Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,727    Downloads: 1,607,011   Msgs Posted: 129,163   Thread Views: 26,351,245   Online Now: 122
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:35 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,169 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Fishfan took a break because of all the idiotic mouth-breathing comments on here. I have no doubt he is just as informed as always and reads this and other sources. I miss his insight and his ability to launch missles just slightly over people"s heads. I say if you wanna go, take TDN with ya and we'll call it a draw!
Naw, I think I will stay around a little longer.

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 09-06-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,142 Times in 1,542 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
G (2)
Sbaraglia
Tynan

D (7)
Paquette (OA)
Roberts (OA)
Enright
Cato
Howard
Chanton
Betts

F (13)
Johnson (OA)
Thomas
Bruder
Doherty
Theriault
Sopa
Tomasino
Campbell
Uberti
DeSimone
Snow
Sims
AJ Cook (used as needed, either forward or D)

This allows Hunter to be moved (as I believe he is marginally more marketable than Roberts, however, I also expect Paquette to be moved at the Trade Deadline). I would also expect Castleman to be moved as well, same reasons as above, also, in a pinch Johnson can be counted on to play a 'passable' role on 'D' in case of injuries / slumps / misc 'issues'. I would expect in the 2nd half of the season for Roberts to be 'The Veteran Influence' on D with Howard giving support.

I think Agostinelli plays in Fort Erie for the majority of the season, unless he is tearing up the league (doubtful), in which case maybe bring him in to get some experience for next season. Same with Rosenzweig. I see him playing for someone else this year, maybe a bit closer to home, as G tend to develop a bit more slowly. Though through injury, or other issues, he could see a couple of games this year.

Thomas, and maybe Tomasino (again, doubtful on Tomasino, but always a possibility for the right deal) get moved at the deadline for a boatload of plunder...

Looking ahead, I could see this team being a bit of a surprise, there is a fair bit of speed and elusiveness. If the coaches are able to get the best (not holding my breath) out of this rag tag collection of misfits, I could honestly see a 6th - 8th place finish.

On the other hand... If they Burke it up, it could be a REALLY long year for the ID Faithful (or... The Unleashed... If you will...) But at least we won't have to worry about dealing with Merkley coming in and being a locker room cancer...
The only thing I don't see as a possibility here - and this is why...

The "48-hour rule"
According to NCAA rules, players can attend a pro team’s camp once for 48 hours - major junior teams are considered “pro” by the NCAA. After that 48 hours is up, the player must leave immediately to remain eligible to play NCAA.

Both Christian Stevens and Anthony Agostinelli, removed themselves from camp after 48 hours. So, in regards to Double AA, the IceDogs had to sell him on the OHL over the NCAA – seems unlikely that an impressive US prospect like Agostinelli would have agreed to anything less than playing in the OHL to sign on this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Thanked 3,381 Times in 1,845 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
What’s more troubling is that he is a lifelong DIE HARD OHL fan ... and I believe he said that he has given up his season tickets this year .....

There could be a day when any of us do the same thing. For me it is a game and a past-time, a night out with the missus, and something to talk about with friends and co-workers. I enjoy it. If it ever gets to be a source of frustration, I'm gone too. OHL hockey has come and gone from my life at various times and the world has kept spinning. Fishfan51 is a great contributor to this site and I miss his participation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,169 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
There could be a day when any of us do the same thing. For me it is a game and a past-time, a night out with the missus, and something to talk about with friends and co-workers. I enjoy it. If it ever gets to be a source of frustration, I'm gone too. OHL hockey has come and gone from my life at various times and the world has kept spinning. Fishfan51 is a great contributor to this site and I miss his participation.
You pretty much wrote my thoughts on the ice Dogs. When it no longer is fun going to the games, we will go away, just like people in general do

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 09-07-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Corrected major wording mistakes
Old 09-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
The only thing I don't see as a possibility here - and this is why...

The "48-hour rule"
According to NCAA rules, players can attend a pro team’s camp once for 48 hours - major junior teams are considered “pro” by the NCAA. After that 48 hours is up, the player must leave immediately to remain eligible to play NCAA.

Both Christian Stevens and Anthony Agostinelli, removed themselves from camp after 48 hours. So, in regards to Double AA, the IceDogs had to sell him on the OHL over the NCAA – seems unlikely that an impressive US prospect like Agostinelli would have agreed to anything less than playing in the OHL to sign on this year.
I see... I didn't see anything out of Agostinelli that really knocked my socks off, and I think he will suffer quite a bit from the bigger players, and faster game. Not forever of course, just until he adjusts. Don't get me wrong, he looked good. I'm just not sure he looked ready.

If I were a GM, I'd be using Vince Dunn as an example of how much a year of JR B can help a player acclimate to the faster OHL game. He tore it up in Thorold before becoming a fixture here. Even if I didn't always love his sloppy D, he was always an exciting, and gifted player.

Incidentally, I love the idea of nicknaming him 'Double A'... But that's the 80s southern wrestling fan in me...
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Or Castleman... I mean I am all for not having to buy a new jersey but it depends on who offers what for whom, right? Also, is Johnson wearing a letter a temporary thing because the other players didn't play? Is it to drive up his value in a trade? Is it because he is the one staying put?
I think Castleman is the one to move, higher offensive upside, as well as a bit of sandpaper in his game.

Whereas, Johnson is the better forward defensively, and I have a feeling that is something this team will sorely need. His toughness, and size and steady hand as an older player and mentor for the youngsters.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Team Captain

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Incidentally, I love the idea of nicknaming him 'Double A'... But that's the 80s southern wrestling fan in me...
...that’s the 2009-2015 Toronto Blue Jays fan in me
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,419 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I think Castleman is the one to move, higher offensive upside, as well as a bit of sandpaper in his game.

Whereas, Johnson is the better forward defensively, and I have a feeling that is something this team will sorely need. His toughness, and size and steady hand as an older player and mentor for the youngsters.
If it was me I'd move Johnson now. If Castleman rips it up it's only going to up his value towards the deadline. I'd be more than happy to keep Johnson around but they don't really have space for him IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
When it no longer becomes a pain, we will go away.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Team Captain

In the case of Christian Stevens, an extremely reliable source told me he came to camp with the hopes of getting a contract with the IceDogs. Stevens was impressive enough to warrant at least a top 9 spot to start the season. So the IceDogs were probably unable to come to some type of an agreement - can only assume Stevens’ advisor/agent probably wanted a gold contract - that the IceDogs didn’t have or want to offer.

If Stevens is still interest in the OHL, can the IceDogs trade him, if they acquired him for a conditional pick?

To answer my own question. The IceDogs should be able to trade him - they did officially acquired his rights for a 15th rd pick.

The Spitfires received a conditional 15th-round draft pick in 2023 that turns into a sixth-round pick in 2022 if Stevens plays one game for Niagara.

Last edited by Blacksox; 09-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.