Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,745    Downloads: 1,648,343   Msgs Posted: 130,740   Thread Views: 27,497,317   Online Now: 155
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 PM
3rd Line

e.street.banned has upset more than just a few in the past

I feel sorry for the newly drafted players. They will now be rookies on one of the biggest gong shows in the league. Imagine what it will be like for them in year three of their OHL careers? You think Bill Jr. is going to stay as assistant coach forever?

I won't hold my breath for a decent head coach. Nobody decent will come to St. Kitts when Bill Jr. is part of the package. That leads to the Marty rumours I heard about last week. My guess is he would accept Bill Jr.

Two big reasons not to coach the Dogs:

1) The Burkes really like their money in their wallets, not the staffs.
2) A son named Billy.

I'm sure whoever it is will be Coach/G.M - two bird$ with one stone.

I'd like to think Dave knew he was toast and drafted poorly on purpose but that's not it, he's just not a very good G.M. He just drafted two players in the first round he knew would 100% report. Passing on Slater says it all when he could have still had Jesse at #8 if he liked him so much. Graham is a great player but not the right pick at #6.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
2nd Line

Puckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to all

Last few years they've been drafting small, and apparently haven't deviated from that trend. Seems like something got balled up in in the first round of the draft. No disrespect against the two young guys who will be coming to town the end of the month but as others have said, management went in a totally different direction with the prospective selections. Couldn't get the OK from players to show up, so they were bypassed at the draft? Then it was a lame duck staff which can't convince the cream of the crop to come to Niagara. This was a huge draft affecting the future of the franchise, decisions will be coming up the next few years regarding a new building. If the city drags the beginning of construction on... will the fan base remain and grow? Not if the best players are picking and choosing where they want to play. Maybe, it was obvious that it was time for a change, so they pulled the trigger.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,238 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
Well with ten minutes left in the third it looks like Marty Williamson will need a new job as of tomorrow.........

timing perhaps ????
Please NO! Barrie fans have been wanting him gone for a while now. He just had as much talent as Windsor and got swept. He has been out-coached so many times Colts fans would be happy to rid themselves of him.

Ted Nolan would be ideal, but we all know that will never happen.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM
DogFan

Not really a surprise.
However to answer some questions or points that have been made here
1. Every pick in this years draft went through Bill Burke, it wasn't just Dave Brown. It is pretty easy to guess that who ever is taking over had their own list of players and Burke made sure it happened the way they wanted.
2. Junior will still be on staff in the same position he had before
3. I posted months ago that Marty Williamson was being considered for this job. I also know that Jerome Dupont interviewed for this job in mid-season. This has been going on for some time. As far as I know these two were the leading candidates.
The timing here makes me think it will be Williamson. It was common knowledge that Marty's time in Barrie was over. It came out early in the season, that this was the last year of his contract and both he and the organization were looking for a change.
Having said that there was talk that Marty was looking at an AHL job to.
After what happened with Mario last year I'd bet that the Burkes are sure that they have their guy. It may not be any of the people I have mentioned, I may not have heard the whole story, but those are facts.
I'd take some time before giving up on this team just yet. As much as I thought this staff did enough to keep their jobs, I hear this shouldn't take long and people will be happy with the result.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,238 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFan View Post
Not really a surprise.
However to answer some questions or points that have been made here
1. Every pick in this years draft went through Bill Burke, it wasn't just Dave Brown. It is pretty easy to guess that who ever is taking over had their own list of players and Burke made sure it happened the way they wanted.
2. Junior will still be on staff in the same position he had before
3. I posted months ago that Marty Williamson was being considered for this job. I also know that Jerome Dupont interviewed for this job in mid-season. This has been going on for some time. As far as I know these two were the leading candidates.
The timing here makes me think it will be Williamson. It was common knowledge that Marty's time in Barrie was over. It came out early in the season, that this was the last year of his contract and both he and the organization were looking for a change.
Having said that there was talk that Marty was looking at an AHL job to.
After what happened with Mario last year I'd bet that the Burkes are sure that they have their guy. It may not be any of the people I have mentioned, I may not have heard the whole story, but those are facts.
I'd take some time before giving up on this team just yet. As much as I thought this staff did enough to keep their jobs, I hear this shouldn't take long and people will be happy with the result.
Educated OHL fans will not be happy with Williamson. From what I have read Dupont had numerous players walk out on his team a year ago. Sound familiar?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
DogFan

I wouldn't want Dupont either. As we have seen Marty makes the playoffs but can't get over the hump. So he'd be better but not the best.
As I said there could be more names I haven't heard but, my guess it is all in place.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
3rd Line

Brock is just really niceBrock is just really niceBrock is just really niceBrock is just really nice

Personally, I'm not entirely sure I'd want anything to do with Williamson right now.

As a General Manager, he's made more enemies than friends in the past year or so. It goes back to the Sarnia/Barrie controversy over Matt Martin over a year ago. Then the Mavric Parks thing with Kitchener this year, followed by the Rychel drafting.

Neate Sager sums it up pretty well here. http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...gertocontrover

Either way, sounds like more bridges have been burnt by him than built.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
3rd Line

clark17 has a spectacular aura aboutclark17 has a spectacular aura aboutclark17 has a spectacular aura about

It was very hard to figure out last August why the team fired Mario Cichillo about a week before training camp, whether you liked Cheech as a coach or not. This one though, is even stranger.Whether or not you agree with the move, the team entrusted the future of the franchise for the next four years on draft day to a General Manager who was fired 3 days later? Was the decision to relieve Brown of his duties made before or after the draft? Much like Cichillo's dismissal, if the move was going to be made, the timing could have been much, much better. Why not right after the season, so a new G.M. could be named and have time to map out a draft strategy. As for McCourt and Ladouceur, just getting the team into the playoffs. giving Ottawa a good run and the second half of the season the team enjoyed on the ice, they did a pretty respectable job, given what they had to work with. This is very perplexing,perhaps even disturbing, to say the least!!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 AM
DogFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Personally, I'm not entirely sure I'd want anything to do with Williamson right now.

As a General Manager, he's made more enemies than friends in the past year or so. It goes back to the Sarnia/Barrie controversy over Matt Martin over a year ago. Then the Mavric Parks thing with Kitchener this year, followed by the Rychel drafting.

Neate Sager sums it up pretty well here. http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...gertocontrover

Either way, sounds like more bridges have been burnt by him than built.
Perhaps Williamson really didn't have anything to do with drafting Rychel. As I said earlier the Burkes were overseeing the draft in Niagara and it would stand to reason, the Colts knew that Marty may be coming here they wouldn't let him control their draft either. Howie Campbell and Bill Burke are friends and there is no way Williamson come here without Campbell knowing it. Perhaps the scouts really did do all the drafting.
Just a guess on my part.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
4th Line

godogsgo14 is on a distinguished road

This doesn't make any sense. Obviously, Niagara knew they were going to fire Brown...yet they let him and his staff go through one of the biggest drafts we've had yet? Two top-10 draft picks, this is crucial in this league. You can turn your whole franchise around quickly in the OHL. No one knows how those two players will pan out, but the general consensus seems to be they are big gambles considering where they were selected. Why did Brown even get to make this decision if you're just going to fire him immediately after? Niagara has the best goalie in the league and a very young roster. Sprinkle in some excellent draft picks and this team can do some damage in the next few years, so I don't know how they can let someone make these decisions if he isn't part of the future.

As for the coaches being fired, is there anything to be said for continuity? How can you expect a team of young kids to grow when they will be on their third coach in three years this Fall. Just when the kids start trusting their coach and seeing results (the last two months of this season the team was really starting to gel and getting results, playing good hockey and they earned that playoff spot through hard work), they have to adjust and learn from new coaches the following year. I really thought the team was starting to head in the right direction after that New Year's Eve game vs Erie. They played very well from the start of the New Year right into the playoffs, and they made the playoffs when everyone was counting them out. Don't tell me the coaching staff didn't play a role in this turnaround. Let the kids grow with one coaching staff. I think the coaching staff did a great job considering the age of the roster and the talent they had on the team. Now they have to learn whole new systems and develop trust with new coaches...again. It seems like one step forward, two steps backward with this team sometimes.

Really frustrating, and the IceDogs have brutal timing on these things. Do you think Windsor or London would fire their coach five months after a season....and 1 week before the start of the next season? Why not just fire Mario at the end of the season and give yourself a summer to find a new coach? Firing a coach one week before the season starts makes you look foolish. And then firing your GM two days following the draft looks just as foolish.

This isn't a way to get kids to want to play here. This organization screams of instability, from the GM to the coaching staff to the arena situation. So unpredictable. And this is coming from an optimistic guy.