Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,736    Downloads: 1,621,861   Msgs Posted: 129,715   Thread Views: 26,710,529   Online Now: 101
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Who should be fired?
Joey 2 5.26%
Billy 4 10.53%
Both 22 57.89%
Neither 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Getting to the finals and bowing out in the second round with one more victory than the prior season are two different things. Apples to apples.

I don't think people would be nearly as critical if the Dogs made it to the finals.

I haven't read one person say championship or bust. Going out in the second round to the very team that you traded a future star and multiple high end draft picks is a far cry from getting beat the league finals.

If the Dogs made it to the finals and lost it would be disappointing. Giving up the farm and not getting a sniff is a different animal altogether. You seem intelligent enough to recognize the difference.
I think people would still be as critical if it was the final. People may not have said itís chanpio or bust but I think thatís obvious the goal when any team goes all in regardless if the fans think/agree with that. For me losing to Oshawa absolutely sucks but itís no different than if they lost in the finals I donít care who you lost to a lose is a lose
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,577 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I think people would still be as critical if it was the final. People may not have said itís championship or bust
No they said it. Many people said it!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,217 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
So you now you are agreeing with that line of thinking - that you don’t have to win it all to be successful. Guelph or Ottawa will be joining the rest of the OHL failures or successes depending on how you feel about not being first.
No, I'm showing you that the GM you defend to no end thinks that there are participation ribbons. You brought them up. Not me.

IMO, going to the league finals is successful. Going out in the second round after throwing around assets like candy is not.

If Guelph had gone out in the second round after spending all of the assets they did. It would've been a massive failure for them as well.

Last edited by fishfan51; 05-02-2019 at 03:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,577 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
No, I'm showing you that the GM you defend to no end thinks that there are participation ribbons. You brought them up. Not me.

IMO, going to the league finals is successful. Going out in the second round after throwing around assets like candy is not.

If Guelph had gone out in the second round after spending all of the assets they did. It would've been a massive failure for them as well.
Wrong. Iím not defending JB. Iím defending EVERY GM who had the b#lls to go for it. All but one lost - big deal. Move on, rebuild and try again.

There are a group of us that are content with an attempt at a championship once in a while - but there are a WHOLE lot more people (including yourself) who have written that not winning it all is not good enough. So not sure why it will be ok in your opinion for Guelph to fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Big League

Chipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol... didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Anyone that is a Fish fan could never hurt my feelings I think it's your feelings that are hurt when not everyone prescribes to your expert opinion.

Last edited by Chipperdog; 05-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Resident OHL Expert

fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperdog View Post
Anyone that is a Fish fan could never hurt my feelings I think it's your feelings that are hurt when not everyone prescribes to your expert opinion.
While I thank you for calling me an expert, I'm okay. No hard feelings here. Go easy on the fish, they had a great draft day!
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud of

Joey was a fool for going for it this year. The Dogs were never in the same ballpark as Ottawa and the 67's had double the buying power (more draft picks ) to upgrade. The early 2nd rd exit to Oshawa was embarrassing. ....I think we can all agree that young Joey cost his parents a lot of $$$$$. ...Marty provided 4 playoff rounds and more home games with escalating ticket prices in '' go for it years '' . Marty got the team to the big dance and made Mama & Daddy Burke $$$$ ...Joey brought a knife to a gun fight and looked silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Hawk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 04:37 PM
Big League

Chipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While I thank you for calling me an expert, I'm okay. No hard feelings here. Go easy on the fish, they had a great draft day!
Yes we will see how that goes....if you are such an expert why do you surround yourself with so many poor teams? I guess the number of posts does not an expert make..In all seriousness though you would think by being a Fish Fan you would be used to bad management by now.

Last edited by Chipperdog; 05-02-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of

I totally agree that to be successful you do not have to win the championship. After our last trip to the finals, numerous people on this site were demanding Marty be fired for not winning it all. I remember someone saying that a trip to the finals was a great accomplishment and someone else saying “been there, done that” fire Marty now. I remember thinking how spoiled we have gotten thinking that anything less than an OHL title should result in the coach getting canned.

As for this year, we had a successful regular season - 2 points shy of our best regular season ever - and a disastrous playoff run.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 05-02-2019 at 05:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperdog View Post
Yes we will see how that goes....if you are such an expert why do you surround yourself with so many poor teams? I guess the number of posts does not an expert make..In all seriousness though you would think by being a Fish Fan you would be used to bad management by now.
I didnít call myself a so called expert, you did. While the fish maybe poor, theyíre still a notch above the Bills which is the reason I became a Dolphins fan to begin with. The Pens 5 cups in the last 17 or 18 years is pretty good, no?