Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,801    Downloads: 2,104,628   Msgs Posted: 135,065   Thread Views: 35,085,094   Online Now: 140
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:17 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,329 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Some interesting and valid points written in this article...

The columnist wrote, “At what point does it become meaningless?”

The 20-21 season is already past meaningless in terms of deciding an OHL champion. At this point, any type of OHL championship would not be truly legitimate. It’s pointless to attempt that, but that shouldn't be the OHL's primary goal anyways.

The columnist also wrote,"Yet, with the province now in a state of emergency with a stay-at-home order in effect, cases rising, schools closed, data models now pointing to 5,000 cases a day in Ontario..,"

His statistics are inaccurate – Ontario peaked in the 4000s and has steadily decreased during this current lockdown. In fact, today the number have dropped to 1913 new cases.

Ontario is moving towards this lockdown being lifted by late February at the latest - allowing the OHL to go ahead with their return to play plans in March or April. Unfortunately, it will be nothing more than a series of exhibition games (20-24) against 4 other teams – followed by a short turn around to officially drop the puck on the 21-22 OHL season.

Selfishly, as an IceDog fan, that serves this young group well, however, these games will also serve the greater good of the OHL:
1. Player development league-wide.
2. Scouting of draft eligible players.

As Giancarlo Chanton mentioned in his recent interview with Rod Mawhood - OHL scouted games is essential for those players beyond the first two rounds of the draft. OHL is currently making plans to do exactly that once the lockdown is lifted.

Ontario reports fewer than 2,000 new COVID-19 cases, cites technical issue in Toronto

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...onto-1.5272781

Although it would be nice to see a decline in cases, it's not accurate in this case. Also, ending the lockout and letting kids play hockey are two different animals.

I've been saying if it for months.... see you in September.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 PM
Junior Hockey Research Analyst

Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,941 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Ontario reports fewer than 2,000 new COVID-19 cases, cites technical issue in Toronto

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...onto-1.5272781

Although it would be nice to see a decline in cases, it's not accurate in this case. Also, ending the lockout and letting kids play hockey are two different animals.

I've been saying if it for months.... see you in September.
The point is being lost in the discrepancy in today’s Covid numbers. The columnist's number are still grossly inaccurate (5000 Covid case per day). Yes the number were off today, but by how much a few hundred? A thousand? According to that story you posted above... Case numbers were generally low across Ontario Tuesday, though the Ministry of Health said it is not aware of any other reporting issues in regions of the province, with the exception of Toronto.

I agree there will not be an actual OHL season (or fans) until September, but as soon as this lockdown is lifted, the OHL fully plans to play a series of games – for the reasons stated in my previous post.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:40 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
Thanks Blacksox but, it should be noted that the 1913 is most likely incorrect as there were technical issues in Toronto today, so, their number will most likely be higher.
Don't get me wrong though. I like today's number and hopefully , we see a downward trend.
I think the second wave peaked last week. Crossing my fingers and hoping its true. Also hoping that the horrid numbers in Niagara are really declining.

The point in the article is accurate in a way. If the numbers don't decline soon. The season is done.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:10 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,272 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Some interesting and valid points written in this article...

The columnist wrote, ?At what point does it become meaningless??

The 20-21 season is already past meaningless in terms of deciding an OHL champion. At this point, any type of OHL championship would not be truly legitimate. It?s pointless to attempt that, but that shouldn't be the OHL's primary goal anyways.

The columnist also wrote,"Yet, with the province now in a state of emergency with a stay-at-home order in effect, cases rising, schools closed, data models now pointing to 5,000 cases a day in Ontario..,"

His statistics are inaccurate ? Ontario peaked in the 4000s and has steadily decreased during this current lockdown. In fact, today the number have dropped to 1913 new cases.

Ontario is moving towards this lockdown being lifted by late February at the latest - allowing the OHL to go ahead with their return to play plans in March or April. Unfortunately, it will be nothing more than a series of exhibition games (20-24) against 4 other teams ? followed by a short turn around to officially drop the puck on the 21-22 OHL season.

Selfishly, as an IceDog fan, that serves this young group well, however, these games will also serve the greater good of the OHL:
1. Player development league-wide.
2. Scouting of draft eligible players.

As Giancarlo Chanton mentioned in his recent interview with Rod Mawhood - OHL scouted games is essential for those players beyond the first two rounds of the draft. OHL is currently making plans to do exactly that once the lockdown is lifted.

The author said that models showed the daily cases could reach 5,000 per day, not that actual cases were 5,000 per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 07:16 PM
Curmudgeon

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

It is looking to me, more and more likely that meaningful OHL hockey won?t return until September.

I?ve often thought they may try some sort of March Madness type of tournament to crown an OHL champion this year.

I?ll be quite honest if they do something like that I could care less if the Dogs managed to be crowned champion of something like that.

I am just hopeful that I will be sitting in a packed Meridian Centre come the end of September for an Icedogs home opener, but even that is looking less and less likely as the days turn to weeks and months and case counts higher than they were a year ago.

Stay safe out there!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 07:47 PM

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
The author said that models showed the daily cases could reach 5,000 per day, not that actual cases were 5,000 per day.

Still not accurate. He was using a model of inflated numbers to make his point for a non-return of OHL hockey in that column. The numbers never reached 5000 and the current model actually shows the numbers declining as a result of the provincial lockdown measures and the inevitability of the vaccine rollout.

As a result, some developmental games for 20-21, that will serve a purpose - and the return of a traditional OHL season in 21-22.

ONTARIO COVID NUMBERS (Past 6 days)
Jan 15 - 2,998
Jan 16 - 3,056
Jan 17 - 3,422
Jan 18 - 2,600
Jan 19 - 2,061
Jan 20 - 2,655

Last edited by Blacksox; 01-20-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Sure there may be some developmental games eventually sometime in 2021 .... but outside of the players and their families and friends, and NHL scouts, who is really going to care all that much ?

Old 01-20-2021, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Still not accurate. He was using a model of inflated numbers to make his point for a non-return of OHL hockey in that column. The numbers never reached 5000 and the current model actually shows the numbers declining as a result of the provincial lockdown measures and the inevitability of the vaccine rollout.

As a result, some developmental games for 20-21, that will serve a purpose - and the return of a traditional OHL season in 21-22.

ONTARIO COVID NUMBERS (Past 6 days)
Jan 15 - 2,998
Jan 16 - 3,056
Jan 17 - 3,422
Jan 18 - 2,600
Jan 19 - 2,061
Jan 20 - 2,655

Going in the right direction. Eventually the vaccines will knockdown the hospitalizations and deaths. Then we can really look at getting back towards normal.

The light at the end of the tunnel continues to brighten.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
Going in the right direction. Eventually the vaccines will knockdown the hospitalizations and deaths. Then we can really look at getting back towards normal.

The light at the end of the tunnel continues to brighten.
ONTARIO COVID NUMBERS
On Jan. 12, our province issued stay-at-home orders and enhanced enforcement measures…
Jan 15 - 2,998
Jan 16 - 3,056
Jan 17 - 3,422
Jan 18 - 2,600
Jan 19 - *2,061
Jan 20 - 2,655
Jan 21 - 2,632
Jan 22 - 2,359
Jan 23 - 2,416
Jan 24 - 1,958
Jan 25 - 1,740
…provincial lockdown measures extended until Feb. 9th.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:25 PM
Curmudgeon

Great to see declining numbers but numbers are very high compared to last year when the OHL shut down ... and we all know the vaccine rollout has been slowwwwwwwwwwww

Like ff51 says ... see you in September (hopefully!)

Really looking forward to stay at home and lockdown orders ending in February I hope ... would love to start my pick up hockey again !

Need to get out of this house!!! ... although working at home full time has its advantages, it sure would be nice to get out of the house for one entire block of eight hours lol

Thank the lord NHL hockey has started again

Go dogs go

(Who are these dogs I speak of!?)