Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,118    Downloads: 826,388   Msgs Posted: 110,484   Thread Views: 16,325,719   Online Now: 83
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

Our team will finish the season somewhere between 4th and 8th place.
I predicted we would finish 5th and we will sit pat and play the hand we have.
This is not their year to go for it and I am actually not so sure that next year will be the year as well.
Time will tell on the players and their development.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,465 Times in 681 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
I don't see the Ice Dogs as buyers or sellers this year, except picking up scraps at the overage or international yard sale to keep us in the playoffs.
That is the best possible move! Hang on tight to everything they have.

Most of the parts needed to be a very good team are in place for next year. Assuming Dhillon is back for his OA year, the Ice Dogs will need to acquire 2 elite OA (98s), 1 very good import - and make a trade deadline deal that addresses a need in 2019.

With a few quality OA pickups, the Ice Dog top 6 forwards would become two excellent lines.
Jones Tomasino - elite OA/Import
Thomas Maksimov elite OA

As a bottom 6, this group of forwards would give the Ice Dogs a lot of speed and skill on their 3rd and 4th lines.
Phillips, Castleman, Singer, Machala, Johnson, Martin, Bruder.

Niagara will likely have to use a 2000 (e.g., Bruder or Martin) to acquire a high-end 98 OA (e.g., Chris Paquette, Adam Timleck, Adam Rymsha, Will Bitten, Tim Gettinger) and then use draft picks to acquire an un-drafted OA. (e.g. Brandon Saigeon or Kyle Maksimovich).
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2017, 07:21 PM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
That is the best possible move! Hang on tight to everything they have.

Most of the parts needed to be a very good team are in place for next year. Assuming Dhillon is back for his OA year, the Ice Dogs will need to acquire 2 elite OA (98s), 1 very good import - and make a trade deadline deal that addresses a need in 2019.

With a few quality OA pickups, the Ice Dog top 6 forwards would become two excellent lines.
Jones Tomasino - elite OA/Import
Thomas Maksimov elite OA

As a bottom 6, this group of forwards would give the Ice Dogs a lot of speed and skill on their 3rd and 4th lines.
Phillips, Castleman, Singer, Machala, Johnson, Martin, Bruder.

Niagara will likely have to use a 2000 (e.g., Bruder or Martin) to acquire a high-end 98 OA (e.g., Chris Paquette, Adam Timleck, Adam Rymsha, Will Bitten, Tim Gettinger) and then use draft picks to acquire an un-drafted OA. (e.g. Brandon Saigeon or Kyle Maksimovich).
My thoughts...

a) I would not put Thomas and Maksimov on the same line - both think "shoot first" rather than "pass". Nothing wrong with that - as long as you don't have too many of them or they play on the same line!
b) I would put Thomas back on the wing.
c) I am not so worried about our F depth next year if we go for it, I think we need quality D that are (a) big and mean; (b) can move the puck and hit our fast moving forwards with a tape-to-tape pass that they get rather than ends up as an icing.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am not so worried about our F depth next year if we go for it, I think we need quality D that are (a) big and mean; (b) can move the puck and hit our fast moving forwards with a tape-to-tape pass that they get rather than ends up as an icing.

The above about our D has been my thoughts that I have shared here for a long time. Big, mean and good skater is a plus.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,111 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdawgsfan View Post
b) I would put Thomas back on the wing.
Hasn't done quite as well in the scoring department since he took on that role has he?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Big League

Playing centre is a whole different animal than playing the wing as the centre has far more responsibilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM
2nd Line

Red is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Playing centre is a whole different animal than playing the wing as the centre has far more responsibilities.
I agree, he is a winger right now.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,465 Times in 681 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

I’m not saying Akil Thomas is not better suited to the wing, just that it maybe way too early to make a final evaluation on Thomas as a centre.

He is currently on pace to reach 77 points, after only playing 16 OHL games in his new position - not really an adequate sample size to make a definitive conclusion either way. Wait and see what the next 20-25 games looks like.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

Maybe too much too fast and with Corneil out of the lineup that had to have an impact.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,305 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

McLeod activated by Jersey and returned to Mississauga. Have to think the Dogs are at best 3rd in their division now and Sudbury's got their number.

Last edited by hockey123; 11-15-2017 at 03:21 PM.