Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,833    Downloads: 2,574,048   Msgs Posted: 136,400   Thread Views: 40,042,836   Online Now: 73
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:49 PM
1st Line

maddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk View Post
People need to be realistic. If you enjoy OHL Hockey and watching future talent develope then it's a great night out of the house. But if the expectation is the Ice Dogs competing for an OHL title every 3-4 years and winning under the current head coach & GM then forget about it. The Dogs don't have one of the top 5 coaches or GM's in the league. Not saying they are the worst, simply not at an elite level of the London's,Oshawa's, Burnet in Guelph etc. . ..Even an under the radar team like Hamilton have better Hockey people in place to win with Staios & Mckee. . ..The Dogs will be good every once in a while but never elite....I think the Burke family did a great job marketing the team and the fan base is a top 5 in the OHL but as far as having elite coaching and Hockey operations people in place we aren't there. They need to bring in an outside of the family Hockey guy with real experience otherwise it will never happen. I don't doubt the Burke's sincerity in winning and they're willingness to go for it every 4 years.
With all due respect, I am so grateful the Burkes brought an OHL team in Niagara..Like you said, it is indeed a great night out and very entertaining hockey. I love going to all the home games as a season ticket holder.
In regards to your other point, I agree Billy Burke is not the man for the Head Coach job and I am not a fan of him in respect to his coaching . But on the other hand, I believe Joey Burke has done a marvellous job as GM. He has recruited many high end talent here and put a very good product on the ice.
Agree with you also that the Burkes are determined to bring a championship here, they are very dedicated.
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 06:46 PM
2nd Line

RobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to behold

Governor and Assistant Governor ? Could this be the first steps for Joey and Billy moving into ownership roles ? Opening up the positions of GM and Head coach..... thoughts ?
Old 11-02-2021, 10:16 AM
3rd Line

Dawger is a glorious beacon of lightDawger is a glorious beacon of lightDawger is a glorious beacon of lightDawger is a glorious beacon of lightDawger is a glorious beacon of lightDawger is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with mad dog…not a fan of the coach but I think Joey has done a great job recently after a lacklustre start…the haul he got for Thomasino and Thomas were exceptional and to trade for Castle at such a bargain was great!…his recent drafts have been solid and the ability to sign and get Gushkin to report has made my day…I’m really looking forward to the next few years of the development of Fimms,Castle and Cooke…almost reminds me of the old “kid” line with the Niagara Falls Flyers (for those old enough to remember Ludzig, Larmer and Kirk!)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dawger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 10:26 AM
3rd Line

OlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the rough
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
With all due respect, I am so grateful the Burkes brought an OHL team in Niagara..Like you said, it is indeed a great night out and very entertaining hockey. I love going to all the home games as a season ticket holder.
In regards to your other point, I agree Billy Burke is not the man for the Head Coach job and I am not a fan of him in respect to his coaching . But on the other hand, I believe Joey Burke has done a marvellous job as GM. He has recruited many high end talent here and put a very good product on the ice.
Agree with you also that the Burkes are determined to bring a championship here, they are very dedicated.
Can't argue with any of these observations; spot on. Too bad our Billy can't see the situation in reality terms.
Maybe 'daddy' will see the obvious one day.

Last edited by OlDawg; 11-05-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:14 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,349 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDawg View Post
Can't argue with any of these observations; spot on. Too bad Billy can't see the situation in reality terms.
The obvious is way over due.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDawg View Post
Can't argue with any of these observations; spot on. Too bad Billy can't see the situation in reality terms.
Don't bet on it... I'm not... I see him "coaching" this team into the ground... Big Bill, or Joey can bring in every "real" OHL Coach to help him as an Associate Coach... But as long as Little Bill is calling the shots behind the bench... We're going to have to endure his "system" or lack thereof. Hopefully his learning curve steepens a bit...

I've had about enough of PP1... And the defensive play in their own zone (a strength in the first few games) has REALLY fallen off the face of the planet... Season is early, but this is at least a .500 team. The fact that we're an under .500 team speaks to the lack of coaching. You can't send 5 individuals out onto the ice, and expect a win. Talent wins individual games, but systems win divisions, conferences and leagues...
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 04:08 PM

Thanked 3,675 Times in 2,034 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
I've had about enough of PP1...
The strategy is give the puck to Gushchin, doesn't take much to shut that one down.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
The strategy is give the puck to Gushchin, doesn't take much to shut that one down.
I noticed... And having a weapon like Gushchin is wonderful, kudos to JB for getting him here... That being said... Oi vey...

I don't know how to coach "Decision Making" but I think some of these (read : most of them) boys need a refresher... Over passing is a real issue with them... Makes it seem like everyone is hot dogging, trying to get a highlight reel goal. It may not be 100% true, but it's not really false either. In reality I feel like maybe some of them don't have the confidence to just let a rocket go... I have always felt you pass to get a clear line (or as clear a line as possible), and put the puck on net... And let a scrappy or big guy in front of the net try to bang (or lift in) a rebound...

Solid, simple, well executed hockey wins more games than it loses...
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 11:12 PM
3rd Line

OlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the rough
Default Coach needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
I noticed... And having a weapon like Gushchin is wonderful, kudos to JB for getting him here... That being said... Oi vey...

I don't know how to coach "Decision Making" but I think some of these (read : most of them) boys need a refresher... Over passing is a real issue with them... Makes it seem like everyone is hot dogging, trying to get a highlight reel goal. It may not be 100% true, but it's not really false either. In reality I feel like maybe some of them don't have the confidence to just let a rocket go... I have always felt you pass to get a clear line (or as clear a line as possible), and put the puck on net... And let a scrappy or big guy in front of the net try to bang (or lift in) a rebound...

Solid, simple, well executed hockey wins more games than it loses...
Agree, 100%. You need a coach to create a 'team first' approach; one that has a teaching knowledge instead of an ego centric style. Who also uses words longer than 4 letters!!

Last edited by OlDawg; 11-05-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
We obviously arent a contender so we need to move out what we can

We basically have to endure the growing pains this year enjoy the wins and realize that I think next year is our contending year, no?

This is at least an entertaining team to watch of course they are not without their warts

GDG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think next season is a go for it year. Our 18 year olds are limited. I think we have a strong group of 17 year olds and 16 year olds and in 2 seasons when that group is 18 and 19 years old we go for it. Although next season I would expect them to finish in the top half of the standings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post: