Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,833    Downloads: 2,573,017   Msgs Posted: 136,390   Thread Views: 40,030,616   Online Now: 76
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:40 AM
Junior Hockey Research Analyst

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,013 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default IceDogs PP

IceDogs PP...
Old 11-10-2021, 09:45 AM

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

The OHL Team PP Stats are slightly misleading…the IceDogs PP is 9th overall (11 goals – 21% rate), but the top PP units are scoring between a 27-32% rate. Keep in mind, of those 11 goals - 5 have been scored by the IceDogs more effective 2nd unit.

Here’s the breakdown of IceDogs PP goals…
1st PP UNIT <> Gushchin, Gushchin, Uberti (1st Unit), Cooke, Cooke, Cooke.
2nd PP UNIT <> Castle, Betts, Uberti (2nd Unit), Fimis, Fimis

The fact that they are 9th only means the ceiling is much, much higher for the IceDogs. As a fan, this post is not to simply grumble about the PP, but rather discuss how they can get to their ceiling and win more games. The talent (and especially the young talent) is there!

You only have to watch the 1st unit PP on a regular basis to see they need to improve – zone entry, puck movement, creating shooting lanes and shot selection. On the other hand, the 2nd unit has been more effective – they use (Aidan Castle and) Pano Fimis on his off-wing to score two beautiful one-timer goals.

So why are the IceDogs two heaviest shooters (Butler and Gushchin) not given the same opportunity? A few weeks ago, Butler was on the PP off-wing for 30 seconds and finally got the only two truly good PP scoring chances he’s had all year.

People in the media that check this page - this could be a discussion on your platforms . Just check out these videos – the two Pano Fimis PP goals and the 30 seconds of Butler on the PP off-wing.

And as an example, here’s a collection of recent PP goals scored against the IceDogs…all very similar formations, all very similar goals.

...add these examples too - NHL PP one-timers.

With all the offensive firepower available to the first unit - unsure why they cannot resemble the more tradition modern game formation we see throughout the OHL, NHL (and the IceDogs 2nd Unit).

My suggestion for the 1st Unit?
Situate our two snipers Butler and Gushchin on their off-wings and a place a big body in front of the net (e.g.,Mason Howard).

Last edited by Blacksox; 11-10-2021 at 12:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 10:44 AM
1st Line

maddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Blacksox, exactly what I have been saying.
It is mind boggling that a so called OHL coach does not see this but all us fans do??
Does Billy Burke not watch PP of any OHL, NHL, teams to see that your top shooters belong on there off wings on the PP!!
The angle is much better on there off wings.
I cannot believe we our even having this discussion.
Please Ed Burkeholder and Steven Clark discuss this during intermission.
He has Cameron Butler on the right wing on the PP and hardly ever has a direct one timer.
Cameron Butler belongs on the left wing on the PP,,
Hockey 101 Billy Burke..
Is Billy Burke that clueless or what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maddog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:30 AM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Thanks Blacksox for another really well researched and put together post.

I am pretty sure that BB farms the PP to either JH or ST. I mean obviously the buck stops at BB's desk. So he should be able to recognize the issues. And get it corrected...

I actually like Snow around the net, he's got a ton of untapped potential (I know, not a new problem on this team), why not try him in front of the net. I noticed some defensemen lose track of him around the net... Might be good to pop in some dirty goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
The OHL Team PP Stats are slightly misleading…the IceDogs PP is 9th overall (11 goals – 21% rate), but the top PP units are scoring between a 27-32% rate. Keep in mind, of those 11 goals - 5 have been scored by the IceDogs more effective 2nd unit.

Here’s the breakdown of IceDogs PP goals…
1st PP UNIT <> Gushchin, Gushchin, Uberti (1st Unit), Cooke, Cooke, Cooke.
2nd PP UNIT <> Castle, Betts, Uberti (2nd Unit), Fimis, Fimis

The fact that they are 9th only means the ceiling is much, much higher for the IceDogs. As a fan, this post is not to simply grumble about the PP, but rather discuss how they can get to their ceiling and win more games. The talent (and especially the young talent) is there!

You only have to watch the 1st unit PP on a regular basis to see they need to improve – zone entry, puck movement, creating shooting lanes and shot selection. On the other hand, the 2nd unit has been more effective – they use (Aidan Castle and) Pano Fimis on his off-wing to score two beautiful one-timer goals.

So why are the IceDogs two heaviest shooters (Butler and Gushchin) not given the same opportunity? A few weeks ago, Butler was on the PP off-wing for 30 seconds and finally got the only two truly good PP scoring chances he’s had all year.

People in the media that check this page - this could be a discussion on your platforms . Just check out these videos – the two Pano Fimis PP goals and the 30 seconds of Butler on the PP off-wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeOU9_M0mI

And as an example, here’s a collection of recent PP goals scored against the IceDogs…all very similar formations, all very similar goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmU1Ye-WVhk

With all the offensive firepower available to the first unit - unsure why they cannot resemble the more tradition modern game formation we see throughout the OHL, NHL (and the IceDogs 2nd Unit).

My suggestion for the 1st Unit?
Situate our two snipers Butler and Gushchin on their off-wings and a place a big body in front of the net (e.g.,Mason Howard).

Old 11-10-2021, 12:10 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Thanks Blacksox for another really well researched and put together post.

I am pretty sure that BB farms the PP to either JH or ST. I mean obviously the buck stops at BB's desk. So he should be able to recognize the issues. And get it corrected...

I actually like Snow around the net, he's got a ton of untapped potential (I know, not a new problem on this team), why not try him in front of the net. I noticed some defensemen lose track of him around the net... Might be good to pop in some dirty goals.
I believe the PP is ST thing at least based on what I’ve seen at home games (hull going over stuff during timeouts before a PK)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:18 PM
1st Line

maddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond repute

Tremendous videos Blacksox!!
Please Eddie Burkeholder and/or Steven Clark mention this on your intermission this weekend as we have back to back home games.
Hopefully it somehow gets to Billy Burke.
To continue to have Butler and Guschin on the wrong wing on the PP is just plain ludricous.
Even though I will be at both games, I tape the games
to hear your expert analysis.
I know you guys read this forum.
Thank you
Old 11-11-2021, 01:13 AM
3rd Line

OlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the roughOlDawg is a jewel in the rough
Default Redundant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Thanks Blacksox, exactly what I have been saying.
It is mind boggling that a so called OHL coach does not see this but all us fans do??
Does Billy Burke not watch PP of any OHL, NHL, teams to see that your top shooters belong on there off wings on the PP!!
The angle is much better on there off wings.
I cannot believe we our even having this discussion.
Please Ed Burkeholder and Steven Clark discuss this during intermission.
He has Cameron Butler on the right wing on the PP and hardly ever has a direct one timer.
Cameron Butler belongs on the left wing on the PP,,
Hockey 101 Billy Burke..
Is Billy Burke that clueless or what?
He may just be a 'little' stubborn??
Old 11-11-2021, 09:10 AM

Two NHL calibre shots: Gushchin has scored 9 goals so far, but only 2 on the PP; Cameron Butler 0 PP goals. Time for change?

Gushchin on his off-wing...

Last edited by Blacksox; 11-11-2021 at 10:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 11:57 AM

At some point, the 1st unit PP (that almost got scored on twice Saturday night), will have to look different. Perhaps, one that resembles the 2nd unit - offwing shooters and a large net front presence.

To do that, have Butler and Gushchin switch side; replace Cooke with Mason Howard and plant the 6.04 / 240 pound immovable force in front of the net in the same way the 2nd unit utilizes Dylan Roobroeck to screen and distract the goalie...

#whycantthefirstunitlooklikethesecondunit

Old 11-14-2021, 12:00 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,349 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
At some point, the 1st unit PP (that almost got scored on twice Saturday night), will have to look different. Perhaps, one that resembles the 2nd unit - offwing shooters and a large net front presence.

To do that, have Butler and Gushchin switch side; replace Cooke with Mason Howard and plant the 6.04 / 240 pound immovable force in front of the net in the same way the 2nd unit utilizes Dylan Roobroeck to screen and distract the goalie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYwePkuYtw

#whycantthefirstunitlooklikethesecondunit

Billy and staff seem to be against switching the two. They spend more time raising and lowering their masks which drives me totally nuts. Not a big thing but, still drives me nuts watching them.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post: