Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,627    Downloads: 1,382,823   Msgs Posted: 125,863   Thread Views: 23,433,761   Online Now: 121
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
1st Line
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 863
Thanks: 260
Thanked 338 Times in 219 Posts
Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
This x 1000. This is junior hockey. Time is the enemy for most junior players. Force the player with the puck and they'll cough it up more times than not. When Niagara has success on the PP it's because the other team sets up a box and the Dogs slowly move the puck around. When they're forced, they cough it up all the time and the crowd grows restless.

The teams strength is it's speed. USE IT! Use that as an example for the PK. Force the player with the puck and watch them cough it up.
I think we should listen to the other expert - patience is the answer. The IceDogs need to let the other team tire themselves out taking shots on Dhillon and then when they say it's our turn we skate in formation and try for a short-handed goal. Who needs a PK when we have jumbo1290's optimism?

Kudos to FF and ND for providing an actual analysis and a workable solution.
__________________
wE faLL iN LiNe, wE LiVe thE LiE - wAkE uP, wAkE uP aNd fEEd thE mAcHiNe
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Newdawgsfan's Avatar
Newdawgsfan Newdawgsfan is offline
2nd Line
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 374
Thanks: 174
Thanked 346 Times in 166 Posts
Newdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other members
Default

It is actually quite interesting looking at those PK stats for the entire OHL at http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats.../63/pkoverall/

a) The Dogs are 18th overall at 74.1% efficiency, with best being London at 91.1 and Flint the worse at 65.3.

b) The Dogs have been pretty good at keeping out of the box actually, being only the 15th most penalised with 108x being short handed (worst is Barrie at 147x and least is Kitchener at 93x).

c) We have only scored 2 short-handed goals (vs Sarnia at 12 and Sault at 11).

d) The really scary thing about London - of the 112x they have been penalised, they have only been scored on 10x and scored 7 goals short-handed - so their overall +/- on the PK is only -3!! Compare that with the Dogs - 108 penalties, given up 28 and scored 2 short handed - a difference of -26. Come any sort of playoff (if we win the East and they win the West) - that stat is gonna kill ya.

Sounds to me like the Coaches need to watch the PK units of London, Sault and Sarnia and see what they are doing!

Interesting also looking at the PP overall stats at http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats.../63/ppoverall/

Dogs are 8th at 23.2% efficiency (impressive considering how bad they were at the start of the season). Top is North Bay at 28.7 and worst is Flint at 12.8. London ranks only 17th at 15.7%, which surprises me.

So on Friday we need to maybe not sorry so much against London about the Dogs giving up PP chances, and hope they give us plenty of PP opportunities (but we will be without Robertson).

If you look at both stats (PK and PP efficiency), the best overall is - surprisingly - North Bay, who are 1st in PP and 7th in PK. Dogs are 18th and 8th. NB vs Dogs - 28.7 vs 23.3 for PP and 81.5 vs 74.1.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 3,292
Thanks: 2,235
Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,035 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdawgsfan View Post
It is actually quite interesting looking at those PK stats for the entire OHL at http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats.../63/pkoverall/

a) The Dogs are 18th overall at 74.1% efficiency, with best being London at 91.1 and Flint the worse at 65.3.

b) The Dogs have been pretty good at keeping out of the box actually, being only the 15th most penalised with 108x being short handed (worst is Barrie at 147x and least is Kitchener at 93x).

c) We have only scored 2 short-handed goals (vs Sarnia at 12 and Sault at 11).

d) The really scary thing about London - of the 112x they have been penalised, they have only been scored on 10x and scored 7 goals short-handed - so their overall +/- on the PK is only -3!! Compare that with the Dogs - 108 penalties, given up 28 and scored 2 short handed - a difference of -26. Come any sort of playoff (if we win the East and they win the West) - that stat is gonna kill ya.

Sounds to me like the Coaches need to watch the PK units of London, Sault and Sarnia and see what they are doing!

Interesting also looking at the PP overall stats at http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats.../63/ppoverall/

Dogs are 8th at 23.2% efficiency (impressive considering how bad they were at the start of the season). Top is North Bay at 28.7 and worst is Flint at 12.8. London ranks only 17th at 15.7%, which surprises me.

So on Friday we need to maybe not sorry so much against London about the Dogs giving up PP chances, and hope they give us plenty of PP opportunities (but we will be without Robertson).

If you look at both stats (PK and PP efficiency), the best overall is - surprisingly - North Bay, who are 1st in PP and 7th in PK. Dogs are 18th and 8th. NB vs Dogs - 28.7 vs 23.3 for PP and 81.5 vs 74.1.
And London will be missing more players than us, so, they need to bare down and get the job done.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Blacksox's Avatar
Blacksox Blacksox is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,668
Thanks: 1,120
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,315 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

This statistic isolates the IceDogs’ major problem this season - the PK (#17). The 58 goals allowed on the PK, are the second most goals allowed by an OHL team. Only Flint has conceded more PK goals than the IceDogs.

Defensively (goaltending included) the IceDogs have been extremely effective in keeping the puck out of their net during 5 on 5 hockey.

OHL 5 v 5 STATS (As of Feb 20)
TEAM GP GA GAA
1 Ottawa 58 - 96 - 1.65
2 Niagara 56 - 107 - 1.91
3 Sudbury 56 - 118 - 2.10
4 Oshawa 58 - 133 - 2.29
5 Barrie 56 - 133 - 2.30
6 London 56 - 133 - 2.37
7 SSM 56 - 142 - 2.53
8 Saginaw 56 - 144 - 2.57
9 Guelph 56 - 145 - 2.58
10 Mississauga 57 - 155 - 2.71


***

Last edited by Blacksox; 02-21-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:03 AM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 3,292
Thanks: 2,235
Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,035 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Not to highjack this thread, but, I am thinking of making up a large sign for games which would read, "No Powerplays for Niagara!!"

Our boys give up way too many shorties.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Blacksox's Avatar
Blacksox Blacksox is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,668
Thanks: 1,120
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,315 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Not to highjack this thread, but, I am thinking of making up a large sign for games which would read, "No Powerplays for Niagara!!"

Our boys give up way too many shorties.
Come on RSJ, PP is another thread . That problem I feel will get corrected, but this stat really highlights their most glaring weakness. If they can fix the PK, statistically they are one of the better 5 on 5 (and PP) teams in the OHL.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:15 AM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 3,292
Thanks: 2,235
Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,035 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Come on RSJ, PP is another thread . That problem I feel will get corrected, but this stat really highlights their most glaring weakness. If they can fix the PK, statistically they are one of the better 5 on 5 (and PP) teams in the OHL.
The problem will get corrected ???????????????????????????????????????

Our beloved team has played 56 games so far.
Our Powerplay and Penaltykill both suck big team.
They will not get corrected. If it would have been fixed by now.

Our power play units are too busy trying for highlight reel goals and our penality kill units are only concerned about scoring shorties.
Over and out...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Blacksox's Avatar
Blacksox Blacksox is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,668
Thanks: 1,120
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,315 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
The problem will get corrected ???????????????????????????????????????

Our beloved team has played 56 games so far.
Our Powerplay and Penaltykill both suck big team.
They will not get corrected. If it would have been fixed by now.

Our power play units are too busy trying for highlight reel goals and our penality kill units are only concerned about scoring shorties.
Over and out...

IceDogs need to fix the PK - pressure the puck carrier in the defensive zone, standup the opposition at the blue line, skate harder to take away passing and shooting lanes, active sticks, pressure the puck, block shots and win the faceoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 AM
retired/sectionJ's Avatar
retired/sectionJ retired/sectionJ is online now
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Welland
Posts: 3,292
Thanks: 2,235
Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,035 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
IceDogs need to fix the PK - pressure the puck carrier in the defensive zone, standup the opposition at the blue line, skate harder to take away passing and shooting lanes, active sticks, pressure the puck, block shots and win the faceoffs.
Not to repeat ourselves but, 56 games have been played in the same manner and nothing much has changed.

Unless the players decide to make changes for the playoffs as the 2016 team did after their players only meeting, nothing will change.
Sorry.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Blacksox's Avatar
Blacksox Blacksox is offline
Big League
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,668
Thanks: 1,120
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,315 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Not to repeat ourselves but, 56 games have been played in the same manner and nothing much has changed.

Unless the players decide to make changes for the playoffs as the 2016 team did after their players only meeting, nothing will change.
Sorry.
I agree! You see it in all league and in all sports when the playoffs start. The game and the attitude changes - players know the end is in sight and they skate a little harder, focus a little better and are willing to take one for the team a little more often. It's not at all surprising when it happens because it happens every year in sports!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2015