Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,420    Downloads: 1,186,645   Msgs Posted: 121,040   Thread Views: 21,294,421   Online Now: 86
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
1st Line

rabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud ofrabiddogfan has much to be proud of

Who cares ...the way the Eastern division is this year 8th place could knock of 1st place...throw your stats out the window and enjoy the ride while you can....the Dogs should not take anyone lightly and that includes Erie tomorrow night.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
3rd Line

Komp is a jewel in the roughKomp is a jewel in the roughKomp is a jewel in the rough

Than you Rabbid.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,360 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
What is the head to head record between Eastern Conference teams and Western Conference teams? That will tell you who is better. Just because a Conference is balanced doesn't mean it's better. It could simply mean it's filled with more mediocre teams.
Dunno where you guys got thinking I ever said the West wasn't better.

I just said it's not as evenly balanced as it is in the East. There's a bigger difference between the top teams and the mid-to-bottom teams. The top teams in the West are much better than the teams below them, thus, are racking up more points due to the fact they play those teams more often. In the East, the teams are more evenly balanced, especially in our division. Thus, we're less likely to win every single night against the teams below us. (didn't I already say all this?)

I'll try and simplify the point I'm trying to get across:

Say you have 100 skill points to spread across 10 teams. 5 teams in the east, 5 teams in the west. Tell you what, you say the West is better so say the East has 100 skill points, the West has 200.

East:
Team 1 has skill of 23
Team 2 has skill of 22
Team 3 has skill of 20
Team 4 has skill of 20
Team 5 has skill of 15

West:
Team 1 has skill of 66
Team 2 has skill of 60
Team 3 has skill of 28
Team 4 has skill of 26
Team 5 has skill of 20

The top teams in the east in that example will be more likely to lose to the teams below them than the top teams of the West would be likely to lose against the teams below them.

I didn't really think it needed to be explained laid out all long like that, as it was a simple point I was trying to make.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

ok ok I thought of different words to make my point more easily understood:

You can't say who's the best in the league simply by looking at points, because the two conferences are to a large degree unrelated: the two conferences play entirely different groups of teams throughout the year.

The top team of the East is playing different teams to get their point total, than the west is to get theirs.

True, this year London MAY be the better team. But my point is that point totals between teams in different conferences can't be used to say who's the best in the league.

Aaahh screw it If it wasn't understood the first time there's no use in me explaining it any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,047 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
Dunno where you guys got thinking I ever said the West wasn't better.

I just said it's not as evenly balanced as it is in the East. There's a bigger difference between the top teams and the mid-to-bottom teams. The top teams in the West are much better than the teams below them, thus, are racking up more points due to the fact they play those teams more often. In the East, the teams are more evenly balanced, especially in our division. Thus, we're less likely to win every single night against the teams below us. (didn't I already say all this?)

I'll try and simplify the point I'm trying to get across:

Say you have 100 skill points to spread across 10 teams. 5 teams in the east, 5 teams in the west. Tell you what, you say the West is better so say the East has 100 skill points, the West has 200.

East:
Team 1 has skill of 23
Team 2 has skill of 22
Team 3 has skill of 20
Team 4 has skill of 20
Team 5 has skill of 15

West:
Team 1 has skill of 66
Team 2 has skill of 60
Team 3 has skill of 28
Team 4 has skill of 26
Team 5 has skill of 20

The top teams in the east in that example will be more likely to lose to the teams below them than the top teams of the West would be likely to lose against the teams below them.

I didn't really think it needed to be explained laid out all long like that, as it was a simple point I was trying to make.

When you say... "that the only reason that London and Kitchener have so many points is because the teams they play are crap". And that that they would have 15 points less if they switched spots with the Dogs (in the East). Of course people are going to think you are suggesting the East is stronger then the West.

Last edited by fishfan51; 02-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
SysOp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
When you say... "that the only reason that London and Kitchener have so many points is because the teams they play are crap". And that that they would have 15 points less if they switched spots with the Dogs (in the East). Of course people are going to think you are suggesting the East is stronger then the West.
Sorry... I should have mean "crap compared to London" and by switching I meant if they were in a conference where there was as much close competition.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post: