Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,118    Downloads: 826,388   Msgs Posted: 110,484   Thread Views: 16,325,615   Online Now: 78
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,465 Times in 681 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Michael McLeod underwent surgery for a torn meniscus in his left knee on Thursday.

The operation was a success and McLeod is expected to recover in four-to-six weeks. He sustained the injury during the preseason and consequently began the campaign on the injured reserve list. Once he's healthy enough to play he will probably be returned to the OHL to continue his development.

Owen Tippett was a healthy scratch in Thursday's game against the St. Louis Blues.

Tippett was the 10th overall pick in last June's NHL Entry Draft. He had a terrific training camp, which led to Florida keeping him. The 18-year-old still hasn't gotten into lineup though. That could indicate that they're getting ready to send him back to junior in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Owen Tippett soaking up NHL culture while waiting to make Panthers debut
By Craig Davis

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...013-story.html

With the Panthers scoring 13 goals, a club record for the first three games of a season, and everyone healthy, coach Bob Boughner said he doesn’t want to disrupt what’s working.

I don’t see any reason to change right now,” Boughner said. “I want to get him in there as soon as possible. But you’ve got to gauge how the team is playing and how each individual is playing. We’ve played pretty well as a unit. He’ll get his crack. I still think he’s learning every day being in the NHL and in the practices and the video sessions and things like that.”

It’s not like Tippett is sitting idle. The intensity of every practice provides more of a challenge than he might get from another season as a dominant force in juniors.

There are also teaching moments about playing in the NHL and in the Panthers’ system that can only be gained by being with the team.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to all

Funny actually, the two worst teams at the bottom of the standings maybe the most difficult to play against soon.

Can you imagine both Jones and #44 both sticking with their NHL clubs next year? Good for them if they do, right?
Right????
Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
Funny actually, the two worst teams at the bottom of the standings maybe the most difficult to play against soon.

Can you imagine both Jones and #44 both sticking with their NHL clubs next year? Good for them if they do, right?
Right????
Not going to happen... From what I'm seeing so far this season, Jones is a minimum of 4 years from being ready, assuming he stays on his current development curve. He does a couple of things well, but he's got soooooo far to go. He's not going to be a 'direct to NHL' guy, my belief is that he will do at least a couple of years in the ECHL and AHL, before he gets much of a look. He's gotten bigger and stronger, and is doing much better in the faceoff circle, but make no mistake, he's got a laundry list of things to work on. I'm betting on a Jordan Maletta type of trajectory for young Mr Jones.

Thomas is definitely doing well for himself. However I don't see him making a jump immediately. He looks good, but he's still small, and not strong on the boards. I'd like to see him stand up for himself a bit more, maybe take a fight or two this season. And yes, IF he did make an NHL squad next year, he'd be missed, but I don't think it would wreck chances for a run.

I would be more concerned that Stephen Dhillon catches on with someone next season, and is offered a spot in the AHL. The IceDogs do NOT have a viable backup in place to take over. Incze has looked both amazing, and terrible this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,174 Times in 649 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post

Right????

Thought you were a knowledgeable hockey type.

If you think both Jones and Thomas could stick in the NHL next year ... then you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about lol

I too am more worried about losing Dhillon next year since we have nobody ready to take over for him at this point in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 AM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Not going to happen... From what I'm seeing so far this season, Jones is a minimum of 4 years from being ready, assuming he stays on his current development curve. He does a couple of things well, but he's got soooooo far to go. He's not going to be a 'direct to NHL' guy, my belief is that he will do at least a couple of years in the ECHL and AHL, before he gets much of a look. He's gotten bigger and stronger, and is doing much better in the faceoff circle, but make no mistake, he's got a laundry list of things to work on. I'm betting on a Jordan Maletta type of trajectory for young Mr Jones.

Thomas is definitely doing well for himself. However I don't see him making a jump immediately. He looks good, but he's still small, and not strong on the boards. I'd like to see him stand up for himself a bit more, maybe take a fight or two this season. And yes, IF he did make an NHL squad next year, he'd be missed, but I don't think it would wreck chances for a run.

I would be more concerned that Stephen Dhillon catches on with someone next season, and is offered a spot in the AHL. The IceDogs do NOT have a viable backup in place to take over. Incze has looked both amazing, and terrible this season.
Interesting stats here: http://www.quanthockey.com/Distribut...stribution.php

Typical rookie age to make a debut for a forward is now 21-22. Was younger in previous years, but since 2000 the average age has been getting older, so none of the players on the Dogs who are currently drafted should be looking to stay with an NHL team, and looking at their development and game to date that should not be a surprise. Under Marty development was not a strong point for the team. Jones in his 1st year played 4th line only and had maybe 5 mins ice per night. Very different since Marty left and now the rookies are seeing major ice-time and benefiting hugely from it. So yes, Jones is at least 4 years away from making it to an NHL team statistically. Thomas maybe less given his trajectory. But neither may ever make it.

Looking at that same site it is also interesting to note that the mean retirement age for a forward in the modern game is 24-25! That would mean that after their 3 years entry-level contract that most only get 1-2 year max of a contract. These kids need to remember to keep up with the school-work and that there is a lot of life left when hockey ends!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to all

Bad boy Hayden McCool heads to the Gens
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinkyp3t3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 12:09 PM
2nd Line

Red is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post

If you think both Jones and Thomas could stick in the NHL next year ... then you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about lol

I too am more worried about losing Dhillon next year since we have nobody ready to take over for him at this point in time

Stinky only sees things through green lenses. London will throw their massive draft pick reserve at their current standings and miraculously recruit players who are off the radar. Niagara will draft and develop them.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post

Thomas is predicted to be a first round draft pick. Some have even said he will be a top 15 pick. So, depending on how he develops this season, he could have an outside shot of sticking with his NHL team next season. How can you say with 100% confidence that he has no chance of playing in the NHL next season when we have no idea how good he will be a year from now.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
Thomas is predicted to be a first round draft pick. Some have even said he will be a top 15 pick. So, depending on how he develops this season, he could have an outside shot of sticking with his NHL team next season. How can you say with 100% confidence that he has no chance of playing in the NHL next season when we have no idea how good he will be a year from now.
You’re right - nothing is for sure!

However, if you look at last years’ draft only 4 players are still on an NHL roster (Tippett and Necas have played only 1 game) – and only the top 2 picks are playing regularly. So using those stats – there is about a 6.0% - 9.0% chance of sticking with an NHL team. It's definitely a longshot to make it!

1. NJD: Nico Hischier, C, Halifax
2. PHI: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon

3. DAL: Miro Heiskanen, D, HIFK
4. COL: Cale Makar, D, Brooks
5. VAN: Elias Pettersson, C, Timra
6. VGK: Cody Glass, C, Portland
7. NYR: Lias Andersson, C, HV71
8. BUF: Casey Mittelstadt, C, Eden Prairie
9. DET: Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City
10. FLA: Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga
11. LAK: Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor
12. CAR: Martin Necas, C, Brno
13. VGK: Nick Suzuki, C, Owen Sound
14. TBL: Callan Foote, D, Kelowna
15. VGK: Erik Brannstrom, D, HV71
16. CGY: Juuso Valimaki, D, Tri-City
17. TOR: Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle
18. BOS: Urho Vaakanainen, D, JYP
19. SJS: Joshua Norris, C, USA U-18
20. STL: Robert Thomas, C, London
21. NYR: Filip Chytil, C, Zlin
22. EDM: Kailer Yamamoto, RW, Spokane
23. ARI: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, Charlottetown
24. WPG: Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW, Frolunda
25. MTL: Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State
26. DAL: Jake Oettinger, G, Boston University
27. PHI: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie
28. OTT: Shane Bowers, C, Waterloo
29. CHI: Henri Jokiharju, D, Portland
30. NSH: Eeli Tolvanen, RW, Sioux City
31. STL: Klim Kostin, C/LW, Dynamo

Last edited by Blacksox; 10-18-2017 at 10:56 PM.