Wesley) and the "small guys" were 6' (Dunn) and 6'1" (Siebs).

Looking forward we have:
1999: Hunter (6'2"); Ham & Somerville (5'10")
2000: MacPherson (6'1")
If they come back as overagers: Lochead (5'11") & Schaefer (5'9")

In the draft (Europe or OHL) we need some big, solid D, ideally this year to give them a year experience for a push in 2018/19 season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post: