Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,833    Downloads: 2,574,020   Msgs Posted: 136,400   Thread Views: 40,042,246   Online Now: 76
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:32 AM
Junior Hockey Research Analyst

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,013 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default 2023 Mem-Cup Bid?

2023 Mem-Cup Bid?

21-22 Mem-Cup QMJHL (Saint John Sea Dogs)
(Team Core: 01-OAs + 02s + 03s)

22-23 Mem-Cup WHL (T.B.A.)
(Team Core: 02-OAs + 03s + 04s)

23-24 Mem-Cup OHL (T.B.A)
(Team Core: 03-OAs + 04s + 05s)

…could this be the IceDogs’ long-term plan?

The high number of rostered 04s and 05s (10) and early emphasis on these rookies' playing time - which does not include the signing of S Douglas-Najem and the likely or possible signing of player such as: 04 Z Wisdom, 05 C Haynes, 05 J Wismer, O5 A Rego, + US born 05 Z Shultz (US NTDP) and C Bishop - would align itself with the 23/24 season and perhaps we begin to see where the IceDogs are potentially going with this.

A 2024 Memorial Cup in Niagara on the heels of hosting the 2022 Canada Summer Games would be a huge boast to our local economy.

Last edited by Blacksox; 10-16-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,344 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

IIRC, there was an article a few years ago where Bill Burke said that the Dogs wouldn’t bid on the Memorial Cup because the league wants so much guaranteed revenue from the event it wasn’t financially feasible. Things may have changed, the league may not be demanding as much as they once did, the Dogs may be in a better financially than they were, etc.

The region definitely has lots to offer when it comes to hosting an event.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:40 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

It is gonna happen sooner or later. I can feel it.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:57 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members

I remember checking the ticket prices for the last memorial cup and buying the full Ticket package, which I think was 8 games, was more expensive than IceDogs season tickets for the whole season. I really am not sure if people will pay upwards of $100 per game to see junior hockey.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:48 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,300 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Do not get me started on the Memorial Cup lol. Oops there it is!

Personally I think the tournament has become a joke, the format, who gets to host it, and the prices of tickets.

FF I agree the CHL has become so greedy with the rights and then all of the risk falls on the junior team to try and make a profit and there is only so much profit they are going to make. Although they have a decent amount of suites I think the arena size is too small to make much extra profit to justify the risk of the financial outlay. As a spectator Being forced to buy the entire package of games is BS also. I probably wouldn?t buy tickets and I?m a huge OHL fan. I?m not paying $100 to watch junior hockey. Sorry not sorry.

And if the icedogs were ever to host a MemCup and somehow win it only as being host I honestly would not even get all that excited about it.

However, if the Icedogs ever won the OHL and went to a MemCup through the front door that changes everything. I suddenly become VERY interested and would probably try and go wherever it was being held to try and watch in person even if it meant buying the whole package of tickets.

Personally I think the format where the host city team automatically gets in, is utter stupidity.

Make it a six team format, all finalists make the tourney, reduce the up front money grab, I think it would be a better tournament and IMO more interesting for the average fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 07:08 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,349 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Do not get me started on the Memorial Cup lol. Oops there it is!

Personally I think the tournament has become a joke, the format, who gets to host it, and the prices of tickets.

FF I agree the CHL has become so greedy with the rights and then all of the risk falls on the junior team to try and make a profit and there is only so much profit they are going to make. Although they have a decent amount of suites I think the arena size is too small to make much extra profit to justify the risk of the financial outlay. As a spectator Being forced to buy the entire package of games is BS also. I probably wouldn?t buy tickets and I?m a huge OHL fan. I?m not paying $100 to watch junior hockey. Sorry not sorry.

And if the icedogs were ever to host a MemCup and somehow win it only as being host I honestly would not even get all that excited about it.

However, if the Icedogs ever won the OHL and went to a MemCup through the front door that changes everything. I suddenly become VERY interested and would probably try and go wherever it was being held to try and watch in person even if it meant buying the whole package of tickets.

Personally I think the format where the host city team automatically gets in, is utter stupidity.

Make it a six team format, all finalists make the tourney, reduce the up front money grab, I think it would be a better tournament and IMO more interesting for the average fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In total agreement with you!!! This tourney has become all about money and the players come second. Too bad and so sad
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 12:31 PM
All Star

Thanked 1,211 Times in 829 Posts
three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!three dog night is absolutely magnificent!

Tournament is out dated time for a change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to three dog night For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Junior Hockey Research Analyst

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,013 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

If the IceDogs can accomplish 4-5 NHL drafted 04s and another 4-5 NHL drafted 05s, from their own draft board, there will never be a better opportunity for Niagara to host the OHL Mem-Cup than 2023-2024. Talk of a possible Mem-Cup in Niagara has been hinted at…

There have always been teams willing to host the Mem-Cup, but 100% agree with some of the concern expressed. As FF51 mentioned, perhaps host city expectations have or will change - post pandemic?

Strohs' suggestion of a 6 team format would make for an outstanding and more exciting tournament. In the 4 team format, it requires 8 days – a single game played each day to complete the tournament. In a 6 team format, two groups of 3 teams; round-robin play for seeding - no teams eliminated. Playoff Round: Number one seed receives a bye, two and three play a cross-over, followed by the Semi-Finals and Finals. Tournament can also be completed in 8 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
If the IceDogs can accomplish 4-5 NHL drafted 04s and another 4-5 NHL drafted 05s, from their own draft board, there will never be a better opportunity for Niagara to host the OHL Mem-Cup than 2023-2024. Talk of a possible Mem-Cup in Niagara has been hinted at…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRsJztfYTg

There have always been teams willing to host the Mem-Cup, but 100% agree with some of the concern expressed. As FF51 mentioned, perhaps host city expectations have or will change - post pandemic?

Strohs' suggestion of a 6 team format would make for an outstanding and more exciting tournament. In the 4 team format, it requires 8 days – a single game played each day to complete the tournament. In a 6 team format, two groups of 3 teams; round-robin play for seeding - no teams eliminated. Playoff Round: Number one seed receives a bye, two and three play a cross-over, followed by the Semi-Finals and Finals. Tournament can also be completed in 8 days.

That video with the song is amazing.