Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,076    Downloads: 790,543   Msgs Posted: 107,957   Thread Views: 14,997,323   Online Now: 32
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > Other > Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International

Notices

Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International All posts related to any hockey that is NOT about the IceDogs.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM
2nd Line

Location: Section C since the beginning then moved to new arena!
canucks4 is a name known to allcanucks4 is a name known to allcanucks4 is a name known to allcanucks4 is a name known to allcanucks4 is a name known to allcanucks4 is a name known to all
Default Judge orders OHL & WHL to hand over financial records

I don't know if anyone else is following this, but its starting to get interesting. A judge in Calgary has ordered both leagues to open their books in an ongoing class action lawsuit asserting that the clubs are making millions and should be paying minimum wage to the players. I suspect a few owners thought the OHL would just deal with this and make it go away, but it doesn't look like that's happening. I tried copying the article, but no go - its on the CBC sports network.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 AM
1st Line

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks4 View Post
I don't know if anyone else is following this, but its starting to get interesting. A judge in Calgary has ordered both leagues to open their books in an ongoing class action lawsuit asserting that the clubs are making millions and should be paying minimum wage to the players. I suspect a few owners thought the OHL would just deal with this and make it go away, but it doesn't look like that's happening. I tried copying the article, but no go - its on the CBC sports network.
To be honest I'm surprised it's taken this long for a class action suit of this nature from the players. There was grumbling about it from some players back in the early 90s... It's something that my family ( and many others I'm sure ) have been arguing about in arenas, and bars, and at big family dinners for ages.

Be very interesting to see where this goes.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I am following it closely as well. I suspect the losses are not what Branch says they are.

However I think the players need to be careful what they wish for.

If they are paid minimum wage and then charged for equipment, sticks, room and board, meals etc, I really do suspect the players won't really be ahead of the game financially anymore like they are now. Keep in mind the MAJORITY of OHL players do not go on to professional levels. Therefore in theory the MAJORITY of players are getting some type of financial assistance for post secondary education. I'm guessing the level of funding they do get is negotiated between player and team.

And don't just assume if they are treated as employees, and paid a minimum wage, that the employer is obligated to price equipment, sticks, room and board, meals, to their employees ... doesn't always work like that in the private sector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 PM
1st Line

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I am following it closely as well. I suspect the losses are not what Branch says they are.

However I think the players need to be careful what they wish for.

If they are paid minimum wage and then charged for equipment, sticks, room and board, meals etc, I really do suspect the players won't really be ahead of the game financially anymore like they are now. Keep in mind the MAJORITY of OHL players do not go on to professional levels. Therefore in theory the MAJORITY of players are getting some type of financial assistance for post secondary education. I'm guessing the level of funding they do get is negotiated between player and team.

And don't just assume if they are treated as employees, and paid a minimum wage, that the employer is obligated to price equipment, sticks, room and board, meals, to their employees ... doesn't always work like that in the private sector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really think this is a lose / lose proposition for the players... For many of the reasons you mentioned, ie. the team picks up the costs of playing hockey in the league, equipment costs ( Those are not cheap 10$ wooden sticks from that we used to get at Cambodian Tire in the 80s to play road hockey with ), travel expenses (food and rooms if required), room and board with billets, etc... As well as the education plan that so many boys have taken advantage of.

I think it's disingenuous for Branch to claim the teams are money losing operations. If they were losing money, they wouldn't be around long. Few business people want to stay in a business that is losing money. But I can understand not paying the players minimum wage. Plus the idea of paying a hockey player an hourly wage just seems weird to me.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:36 PM
3rd Line

NachoLou is a name known to allNachoLou is a name known to allNachoLou is a name known to allNachoLou is a name known to allNachoLou is a name known to allNachoLou is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
I really think this is a lose / lose proposition for the players... For many of the reasons you mentioned, ie. the team picks up the costs of playing hockey in the league, equipment costs ( Those are not cheap 10$ wooden sticks from that we used to get at Cambodian Tire in the 80s to play road hockey with ), travel expenses (food and rooms if required), room and board with billets, etc... As well as the education plan that so many boys have taken advantage of.

I think it's disingenuous for Branch to claim the teams are money losing operations. If they were losing money, they wouldn't be around long. Few business people want to stay in a business that is losing money. But I can understand not paying the players minimum wage. Plus the idea of paying a hockey player an hourly wage just seems weird to me.
If they were losing money, would the Burkes be throwing a million dollars at a street sign?
Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,184 Times in 538 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks4 View Post

CHL teams ordered to turn over tax info by Alberta judge
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ling-1.3828217

CHL responds after Alberta judge orders teams to hand over tax returns, finance statements
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...udge-1.3829713
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2016, 11:20 PM

Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,014 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoLou View Post
If they were losing money, would the Burkes be throwing a million dollars at a street sign?
there you have it kids - post of the day
Old 11-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoLou View Post
Maybe the true reason the money was with drawn they might have known this court order was coming down.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:10 PM
4th Line

poochlover will become famous soon enough
Default Cmon

I doubt if the teams would begin charging players for equipment and hotel rooms!!! Meals on the road would be provided (as with any other business) and I do not know many companies that charge for work equipment (computers etc). The reality is that a good number of teams earn reasonable( and in some cases) exceptional returns on their investments. The sale prices of the franchises in the past 5 years certainly show that owners EXPECT a return. Will be interesting
Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default Judge orders OHL & WHL to hand over financial records

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochlover View Post
I doubt if the teams would begin charging players for equipment and hotel rooms!!! Meals on the road would be provided (as with any other business) and I do not know many companies that charge for work equipment (computers etc). The reality is that a good number of teams earn reasonable( and in some cases) exceptional returns on their investments. The sale prices of the franchises in the past 5 years certainly show that owners EXPECT a return. Will be interesting

Never say never.

Various employers charge employees for uniforms.

In construction you often have to pay for your own boots, outerwear.

Apprentices in various trades often have to pay for their own tools.

How about a gym to work out at? Or access to a training staff? Not many employers provide you with free gym memberships or access to free health professional services whenever you need it?

Oh and how about all of that icetime they get? Practices almost daily? Last time I checked it wasn't free to rent ice time ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post: