Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,078    Downloads: 815,437   Msgs Posted: 108,935   Thread Views: 15,817,119   Online Now: 51
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of
Default IceDogs Report Card

Interesting assessment of our forwards by Matt & DJ: https://www.icedogsthisweek.com/sing...rt-Card-Part-1

What do people think?

Johnny Corneil: Corneil took a huge step forward this year, posting a 62 point season and erasing the doubts of many hockey pundits who believed his 40 point season the year before was a direct result of playing with Josh Ho-Sang. Johnny needed to be good as one of the few returning offensive forwards this year and he certainly was. Corneil will look to build on this season as an overage player next year and has to be the odds-on favorite to be the next Niagara Captain. Grade: A-

Ben Jones: After spending his entire rookie campaign on the fourth line, Ben Jones saw a huge jump in ice time this season thanks to a November trade of Graham Knott to the Windsor Spitfires. While many considered it a risk to make Jones the top line center at the time, the IceDogs management team clearly knew something the rest of the world didn’t know. Jones elevated his play after joining a line with Corneil and rookie Akil Thomas and looked good in the process, finishing the year with 50 points in 63 games played. Jones was forced to match-up against the oppositions’ best centers on a nightly basis and showed why he was taken as a top 10 pick in 2015. Jones will be back centering the top line once again next year and looks to exceed a point per game threshold. Grade: B+

Akil Thomas: The charismatic Thomas went 12th overall in 2016 but showed the world that the scouting community may have missed on him this year. Thomas saw top line duty with Jones and Corneil and set club records as a rookie. The next step for the dynamic forward will be to get stronger over the center as it appeared at times throughout the year that he was labouring through some of the tougher parts of the schedule. Overall it’s hard to complain about his rookie season and he may yet win the Rookie of the Year award. Grade: B+

Oliver Castleman: While Castleman was taken a year older than most in the 2016 OHL Priority Selection Draft class, the native of Gloucester, Ontario made the most of the opportunity he was given in Niagara. Castleman finished seventh in rookie scoring with 40 points and played a top six role for the majority of the season, while also seeing time on the penalty kill. The future is bright here and Castleman will be fun to watch next season. Grade: B

Kirill Maksimov: Maksimov arrived in Niagara at the trade deadline and thrived on the IceDogs’ top powerplay unit. Maksimov had 22 points in 29 games in Niagara and really seemed to take his game to another level with the added responsibility. Kirill thrilled the Meridian Centre crowds with back-to-back hat tricks this year and should be in line for 30 goals next season. When you consider he also came with two draft picks, this trade is looking mighty fine for IceDogs Director of Player Personnel Joey Burke. Grade: B

Danial Singer: The diminutive local product had 27 points in 65 games, and looked the part of a solid winger in the league as the club goes forward. The talent is there but he will be in tough to move up in the lineup next season with the IceDogs looking very deep on the wing going into the 2017-18 season. Grade: B-

Kyle Langdon: Langdon is perhaps one of the hardest working players in the league and literally scraps for everything he gets. While not a big guy, the forward chipped in with 26 points while leading the team in penalty minutes. The gritty Langdon is also the club’s best penalty killer and his absence was noticeable when he was out of the lineup serving a suspension. Langdon will be a big part of the team going forward as he will be responsible for leading the penalty kill once again. Grade: B-

Ondrej Machala: The European import had 25 points in 56 games in his first North American season. The winger showed flashes of brilliance but was also struck with bouts of play where he was often invisible in games. The majority of those games took place before Christmas and he did enough to make people take notice that he could have a greater impact going forward. Grade: C

Justin Brack: Brack arrived in Niagara at the trade deadline and served as a great mentor for the IceDogs’ younger players. The Orangeville, Ontario resident moved back to his natural position at center in Niagara and had 15 points in 27 games playing for Head Coach Dave Bell. While a university hockey career awaits Brack, the fact that he was able to show the younger guys how to play the right away will leave a lasting impression on the organization. Grade: B-

Matthew Philip: Philip was in the midst of a surprising rookie season before a shoulder injury ended his year prematurely. Philip has a great set of wheels and can get up and down the ice with the best of them in the league. His 21 points in 45 games were impressive, as was his ability to spend time as a rookie on the penalty kill. Philip has an opportunity to be a top-six forward on this club going forward and should be entertaining to watch as he takes the next steps in his development next year. Grade: C+

Pavel Demin: The Russian forward had a tough time adapting to North American hockey this year. Demin arrived in Niagara with little ability to speak and understand English, so he had to adapt to that as well as the smaller ice surface this year. By late 2016 Demin was relegated to fourth line duty and could never truly make the impact the organization had hoped he would when they selected him in the Import Draft Grade: D

Joshua Dame: The energy forward finally cracked the IceDogs roster in his third attempt, but was also relegated to fourth line duty most of the year. Dame was only able to post seven points in 61 games but there wasn’t a member of the organization or fan base that could complain about the effort Dame gave every night. Grade: D+

Bradey Johnson: Johnson played 35 games for the IceDogs this season, registering only four points in the process. Much like Demin and Dame, Johnson often found himself on the fourth line but was the first of the group to move into the top nine when the team needed it. It’s truly hard to grade Johnson for this season given the ice time he received and the fact he had to step in halfway through the season. Grade: No grade given
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Top Prospect

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not to stir the pot too badly but, I thought that their grading of Jones was extremely generous, but, that is just me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,320 Times in 603 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Personally I won't waste my time overmuch on Matt and DJ's public access empire. So I can't join in the 'piling on' that is likely to occur after this comment, full of 'me too's' and 'I see what you're saying.'

My only major issue with them is their utter lack of ability to gather, and disseminate information outside of the everyday softballs. The avoidance of tough questions, the 'chumminess' with the team are irksome to me. There is no sticking a camera in the face of the coach after a tough loss and asking him 'What went wrong?' and then following up with insightful question regarding the lack of power play or 5 on 5 scoring by the top guys on the team. Or asking what he feels they can do to improve in the next game. Or showing up at practice and talking to the team about what they're working on ( in general terms ).

For an example :
Doing some b-roll of the team practicing and asking our GM sorry, Director of Player Development or whatever the heck he's being called, his thoughts about the development of Player X playing in city Y. As a for instance. So how is the development of Andrew Somerville, and Pierre-Luc Forget going in Fort Erie under Coach Hubbert? As the team knew at that point that they would be in trouble on D come next season. Would have been nice to hear a bit of news about our puppies.
Keep in mind - that for Matt and DJ covering the Ice Dogs is something they do on the side because they are Ice Dogs superfans. Both Matt and DJ have regular day jobs beyond Ice Dogs this Week.

I would think that being a little more aggressive with their questions would quickly find them on the outside looking in. Pehaps, the fan base is laying the blame for these un-asked questions on the wrong people.

Those questions should be asked by the paid reporters whose full time job is to “gather, and disseminate information outside of the everyday softballs”. I agree with you on that! It would be refreshing and re-assuring to hear answers to those questions about the PK, PP, 5 on 5, defensive zone coverage, etc…

Just FYI. I did email Matt and DJ a story idea - where the Ice Dogs are in terms of the development, status and the possibility of seeing some of these Ice Dog prospects in camp next year. They thanked me for the idea! Perhaps, we will see something put together on their website in the near future.

Here are some of the names I suggested to them – that would be of interest to Ice Dogs fans!

ICE DOGS TOP USA PROSPECTS of great interest!!!
00 Adam Steinwold
00 Jack Randl
00 Brady Smith
99 Joshua Norris

ICE DOGS TOP PROSPECTS of interest!!
00 Joel Mazzilli
00 Pierre-Luc Cote Forget
00 Lucas Theriault
00 Zach Borgiel

Other 2000s of some INTEREST ???
7th Rnd - 136: Joe Roy
12th Rnd - 233: Robbie Cranston
13th Rnd - 253: Roman Semin
15th Rnd - 293: Justin King

Other 1999s of some INTEREST ???
Cameron Bisson
Mitchell Crevatin D
Hunter Canestra F (R)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 PM

Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,051 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Not to stir the pot too badly but, I thought that their grading of Jones was extremely generous, but, that is just me.
I agree, he got plenty of ice time but started and ended the season at essentially the same level. Perhaps he is one of those players who gets better in the off season and when we see him next in September we will be amazed?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I agree, he got plenty of ice time but started and ended the season at essentially the same level. Perhaps he is one of those players who gets better in the off season and when we see him next in September we will be amazed?
Jones was third in points on the team. The only players with more points was 20 year old Mantha and 19 year old Corneil. I'm not sure why some of you are down on Jones. I thought he had a decent season.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
Jones was third in points on the team. The only players with more points was 20 year old Mantha and 19 year old Corneil. I'm not sure why some of you are down on Jones. I thought he had a decent season.
More to playing hockey than obtaining points. I personally think he could do so much better. I think he avoids 'getting dirty' and plays a little soft for the size he is. He could be power forward, but, doesn't seem to want to get his body in the spots where it's going to hurt.

Needs some FO help. Lacked certain PO determination and is lack of points in the PO's would indicate, if you are purely looking at points.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,284 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
He was drafted 7th overall and I'd be shocked if he gets drafted in the NHL draft. He was okay this year, but a B+ grade for a guy picked that high that is an afterthought in the NHL draft is far too high. C would seem like the appropriate grade. Not a fail but needs work. If he gets stronger and works on his skating he'll be a difference maker next year.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

I was not down on Jones when I shared my thoughts on his grading. Merely suggested that it might have been a little high of a grade for him at B+.
B or B- would have been my grading of him.

Not down on him. once again.
If he improves next season, we will re-evaluate the grade...
Old 04-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
He was drafted 7th overall and I'd be shocked if he gets drafted in the NHL draft. He was okay this year, but a B+ grade for a guy picked that high that is an afterthought in the NHL draft is far too high. C would seem like the appropriate grade. Not a fail but needs work. If he gets stronger and works on his skating he'll be a difference maker next year.
He just proves how much of a crapshoot the draft in when you are talking our 15 turning 16 year olds. As for the NHL draft I don't know how much of a afterthought he actually is
Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
For me, he went from 9 points last season to 50 points this season so that is a huge improvement. He also played on the PK at times so his defensive play improved as well. But if your grading some players harder based upon where they were drafted, then Thomas is an A+.