Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,736    Downloads: 1,622,244   Msgs Posted: 129,789   Thread Views: 26,745,019   Online Now: 53
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Who should be fired?
Joey 2 5.26%
Billy 4 10.53%
Both 22 57.89%
Neither 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 AM
2nd Line

jumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
It would be like Christmas to see the Burke Boys both step down after an exit like this. But we know thatís not going to happen. You can do all the polls you like. Splash the results, in all caps, all over this page. But all of this disappointed rage is going to stay right here.
I have maintained from Day One when Marty Williamson was fired, that it was a recipe for disaster for the owners of any sports team to hire their kids to run the team. Itís true of any business that is run by family, that itís all good if the business is doing well, all good. But if itís not, any outside observer would surmise that the problems are ongoing because Head of Business is allowing problems to continue because they refuse to believe Ďproblemí, is the fault of their kid, or kids. Everyone but the kid eventually gets fired, or quits.
Bullroar. In London, the Knights just blew a 3 game lead. I guess Dale and Mark Hunter, (Team Canada's coach and GM , respectively) should be fired? And Dylan Hunter, too, as he is related. Babcock? well , he lost last night, fired. Cooper ? got swept, fired. You completely overlook the randomness of sport, and the fact that Oshawa played very well. Thanks for the 20-20 hindsight, I wasn't hearing a whole lot of this junk when it was 2 games to zero Niagara.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,869 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1290 View Post
Bullroar. In London, the Knights just blew a 3 game lead. I guess Dale and Mark Hunter, (Team Canada's coach and GM , respectively) should be fired? And Dylan Hunter, too, as he is related. Babcock? well , he lost last night, fired. Cooper ? got swept, fired. You completely overlook the randomness of sport, and the fact that Oshawa played very well. Thanks for the 20-20 hindsight, I wasn't hearing a whole lot of this junk when it was 2 games to zero Niagara.
In London, the fans are calling for Dale Hunter to retire. If you're a Leaf fan you have seen a steady stream of coaches. If you look at your group of friends and relatives, you know a bunch who have been married more than once.

Why?

Because the easiest reaction is to give up. The Burke's have lots to learn and for some of us this has been a constructive theme. They aren't going anywhere so long as the family owns the team. Here's hoping they scrape the egg off their face and move forward, and make the needed changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:00 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

Jumbo, I don’t think I have enough space here to explain to you that your equation of the situation in London to the situation here is like comparing apples to 3- bedroom houses. One situation has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
The Hunters bought the London Knights from local ownership in 2000, at a time when the Knights were an absolute disaster. You have Dale Hunter, having experience as an NHL scout, NHL assistant coach and NHL head coach. And previous experience in the OHL as a HC, and a GM. Mark Hunter having experience as an NHL scout, Assistant Coach and Head Coach. Add to that the Hunters’ Memorial Cup appearances, and I think they might have won a Memorial Cup as well.
Are you insinuating what the Burke Boys have accomplished are anywhere near the same universe as the Hunters’? I am not necessarily suggesting anyone be fired, on the contrary. What the IceDogs should be doing now is a complete rebuild from the ground up. This ‘going for it’ this year represented a significant miscalculation, given how high we knew the cost was going to be. This is why a few on here were suggesting the Dogs should sell at the deadline this past year to kick-start the rebuild. I guess the silver lining to this very costly post-season exit is that now the Dogs have no choice but to do a rebuild now. Painful, yes, but a lot of that pain is the result of the OHL sanctions, not the Burkes.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:22 PM
2nd Line

jumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Jumbo, I donít think I have enough space here to explain to you that your equation of the situation in London to the situation here is like comparing apples to 3- bedroom houses. One situation has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
The Hunters bought the London Knights from local ownership in 2000, at a time when the Knights were an absolute disaster. You have Dale Hunter, having experience as an NHL scout, NHL assistant coach and NHL head coach. And previous experience in the OHL as a HC, and a GM. Mark Hunter having experience as an NHL scout, Assistant Coach and Head Coach. Add to that the Huntersí Memorial Cup appearances, and I think they might have won a Memorial Cup as well.
Are you insinuating what the Burke Boys have accomplished are anywhere near the same universe as the Huntersí? I am not necessarily suggesting anyone be fired, on the contrary. What the IceDogs should be doing now is a complete rebuild from the ground up. This Ďgoing for ití this year represented a significant miscalculation, given how high we knew the cost was going to be. This is why a few on here were suggesting the Dogs should sell at the deadline this past year to kick-start the rebuild. I guess the silver lining to this very costly post-season exit is that now the Dogs have no choice but to do a rebuild now. Painful, yes, but a lot of that pain is the result of the OHL sanctions, not the Burkes.
I'm insinuating nothing; read your last post, you did call for firings. I am stating for the hockey and thinking impaired that firing someone after a loss is asinine. yes it happens all the time, and it is almost always stupid. Leafs have fired more coaches and GM's than anyone for 50 years;how's that working out?
The Following User Says Thank You to jumbo1290 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,869 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I'm insinuating nothing; read your last post, you did call for firings. I am stating for the hockey and thinking impaired that firing someone after a loss is asinine. yes it happens all the time, and it is almost always stupid. Leafs have fired more coaches and GM's than anyone for 50 years;how's that working out?
I know a guy who is on his 4th wife... he constantly admits he should have tried harder with his first wife. He is also a Leafs fan. You're right, firing isn't always the best answer and in this case unless Easter Dinner is going to be very, very akward at the Burke's - it's not even an option.

Many, myself included, weren't feeling the love with the core of this team. The IceDogs disagreed, and they were wrong. Going forward I hope they have learned from this embarrassment and have a strategy for the future. I have learned way more from failure than through successes.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,187 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I guess you can put me in the asinine group as if I wake up some morning and hear that he has been moved to another position in the organisation, I would not be disappointed.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I’ll try to boil it down. I’m actually looking forward to a rebuild, because the Dogs’ ‘buy the roster at the expense of draft picks’ plan has failed. What I am hoping Joey Burke does not do going forward is more of what he has been doing for the past two years. That being torching piles of draft picks to acquire more Paquettes and Robinson’s. It’s time to stop, and build the right way. All draft picks, all raw talent. I don’t know, let’s see what The Burke Clan can do when they push the plunger on the TNT box, and start from scratch.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of

Quote:
This is why a few on here were suggesting the Dogs should sell at the deadline this past year to kick-start the rebuild.
The IceDogs had their third best regular season ever and were 2 points away from matching their best season ever. Being a seller at the deadline would have been a crime. The IceDogs had the roster to go all the way but sometimes the team with the best players doesnít always win.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,079 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I guess I’ll try to boil it down. I’m actually looking forward to a rebuild, because the Dogs’ ‘buy the roster at the expense of draft picks’ plan has failed. What I am hoping Joey Burke does not do going forward is more of what he has been doing for the past two years. That being torching piles of draft picks to acquire more Paquettes and Robinson’s. It’s time to stop, and build the right way. All draft picks, all raw talent. I don’t know, let’s see what The Burke Clan can do when they push the plunger on the TNT box, and start from scratch.

That would include stopping wasteful trades like the Militec trade ... uh oh I said it again ...

That trade was totally pointless a waste of assets and I’m sure the motivation behind it was a couple extra playoff home gates to fill the bank account

I really think that this organization needs a NON BURKE to be a director of hockey operations.

Someone who can think rationally due to their arm’s length relationship with pa and junior Burke’s ... to steer them in the right direction. Of which way to go on the ice.

Because the current braintrust has proven I. The past two years that they have no clue what they are doing as far as trying to win a championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,079 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
The IceDogs had their third best regular season ever and were 2 points away from matching their best season ever. Being a seller at the deadline would have been a crime. The IceDogs had the roster to go all the way but sometimes the team with the best players doesn’t always win.

Sure they had their third best season ever ... but at what FUTURE COST ?

You keep believing that they had to go for it all lol

They didn’t have the goaltending to go all the way ... look at the four goalies that were left in The eastern conference semis ... all with far superior resumes than the Icedogs ...

We had a good core yes but not a GREAT core IMO our D wasn’t deep enough on its own without the COSTLY additions of Paquette (who was very good) and Brassard (who IMO was extremely disappointing here)

He spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave picking up these four players...I

Check the post history

I said at the time of the trade deadline that they paid way too much, and that our goaltending wasn’t good enough and that this was a miscalculation .

I thought they would get to the third round ... but I was t all that worried about having to buy $40 final tickets ...

Calling it anything but a HUGE MISCALCULATION is just plain silly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post: