Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,352    Downloads: 945,911   Msgs Posted: 118,062   Thread Views: 18,923,369   Online Now: 65
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Big League

Thanked 2,025 Times in 964 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!
Default Associate Coach Ted Dent

Billy Burke is the head coach, but the Ice Dogs were very fortunate to be presented an opportunity to sign Ted Dent as the "Associate Coach".

Dent brings to the Ice Dogs numerous years of coaching success at the pro level.

The following is an excerpt from a story written by Elliotte Friedman (SPORTSNET) on October 18, 2017.

Four NHL seasons ago, Randy Carlyle was looking for new assistant coaches in Toronto. Dent discussed a job with the Maple Leafs, although there wasn’t a formal interview. The two men had a history, as Dent was video co-ordinator in Washington when Carlyle worked there as an assistant to Bruce Cassidy. Even though it didn’t happen, I was curious about someone in the Maple Leafs mix.

In 2006–07, he was with the Admirals (Chicago Blackhawks) affiliate. The roster included Bryan Bickell, Dave Bolland, Troy Brouwer, Adam Burish, Dustin Byfuglien, Corey Crawford and Kris Versteeg. All of those players won at least one Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks.

Chicago moved its affiliate to Rockford. He spent 11 years in the organization, the last six as the IceHogs’ head coach. The team was 44 games over .500 during his tenure, but it wasn’t always about winning. The AHL is a developmental league, and that’s what he was asked to do. Develop Blackhawks. It was a mutually beneficial relationship. He got a three-year extension in the summer of 2016. And he owns three Stanley Cup rings, which is what it is all about.

Last year, it all unravelled. Rockford was losing - and they announced Dent was gone, through a statement acknowledging he “played a major role in helping a number of players reach the NHL level… many of whom became Stanley Cup champions.”

Then came a crazy story by Christopher Hine and Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune. At the trade deadline, Chicago dealt three of Rockford’s best forwards. Spencer Abbott and Sam Carrick went to Anaheim, Mark McNeill to Dallas. According to the reporters, Dent tweeted — then deleted — his exasperation with the moves. He also told players who had concerns about the lineup to contact GM Stan Bowman directly.

He had 11 great years with us, a model employee, then he had a couple very bad days,” one Blackhawk said. He added that because of turmoil inside the organization after the playoff loss to Nashville, “It was the wrong time for that to happen.”

At that time, I’d never spoken to Dent. But now I was really curious. What happened there? I made a few requests, but he wanted to stay quiet. There were a couple of interviews…but no jobs.

With two years left on his contract, Dent could afford to sit, maybe scout for someone. But, as he said when we finally talked on Monday, “I’m a coach. I want to coach.” So he took an assistant’s role in OHL Niagara.

Dent took a deep breath when I asked him about Rockford. Initially, he didn’t want to talk about it. But, he admitted, considering his experience, he was surprised how hard it was to land in another spot.

“It was a rude awakening,” he said. He asked if I thought what happened had hurt him. I told him I heard it had. He paused.

“I know I should have kept that internal. Of course, I regret it. I wish it hadn’t happened. But when I think about [Chicago], there are only good memories. I’m proud of what we did there.” A representative from one organization that spoke to Dent said, “He took ownership of his mistake. We respected that.”

We’ve all been there. Had that one moment. Paid for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Big League

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Maple Leafs Assistant Coach Candidates: Ted Dent and Mark Morris
By Alec Brownscombe - Jun 9, 2014

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/...d-mark-morris/

The Hawks have done a good job of supplementing their high-end draft and trade-acquired talent with the successful drafting and developing of players out of the lower rounds, of which Dent has played a role.

"...if you’re looking for a fresh-blood up-and-comer type of candidate who has spent some time working for a team with a successful player development system, Dent qualifies."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,294 Times in 775 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I liked this signing right from the get-go.
He has a wealth of experience that I hope the two younger men listen when he speaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Big League

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I liked this signing right from the get-go.
He has a wealth of experience that I hope the two younger men listen when he speaks.
It was a really good signing. The "tweet — then delete" aside, Ted Dent is a highly-respected coach in pro hockey circles!
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Big League

How does Ted Dent match up? Here is a look at the Head Coaching experience of the Eastern conference teams.

ICE DOGS
Head Coach: Billy Burke 1st Season
Associate Coach: Ted Dent 1st Season
• 5 Years Video Coach Washington Capitals (NHL)
• 1 Year Head Coach (ECHL)
• 5 seasons Assistant Coach (Norfork/Rockford – AHL Chicago Affiliate)
• 6 seasons Head Coach (Rockford AHL)
• 221-179-33-21 record as the head coach with Rockford (AHL)
• 17 seasons coaching in the professional ranks.
• 3 Stanley Cup Rings

HC Jay Varady: Kingston 1st Season
Previous Head Coaching Experience: 4 season - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)

HC John Gruden: Hamilton 2nd Season
Previous Head Coach Experience: 1 season – Flint Firebirds (OHL)

HC James Richmond: Mississauga 2nd Season
Previous Head Coaching Experience: None

HC Bob Jones: Oshawa 2nd Season
Previous Head Coaching Experience: 1 Year Windsor / Associate Coach: 7 Years –Windsor (OHL)

HC Dale Hawerchuk: Barrie 8th Season

HC Stan Butler: North Bay/Brampton 19th Season
Previous Head Coaching Experience: 2-Oshawa (OHL), 1-Prince George Cougars (WHL)

HC André Tourigny: Ottawa 1st Season
Previous Head Coaching Experience: 9-Rouyn Noranda (QJHL), 1-Halifax (QJHL); NHL Assistant Colorado (2) – Ottawa (1)

HC Andrew Verner: Peterborough 1st Season

HC Cory Stillman: Sudbury 1st Season

Last edited by Blacksox; 01-24-2018 at 08:42 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

So is the plan to name Dent the Head Coach at some point? Is ‘mentoring’ Coach Burke why Dent is here? Given Dent’s resume, I wouldn’t think so.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Not to be negative on Mr. Dent, he was re leaved of his duties duties for some tweets where he grumbled about Chicago Gm Bowman.

I really liked the hiring at the time and still like it now.

Coming here was a god send in my eyes and who knows what the future will have in store.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Top Prospect

Chipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond repute

All that coaching experience and we still can't get the puck out of our end or score on the powerplay...hmmmm. so what do all those credentials mean? I guess once our guys absorb all of the knowledge and experience that he brings maybe we will win a round or two huh? Go Dogs.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Big League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperdog View Post
All that coaching experience and we still can't get the puck out of our end or score on the powerplay...hmmmm. so what do all those credentials mean? I guess once our guys absorb all of the knowledge and experience that he brings maybe we will win a round or two huh? Go Dogs.
There is an old saying that goes like: "We can take a horse to water, but, we cannot make him drink".
I my opinion as stated before, our players seem to want to make a simple game complicated.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Big League

The Ice Dogs players make mistakes! However, as Jeff Brown once said, “This is junior hockey, expect a lot of mistakes!”

He’s right! If you watch another young team, like you were a fan of that team, you would see a lot of the same mistakes. Where you would see a difference – is in the play of some of the older and more experienced teams. They make mistakes too - just less!

The impact of Ted Dent’s extensive pro experience and expertise is clearly evident. When you look at what Burke/Dent have accomplished with a young Ice Dogs team, (6th in the overall standings, a 24-14- 4- 2 record and .614 Winning %) is quite impressive– and far better than anyone’s would have predicted before the season started!

Last edited by Blacksox; 01-24-2018 at 03:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post: