Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,727    Downloads: 1,607,011   Msgs Posted: 129,163   Thread Views: 26,351,084   Online Now: 102
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Thanked 3,381 Times in 1,845 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_squad View Post
Confident that he will be traded at the deadline, the organization is probably hoping that they can command more of a ransom for trading away their team captain.
They did the same thing for Jesse Graham... who was also an unlikely choice as the team leader.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Rookie

CrazyJoeDavola will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Oh goody! Now he can add a C to his personal line of clothing.
...Sounds like someone is jealous of the success of a teenager. 102 pts as an 18 yr old, 2nd rd NHL pick, captain, off ice class act. .....I like how some people on this forum attack teenagers but say nothing about the two clown brothers running the Ice Dogs team.. Pick on the teenagers who earn their way and silence on the adult nepotism. ..makes sense
Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
...Sounds like someone is jealous of the success of a teenager. 102 pts as an 18 yr old, 2nd rd NHL pick, captain, off ice class act. .....I like how some people on this forum attack teenagers but say nothing about the two clown brothers running the Ice Dogs team.. Pick on the teenagers who earn their way and silence on the adult nepotism. ..makes sense
Nope. No silence on the Burke boys, or parents. They are probably more maligned than strictly necessary. And I don't think anyone is attacking Akil Thomas as a hockey player. They doubt his commitment to team play, and his leadership skills (which likely won't matter too much at the next level).

Personally I'm more of the type that thinks a 'character' (ie not necessarily a top scorer) player makes a better captain, but this tends not to be the philosophy of the IceDogs organization.

But ultimately it's all down to personal thoughts and feelings re: individual player, et captaincy philosophy. No one is right or wrong. And no one is picking on anyone. Just expressing personal expectations informed by experience, and preference. Relax, it's only hockey...
Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM
1st Line

Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
Sounds like you're not reading what I wrote. Never once did I say anything about his talent or his enthusiasm in this context. He is both. He is not a leader however, as in looking out for others on his team. Yes, he is a points leader, but not a leader of men.

As for my grief over the line of clothing, anyone else notice it is pretty much IceDogs merch with his jersey number on it? I am not seeing anything unique or stylistically different, just team swag focused on him.

Also if you don't think I call out Billy or Joey then you really have the wrong opinion of me!
Old 08-27-2019, 08:40 PM
1st Line

Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members

Just noticed in tonight's announcement of team scouts that Akil's dad wasn't on the list anymore. I wonder if that was omission or if he is done "scouting" ...
Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Just noticed in tonight's announcement of team scouts that Akil's dad wasn't on the list anymore. I wonder if that was omission or if he is done "scouting" ...
Pretty sure he got a coaching job in the ECHL last season... An Assistant Coaching job with Greenville SwampRabbits if I remember properly, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 07:34 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sounds like you're not reading what I wrote. Never once did I say anything about his talent or his enthusiasm in this context. He is both. He is not a leader however, as in looking out for others on his team. Yes, he is a points leader, but not a leader of men.

As for my grief over the line of clothing, anyone else notice it is pretty much IceDogs merch with his jersey number on it? I am not seeing anything unique or stylistically different, just team swag focused on him.

Also if you don't think I call out Billy or Joey then you really have the wrong opinion of me!
Itís interesting that articles in both the Standard and BPSports talk about his great leadership qualities and Matt and DJ say he was the obvious choice. But you say he isnít a good leader. Could you provide me with some examples as to why he is not a good leader. Is he hard to get along with in the dressing room? Is he saying bad things on the bench. What inside info do you have that disputes the claim he is a good leader.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:03 AM
1st Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
Itís interesting that articles in both the Standard and BPSports talk about his great leadership qualities and Matt and DJ say he was the obvious choice. But you say he isnít a good leader. Could you provide me with some examples as to why he is not a good leader. Is he hard to get along with in the dressing room? Is he saying bad things on the bench. What inside info do you have that disputes the claim he is a good leader.
I think the general consensus is that Matt and DJ say whatever the team tells them to. Other than being a really good hockey player can you tell me what skills he possesses that make him a leader? He plays a good game, but it is usually not a team game on the ice. Since day one, hockey operations have treated him as "special", the ice time, his face on everything, propping him up with other players when he slumped. Even as an A you never saw him rallying the players on the bench or being anything more than a great player. Some people equate great play with leadership, I don't.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,419 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I think the general consensus is that Matt and DJ say whatever the team tells them to. Other than being a really good hockey player can you tell me what skills he possesses that make him a leader? He plays a good game, but it is usually not a team game on the ice. Since day one, hockey operations have treated him as "special", the ice time, his face on everything, propping him up with other players when he slumped. Even as an A you never saw him rallying the players on the bench or being anything more than a great player. Some people equate great play with leadership, I don't.
At this level the on ice **** is the tip of the iceberg and his on ice performance has been great anyway. He led the team in points and plus minus while playing half the year with an injury that almost put him out for the year.

If he's encouraging the members of the team to stay on the straight and narrow, to eat right, to train right and play right then he's a true leader. He's not just happy to be here. He's always looking to get better and to evolve as a player and if he's positively influencing the others to do the same he'll be a great captain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Rookie

CrazyJoeDavola will become famous soon enough

Quote:
. I think the general consensus is that your sour grapes of Akil being named captain holds no weight. ...I trust the opinion of people who actually spend time around the team then a bitter fan. Call me Crazy
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyJoeDavola For This Useful Post: