Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,118    Downloads: 826,452   Msgs Posted: 110,521   Thread Views: 16,331,686   Online Now: 60
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > Other > Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International

Notices

Other Hockey: OHL, NHL, International All posts related to any hockey that is NOT about the IceDogs.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 PM
2nd Line

Red is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Two words: annual salary.
The league will argue the benefits the players don't pay for and the education package are more than that salary the players want.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

The players should be careful want they ask for
Old 02-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

http://www.tsn.ca/lawyers-follow-the...cials-1.682888

From Rick Westhead,

The Niagara Ice Dogs say they can’t afford to pay players min. wage. Their tax return shows the team leases 4 BMWs, inc. a $121K BMW X6 M. https://t.co/xP7BPgc6D2

Last edited by fishfan51; 02-28-2017 at 02:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,116 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
From Rick Westhead,
The Niagara Ice Dogs say they can’t afford to pay players min. wage. Their tax return shows the team leases 4 BMWs, inc. a $121K BMW X6 M. https://t.co/xP7BPgc6D2
This comment is a bit unfair in that they are comparing a past statement to a present reality. There can be no doubt that through hard work and determination, Bill and Denise Burke have taken a nothing franchise and transformed it into a gem. The crux of the twitter comment and article is that because they are doing well in year ten, they must also have been doing well in previous years and were misleading the public. I have complete confidence in the fact that there were some very lean years and that they took a considerable risk investing their money. Fortunately for them with the creation of the Meridian Centre - it paid off.

As for the BMWs, image is important in the world of hockey. When you are trying to attract talent and convince players that Niagara is a destination they should consider, nothing succeeds like success. They took the chances, they brought the success, they deserve the fruits of their endeavors - and there is nothing wrong with telling the world that Niagara is a good club and is now one of the more lucrative franchises. I'd say most executives at that level drive higher end cars.

The later twitter comments in that thread tell a more important story. Bill and Denise Burke have a reputation for treating their players well. I have no doubt if the climate changes to one of an employee athlete rather than a student athlete that the Burke's will continue as benevolent owners.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of people own a BMW or a Mercedes and they do not own a hockey team or even have a high paying job.
I am thinking that this is a non issue in my eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I know a lot of people own a BMW or a Mercedes and they do not own a hockey team or even have a high paying job.
I am thinking that this is a non issue in my eyes.
I think his point is the optics are bad. You can't have four luxury cars on the books and then say paying min wage would be catastrophic.

If they're making good money, great they earned it. Just stop telling everyone you're not.

Last edited by fishfan51; 02-28-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think his point is the optics are bad. You can't have four luxury cars on the books and then say paying min wage would be catastrophic.

If they're making good money, great they earned it. Just stop telling everyone you're not.
I have to agree with you on the above.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 PM
3rd Line

jumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I have to agree with you on the above.
you're assuming that money was derived from hockey; could be another source
The Following User Says Thank You to jumbo1290 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to allStinkyp3t3 is a name known to all

Quote:

You should see their house.

Good for them I say.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 PM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Big deal they have BMW'S and a fancy house... they were also business owners before owning a hockey franchise.. this IDIOT... RICK THE DICK WESTHEAD is just blowing smoke to try to help the story.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dogs77 For This Useful Post: